Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Homers, I'm really excited that I've decided on a Pack as my "new to me" bike, but I'm having a real hard time deciding which fork to go with. I did a search on the topic, but didn't get alot of the comparison info I was hoping for. If anyone has experience with both forks I would dig some opinions.

The bike will be my primary/trail bike, and I like the techy climbs and aggressive descents. My concerns are if the geometry will be affected with the Pike, even though I like the adjustments it has, its cheaper and weighs less. I'm leaning towards the Z1, but have not ridden ETA and am not sure how I'll like it.

I saw on the database thread that the majority of you are running Zoke's verses the Pikes, and was hoping for some input. Thanks...I'll post the build and some pics when it all comes together.

-Jeff

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I've been running the coil Pike since the summer on my Pack and really love it.
But it is a tad short on travel at 140mm and it sharpens the HA by almost a degree to just under 69.
I recently solved the HA problem with a 7mm Ventana King crown race spacer. Makes the bike feel more natural.

Attachments

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
06 66s are 3.3mm shorter than Z1s. They ain't cheap, but are burlier, and the SL is about the same weight as a Z1.

_MK

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
or 17mm higher!

MK_ said:
06 66s are 3.3mm shorter than Z1s. They ain't cheap, but are burlier, and the SL is about the same weight as a Z1.

_MK
MK,
Are comparing 150mm settings in both? Meaning the Z1 150 is 538mm and the 66sl set at 150mm is 535? I am pretty sure the 66sl set at full travel (170mm) is 555mm. Take it down to 160mm and you have 545mm.

please correct me if I am wrong!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I have a Z1 FR1 with a TAS rod in it so I can reduce the axle to crown distance (and travel) from the extended 540mm (150mm travel) to a Pike-height of 520mm (130mm travel). The new Zoke Z1 Light does the same thing as they added TAS in 06. Highly recommended. At the shorter length the bike does get a bit sportier handling. Good for climbing or some trail use, but I generally prefer the fork extended, especially for faster use or descending. If you are coming off an xc bike you may actually prefer the shorter A-C for a while, but you will soon get used to the slacker angles and slower hanlding of the extended version.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
um, I'm not quite with you on this one....

I'm almost with you on this one, but not quite following what the numbers mean to the geometry of the bike.

I'm coming off of a weyless xp (heckler clone) with 69' head angle with a Minute 1. I definately used the travel adjustment for the climbs and then lifted the fork back up for the descents. I also ride a big hit for dh and occasional trail riding and don't seem to mind the slacker HA of that bike in the 68" mode.

I'm more concerned about a steep HA than a slack one which is why I'm not so sure about the Pike. thanks for the input guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts