Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my eye on these (7.3, 7.5) but the Supergo here doesn't carry this line for some reason. I have read a little about them, but not much. Anyone have first hand experience? Also, I am 5' 11", would a 17"(small) be too little?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Couple of guys on the IH forum have one and have posted some pics and ride reports -- look for posts by shizzle-dizzle and Dr. Death. There is also a well written review on PinkBike that was posted about three weeks back.

If you haven't ridden a dw-link bike already, definitely seek one out -- 7Point or otherwise. Incredible suspension.

I'm building up an Iron Horse Hollowpoint MkIII but half-wonder if I should have went with the 7Point instead, just to mix it up a little.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speedub.NateIf you haven't ridden a dw-link bike already said:
Hmm, I asked this same question on the cycling portion of another web site where a guy said the same thing. I have heard from 3 people now that this suspension makes it one of the most pedal friendly freerides.

Thx, I'll check out the other posts. I still wish I could ride one in person. Damn.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Couple of guys on the IH forum have one and have posted some pics and ride reports -- look for posts by shizzle-dizzle and Dr. Death. There is also a well written review on PinkBike that was posted about three weeks back.

If you haven't ridden a dw-link bike already, definitely seek one out -- 7Point or otherwise. Incredible suspension.

I'm building up an Iron Horse Hollowpoint MkIII but half-wonder if I should have went with the 7Point instead, just to mix it up a little.
here ya go

lower the seat, increase the fork travel and u got the perfect fr bike (excluding the boxxer ride ;) )

is that a mongoose sticker?!?!?! :eek:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree

There is something weird looking about those bikes. I don't know if it is the thin and curved top tube or the strange looking seat or the dual crown with so little travel, I can't figure it out. However I still want one. Supergo does carry the entire 7 point line, they are all at 16% off currently, but can go as high as 43% off MSRP (7.7) apparently!

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Harvest72 said:
There is something weird looking about those bikes.
Agreed, but I like it. I was a little disappointed when I saw the MkIII looked so plain by comparison. Iron Horse gave both the 7Point and the Azure the bent tube treatment.

Only problem is when you go to warranty a tweaked frame, your shop will tell you, "Nope, it came bent!"

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
Harvest72 said:
Oh I won't be waiting for that to happen. But people actually got the bikes for that price right?
Absolutely. I've got one sitting in my dining room right now. Only problem was they forgot to send the saddle and post so I had to submit a claim. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or keep my Imperial.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Speedub.Nate I think I read somewhere that you half-wished you had gotten a 7 point instead of the MKIII? If this is so, why? Have you heard amazing things about the 7 point? Which one do you think is the 7point series bike to get? I was looking at the .5 personally. I does look a little strange though, I need more pictures

You know what bike looks amazing, the Uzzi VPX, now that looks amazing!

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Harvest72 said:
Speedub.Nate I think I read somewhere that you half-wished you had gotten a 7 point instead of the MKIII? If this is so, why?
If the dw-link on the 7Point pedals as well as on the Hollowpoints, the only thing going against that bike is the weight.

I was just thinking that since I ride alot of the same trails on my hardtail as I do on my HP, I should have mixed it up a little by going with the 7Point and trying out "the dark side", as Dante wrote this morning.

But reality is, I'm not a big hucker -- I'm just thinking big -- and I'm positive the MkIII is going to be more than enough bike for me.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
compares somewhere in between a SC heckler and a Bullit, like a Turner Six Pack or something.
Why is it that everyone thinks the 7point is just another trail/all mountain/heavy duty xc bike or whatever they're called these days? The 7 point series is very capable of taking bigger hits and I'm sure Weagle/Iron Horse wouldn't back down from calling it a freeride bike. It must be because they pedal well. Yeah, that's it, a freeride bike should pedal like poo!

Not directed specifically at you Robster, I'm seeing this line of thinking everywhere right now.

(nothing against the 6 pack)

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
exactly

Mike B. said:
Why is it that everyone thinks the 7point is just another trail/all mountain/heavy duty xc bike or whatever they're called these days? The 7 point series is very capable of taking bigger hits and I'm sure Weagle/Iron Horse wouldn't back down from calling it a freeride bike. It must be because they pedal well. Yeah, that's it, a freeride bike should pedal like poo!

Not directed specifically at you Robster, I'm seeing this line of thinking everywhere right now.

It should be compared against bikes that are built as burly - it does have a 150mm thru axle rear hub and 1.5" headtube. It's got less travel than a VP Free, but that and the VPX are obviously it's main competitors...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mike B. said:

I have a 7point7, and I have taken it down some NASTY DH trails without any problem.
All the 7point series is, is the DH bike with a full length seatpost, one inch less travel, and a steeper HT angle for hitting skinnies.

I use it as a trailbike/DH bike. For the XC side of trail riding, I'd get a MarkIII, but for the DH/freeride side, this is the PERFECT bike.
Or if you have local DH trails that are not shuttleable, then this is the perfect bike for you.

I got mine down to a little under 36lbs just by changing the cranks and tires (Stylo Team, and 3.5 highrollers) I can still hit big drops with it, Steep drop-ins, dirtjumps, OR pedal up that nasty fire road that seems to just go on forever.

I'm seriously thinking about selling my other bikes... it is that versatile.

Oh, btw, I'm 5'11 and ride a medium.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
If the dw-link on the 7Point pedals as well as on the Hollowpoints, the only thing going against that bike is the weight.

I was just thinking that since I ride alot of the same trails on my hardtail as I do on my HP, I should have mixed it up a little by going with the 7Point and trying out "the dark side", as Dante wrote this morning.

But reality is, I'm not a big hucker -- I'm just thinking big -- and I'm positive the MkIII is going to be more than enough bike for me.
The weight?
Really? :confused:

It is NOT a heavy bike.
Mine is down to under 36, and I'm sure that sub 35 is doable.
Plus, with how well this bike pedals, it is just like riding your Hollowpoint with a bit more water in your hydration pack.

Yeah, it isn't an XC bike, or sub 30lbs... so if your thing is to go out on epics and ride 30+ miles, then get the Mk III. If your thing is to finally be able to clear the tech sections and do 15+ mile rides on the hardest trails around, then this is what you want. Or if you want to finaly be able to pedal all the way to teh top of the local DH trailsm this is what you want.

The direct competition for this bike is the VPfree and VPX, and you can get one of these COMPLETE for the price of just the price of the frame of an Intense or SC. Plus, it probably pedals better than ethier of the other two. ;)

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
sizing

-bb- said:
I have a 7point7,

I'm seriously thinking about selling my other bikes... it is that versatile.

Oh, btw, I'm 5'11 and ride a medium.
So if you were 3" taller, would you have gotten a large? I'm probly fine w/ the large I ordered (esp considering I'm going to do be trailriding it 60% of the time), but after sitting on a 17" at the store, I'm curious...
And probably have a few more weeks of wondering until the framesets start shipping... :(

·
Registered
335 Posts
dbabuser said:
So if you were 3" taller, would you have gotten a large? I'm probly fine w/ the large I ordered (esp considering I'm going to do be trailriding it 60% of the time), but after sitting on a 17" at the store, I'm curious...
And probably have a few more weeks of wondering until the framesets start shipping... :(
Maybe? I dunno... Im not 3in taller. ;)

It probably will still be good.
I could probably ride a large right now. It isn't the seattube that matters, it is the TT length, and a little longer would probably be just fine.
I'm sure you will be fine on a Lg.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.