Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's the feasibility of building an 09 Avalanche frame as a longer travel AM rig?

The headtube angle is listed as 71deg with a 100mm fork which seems to give some leeway to use a longer travel fork.

I'm thinking 130mm max, which should give a 69.5 deg headtube angle. The chainstays are about 16.5 " (420mm). I forget what the stock wheelbase is, but I know it's shorter than most

From what I've read, the Avalanche frames are pretty stout, can they handle heavier duty? (not extreme duty) Will a longer travel fork make the geometry poor for my intended use?

What are your thoughts on this idea?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an '09 Avalanche, and I recently outfitted it with some RS Tora 318 coils. Good lord what a huge improvement. The tora 318 coil is adj. from 85-120 and the geometry differences between the settings is drastic - which is awesome, because you can tweak it for what you want. I haven't looked at the angles with it on yet (just put it on last week) but I think it works great, especially if you're on a budget. I love the frame - I'm a hardtail junkie but this thing will just take a beating and keep going. First ride with the new fork I would just go over things instead of around them as I did with the stock suntours. Granted that's more of the fork doing the work, but I had no qualms going over some rougher stuff with the avalanche frame.

I would recommend it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.