Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, IDK if it's worth it for me to get an indoor trainer. I don't race, and just bike to get/keep in shape/loose weight. I've lost 30 LBS since I bought my bike, and I want to loose 20 more, but winter's here and It's a PITA to clean my bike in the cold when it's covered in road salt. I would probably only use it for snowy/rainy days. Are these things really worth it if you are not a racer? Ae they interchangable?(can I use the same one for my road bike and my MT bike?). How much do they go for? Should I expect to pay like 200 or like 2,000 bucks? Any advise/input would be awesome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got a really good (top of the line, but used) trainer for $220. I'd say it's worth it, because I love mine. I've got a nice setup in the garage with a 13 inch TV and DVD player, plus a stereo for when I run out of movies to watch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bike for the same reasons as you. I bought a trainer in November and am very happy that I did - I'd like to bike outside in the cold but unfortunately between the occasional bronchitis and glasses fogging up it's not very much fun.

I've been able to keep my fitness level up and my weight down through the holidays by riding every other day for an hour or so, very similar to what I was doing outside during the warmer weather. I also like the fact that I'm maintaining my stamina, so I won't be back to ground zero and sucking wind in the spring.

My recommendation: get one. Just make sure you have something to keep your mind occupied because it is not nearly as much fun as really biking. I have mine in the basement with my heart rate monitor and iPod to keep me company.

·
Registered
524 Posts
hizzity said:
I was thinking the same thing but wonder if I should get a trainer or a stationary bike. what are peoples opinion?
I race in C grade where we have fun with a bit of 'mates racing' rather than tying to get a trophy at the end of the season. So I'd say I ride and race for the fun.

But I do own a trainer as staying fit is really important to me. I'd go with a Mag Trainer. A basic one with a remote for at least 3 settings is good. IMO, stationary bikes don't feel natural. The cockpit on those things are for Hybrid bike riders. I like my bike position and saddle, so the stationary trainer is the go. If you really want a workout try out rollers.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Get a good fluid or mag trainer. It doesn't matter what crappy bike you use for it as long as it fits you. You will get into killer shape if you push it. I highly recommend some type of torture dvd such as spinervals.

Drew

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I have it narrowed down to two trainers (so I think) anyone have any experience with any of these I checked Epinions.com but that was no help. One was a CycleOps Mag with remote shifter for 180 bucks, and second was the Kurt Kinetic Cyclone for 170 bucks. I really want to keep it under 200 bucks if possible.

The Cyclone was on sale form 199 but it has two fans for resistance, and said speed sensitive resistance from 5-1000 watts(can someone explain this in general to me), and has a lifetime warranty.

The CycleOps is magnetic, includes a training DVD and has a remote (handlebar mounted) resistance shifter.

Which one should I go for?

Thanks again in advance,
Steve

·
Registered
847 Posts
Don't go by price alone

Mag units are reliable and relatively quiet depending on the model. However they have the least "road-like" feel to them and require adjusting levels because they are not progressive in resistance.

Fan units are reliable and inexpensive. Loudest of all the trainers.

Fluid trainers have good road-like feel and have progressive resistance. Expensive. Quiet. Potential to leak?

Centrifugal resistance(1upusa and blackburn) have good road-like feel and have progressive resistance. Expensive. Quiet.

Go to a bike shop and try them out.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
cycleops

I have a cycleops fluid+ and have at least 100 hrs on it, maybe more. It has been great. However it was waranteed after about a week of owning it because the fluid drive unit died. I cant say a thing bad about mine except the initial failure. My trainer is 10 yrs old now amd still works perfectly.

Drew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.