Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm quite new to all this biking business so bear with me. I'm mainly a xc rider and looking to replace the drive on my rockhopper. Currently on a 3x9 set up but am thinking about doing away with 1 or maybe 2 of the forward gears as I tend not to use them. What set ups would people recomend? 2x9, 1x11,1x9 etc. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I still prefer the 2x9.. the large gear I just replaced with a bash guard and adjusted the stop on the front derailed to stop at the middle. done.

simple, cheap, works, reliable.

1x10 looks interesting.. but thinner chains, more chain flex, more expensive (thou I noticed lately the prices are equalling out some) just don't see it worth it to switch. If I were to buy a new bike and it had 10 speed on it I'd probably leave it.

the 11 is the same for me.. just seems like a lot of $$$ for little gain for my riding style.. racer?.. sure, regular "weekend rider" ? nope.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Hey guys. I'm quite new to all this biking business so bear with me. I'm mainly a xc rider and looking to replace the drive on my rockhopper. Currently on a 3x9 set up but am thinking about doing away with 1 or maybe 2 of the forward gears as I tend not to use them. What set ups would people recomend? 2x9, 1x11,1x9 etc.
If upgrading I'd go 2x10 then you can get a clutch derailleur. If just replacing a der or ring I'd stay 9spd. Although I was surprised that it was more for a 9spd xt der than it was for a 10 spd, non clutch anyway.

·
Registered
14,853 Posts
Since you're "quite new" to this mountain biking business i think you should stick with the gearing you already have until you're sure of the range you need. At this early stage you can't really know for sure.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Since you're "quite new" to this mountain biking business i think you should stick with the gearing you already have until you're sure of the range you need. At this early stage you can't really know for sure.
Could it be Scott Novak trying to expand his drivetrain needs? I wonder.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts