Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a start...who is this wan yan jay way fae what ever the hell he is...and what the hell is everyone on about i dont get it...i go away for 2 days and come back and have no god dam idea why u ppl are talkign about this guy... :confused:

anywas...a mate of mine wants a new frame...

and ive suggested...

DEMO9...
DEMO8...
NORCO VPS Team DH...
SINISTER R9...
BALFA BB7...
Rocky Mountinan RMX...

and im kinda having a mental blank other than a couple of others so what other frames can ppl think of that are either, around or under 3000aud (2100us or 2800can) he wants summin with 8" of travel or more with a progressive rear shock...

he reailises that interbike is like soon (end of november i thought) and thats when most new frames will be available for order etc. and he wont be getting one untill then so any new 05 frames are open for suggestion...

he rides pretty much FR and goes big so summin with some balls is needed...but also summin that can handle our tight north shore stuff and he doesnt like hugly heavy bikes either...

any thoughts guys... :D

(he like Geminis but we wernt sure how much the frames were and if there as bad as ppl say they are for FR...weve heard some bad stories... :confused: )

·
What's this for anyway???
145 Posts
Hey BJ, Firstly... as you probably know, I ride an Avanti D8.

here's the pic if you haven't already seen it:

Now, I think this is the bike for your mate for a few reasons...
1. It's going really really really cheap at the moment. Get in contact with VicMTB and DHDirect.com.au for the current deals.
2. It's a very tough frame, made of 4130 Military Spec. Steel.
3. It has a very progressive spring rate (I've only bottomed out a couple times off big drops. Check out my current avatar... didn't come close to bottoming off that)
4. It's hand made down under (NZ) and ya gotta keep it in the family... sorta
5. The current model uses a longer stroke shock than mine (2.75" instead of a 2.25")
6. I've never dropped a chain with the stock chainguide that it comes with.

And finally...

7. The RRP in Aus is $2599 from DHDirect (but I saw a 2nd hand frame and almost complete build kit for $950 with only 2 rides check out https://www.ftf.com.au/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=21)

Got any questions... Ask me!

---Matt---

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice matt...

yeh i know about ur beast...ive seen a black one in VIC with boxxers...and it was pretty sweet...somone i cant remember races it (who works there or summin) and tim was telling me how insanely sick he was at riding (fu>ck tims huge)...anyway id kick my self if he was talking about u...but urs isnt black...so i guess it wouldnt have been...anyways id like to see how that thing goes one day and ur monsters are nice...

we should organise summin one day...go to bulla with the VIC boys or summin...anyways...my mate after much bickering has decided on a DEMO8...so im happy with his decision...:D

as soon as he gets it i can ride it...:D

hehhehehe...anyways thanks for the suggestions...

(ur avanti looks very similar to the keewee cromos)

·
145 Posts
Yeah, it is a Keewee... here's the sticker to prove it:

They don't make it under the Avanti name since the start of this year because Keewee became a separate company. Avanti just bought the design and put their sticker on it.

The black model, in my opinion, looks nicer than mine but I love mine coz I think I'm the only one in Vic at the moment with that colour. I couldn't even test ride the frame before I bought it coz no one had it.

A ride some time sounds good. I've never been to Buller (other than just passing through on a camping trip) and I'd love to ride there! Petri said the track is awesome but needs a bit of work since the last race there coz the braking bumps were getting seriously bad. Maybe even go to the You Yangs track, if they open up the drops on the bottom half of the track. They're closed off at the moment because people were hurting themselves off them and they're not too small.
If you do come down to Melbourne, I might be able to show you where our secret jumps are (if they're still there) If you like dirt jumping and drops, our spot is awesome! My avatar is one of the drops there but I'm sizing up a much bigger one further along the cliff (just think steep roll in to a 10' drop :D). We also just built an 8m gap jump which is pretty fun to hit, but scary as hell and you have to hit it at about 40km/h!

I think the Demo 8 will be a great bike, if the Demo 9 is anything to go by! I'd love to try it out and see how it feels. I've never been a big fan of horst link bikes, ever since a mate had a very old monocoque avanti moto with a horst link on it... it just never rode well.

When's your mate gonna get the bike?

---Matt---

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sweet...

yeh i reckon the black one did look pretty sweet...

anyways i reckon a ride sounds good...me and the boys could do with a break form our trails and summin new to ride would be great...so maby in a couple of weeks or summin we'll come down...and ur avatars sweet...how would i make one...and where in melbourne is there drops like that... :confused:

my mate cant get it untill th end of november when i think there cummin out and plus he has to save up some more so i shouldnt be too long (might be tho)...

and im saving up for a iron horse DW...so i might not be able to make it if i have no bike...

(im at skool.........i asked the boys and thed love to ride some big stuff...weve got a 10-12 footer and a couple of 18 foot doubles but thats about it...)

·
145 Posts
Like I said, it's a secret location but you can see the city from there and it's less than a 40 min ride on a DH bike to the CBD. The big drop isn't droppable yet coz there's a HUGE box thorn tree in the way so we're getting some saws in there sometime soon to clear it out...

With the Avatar, I just got some video and used the program, ULead Gif Animator. You can open video files and convert each frame to a pic that works in a gif. It's really cool! The hardest part is getting it below the 19.5k size limit and still getting it to look good.

---Matt---

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice...

ill see if u can get summin like that coz i wouldnt mind a nice avatar like that...anyways ur secret spot sounds nice...i told the boys and they liked the idea of a ride in the city or around it so when we can come or whatever ill send u a PM or make a Thread about it or summin and we can work summin out...

(yeswayjay ur a retard)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Huckster

Hey, before your friend decides on a bike you should look at the huckster. Its a fairly light bike, but it still has a sweet ride. It has 8" in the rear, and the full bike comes stock with a slider plus. And the full built bike's msrp is only $2999. Its a way smooth ride. With the design, and the swinger in the rear, you can have a extremely progressive rear, and with the sliders, a progressive front. And if your worried about going big, this drop was on a huckster. Sweet bike though, cause with the spv you can still pedal it around, but yet it takes all the hits.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks man...but living in aus...u cant get many exotic frames like u US boys can (example a canfield bros F1)...thanks for the help and the sweet action pics tho...but hes decided and is quite stubborn...

so its a DEMO8...

(a good decision at that)

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Moenkopi said:
Hey, before your friend decides on a bike you should look at the huckster. Its a fairly light bike, but it still has a sweet ride. It has 8" in the rear, and the full bike comes stock with a slider plus. And the full built bike's msrp is only $2999. Its a way smooth ride. With the design, and the swinger in the rear, you can have a extremely progressive rear, and with the sliders, a progressive front. And if your worried about going big, this drop was on a huckster. Sweet bike though, cause with the spv you can still pedal it around, but yet it takes all the hits.

hey sorry for the thread hijack, but Moenkopi whats the bb height like on the huckster. someone told me it was really high. does it make it ride weird?

thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
konabiker said:
hey sorry for the thread hijack, but Moenkopi whats the bb height like on the huckster. someone told me it was really high. does it make it ride weird?

thanks
The bottom bracket height one the Huckster with a 7" fork is 14.5". Check out the new issue of FLOW with a test of the Huckster and opinions from riders out on it at Boot Leg Canyon.

BJ- We have been working on bringing Astrix to Australia. Contact Dirt Works Australia www.dirtworks.com.au and see if they can help. Or contact us and we can take care of you.

Mike Wilson is Shuntavi's son and one of our freeriders we work with. Mike did the double drop (6 to 25+) on the Huckster while filming for the movie SUSPECT.

Ryan Carroll
Astrix Sports

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.