Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I was considering this 2004 Apogee Sport from Ibex, (a factory direct company) for its value (I live close enough to pick up the bike in Atlanta).
I was an early single track Fisher hard tail rider and plan to re-enter the MTB world.
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/APG-SPT-Details.html

1. Any thoughts on the frame geometry, components etc (Its specs resemble a Titus swblade)

2. Anybody used this company?This bike?

Thanks in advance for advice
Bleu

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was looking at the same bike.

From what I've read about Ibex, mainly on mtbr, Ibex might be one of the better deals out there. Componet package looks servicable, but I've read so many bad things about the RockShox. Think about upgrading it.

I'm no expert, but the frame design seems proven and effective. Specialized FSR and GT i-drive frames are similar, if I am not mistaken. I did read reviews mentioning that monocroque frames tend to be noisy (Marin FS reviews). Again, they are many others on these forums that know much more about these things than than I do.

Anyway, was prepared to throw down $1700 on a Rocky Mountain ETSX, but then I read about the frame breaking ...

The only thing keeping me from buying an Ibex Apogee is the inability to test ride it.

·
Clydesdale Warrior
155 Posts
Bleu8 said:
1. Any thoughts on the frame geometry, components etc (Its specs resemble a Titus swblade)
You are compairing a $1000 bike to a $3000+ bike...that would be like compairing a Ford Focus to a Porche 911...sure both will get you from point A to point B, but don't expect them to ride the same.

The biggest difference is that the Titus has a Horst Link 4 bar (the rear pivot is on the chain stay), and the Ibex has a seat stay pivot (there are many great bikes with seat stay pivot designs, but the switch blade is not one of them). The Ibex's similar look to the Switchblade is only cosmetic, they are verry different bikes. So compairing these bikes does not make sense.

As for the Ibex as a choice to buy. I have not had the fortune to ride one, so I can not comment there. The biggest negitive for Ibex I can think of is that they are mail order only (correct me if I am mistaken), which means may make it difficult to select the right size and impossible to test ride. Check out the reviews of those who ordered them, and try to find a bike with similar geometry at a LBS to see if it will fit you right before ordering.

sh0rty :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Something to consider when buying Ibex

Just something to consider.

Be very carefully when considering Ibex bicycles.

If you inted to "ride stairs" with this bike, Ibex informed me they will not warranty the bike or even sell the bike for that matter. Ibex considers this "intending to abusing the bike".

Even after informing Ibex I simply wanted a bike that could handle "light trails, rock trails, city \ country roads, city curbs, and going down steps." Ibex still refused to sell the bike.

I checked with a local dealer who informed me the bikes (Giant line) he was selling were covered by warranty even if I intended to take the bike down a set of steps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts