Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost didn't want to post in 2 places (fear of people calling it spam), but I wanted to get your opinions because your DH Riders on the new bike and I dont think most of you would hit the Sette Section.

Sette USA said:
Torment your adversaries with the Sette Vexx Complete Bike.

The Vexx DH bike is based upon classic DH geometry that will give it the versatility to perform in a variety of terrain. Although most of us fantasize about having a mountain with lift access in our backyard and wide open trails, the reality is most of us are shuttling our local single track or hitting our favorite session area where tighter turns and occasionally slower speeds are a part of the deal. The Vexx 6061 aluminum 8.5" travel frame is incredibly well thought out and keeps this reality in mind. The top tube is of monocoque construction to achieve focused, precise steering, all while maintaining plenty of clearance for maneuvering around on the frame. The Vexx also features CNC machined struts and linkage for superior tracking through the toughest terrain.

It's important to get the angles right, and the Vexx nails it with a 66 degree 1.5" machined head tube. You may need to re-visualize what lines are possible with the Vexx, yet the steering will never feel sluggish. You'll be in control of what lines to take, not the bike. Front to back, every detail is attended to: The bottom bracket gives you the wide stance of an 83mm shell and integrated ISCG (old) tabs for superior chain guide performance. Not only are all of the pivot bearings sealed but they are oversized at 10mm instead of the usual industry standard of 8mm. The rear triangle incorporates a 12 x 150mm bolt on thru-axle (supplied) that virtually eliminates flex in the frame. This decreases the amount of dish necessary for the rear wheel, making it stronger and more reliable. Sette has also provided a CNC machined replaceable rear derailleur hanger to take the substantial abuse of a DH rig. Suspension is controlled by the RockShox Vivid 4.1, a masterful shock that includes adjustments for both ending and beginning stroke rebound. The preload on the spring is also adjustable. All of the cable and hydraulic brake guides are logically well placed.

The parts spec on this bike is pretty choice. Sette wanted to make sure that every component inspired confidence and trust and came from manufacturers whose reputations were top notch. Up front is the RockShox Boxxer Race that incorporates the new Mission Control DH damper that features dual Flow Adjust compression and rebound as well as a new Maxle Lite DH. A SRAM X9/X7 drivetrain speeds things up and Avid Code 5s will slow you down when things get too exciting. The Gravity MegaExo DH cranks and bottom bracket are ready to handle the abuse of repeated sprints and pedal digs of crowded rock gardens. The cranks even come already equipped with an E13 bash guard. And what better company to start your wheel build with than Mavic? The Mavic EX729 Rims are mated to a Formula DHL-150 rear hub and Sette's own 20mm thru-axle front hub with sealed cartridge bearings. The Vexx is ready for most anything you throw at it and will help you push the boundaries of whatever gravity allows.

Command the perfect line with the Sette Vexx DH frame
Specs:

Frame Aluminum 6061
Size(s) Small (23.03"/58.5cm), Medium (24.21"/61.5cm)
Fork Rock Shox Boxxer Race
Rear Shock Rock Shox Vivid 4.1 (Steel Spring 350lbs for small frame/400 lbs for medium frame)
Shifters SRAM X7, 9-Speed Trigger
Front Derailleur N/A
Rear Derailleur SRAM X9 Short Cage
Shifter Cable/Housing Alligator PTFE 5mm Black Housing
Brake Levers Avid Code 5
Front Brake Avid 203mm Rotor
Rear Brake Avid 203mm Rotor
Hoses Avid Hydraulic Hose
Crankset Gravity MegaExo DH, Quad Integrated, AL7075 3mm 36T, 170mm, two tone black
Bottom Bracket Gravity MegaExo DH, BB-7550 (83mm ) included
Cassette SRAM PG 970DH MTB 11-26T 9-Speed
Chain SRAM PC-971
Headset FSA Orbitz 1.5" Internal
Handlebar Gravity DH OS AL2014 Butted Aluminum, 31.8, 40mm Rise, Black Anodized, Laser Logo
Grips/Tape Sette S-Type Locking Grips, Black
Stem Gravity Direct Connect, Black, AL6061 Forged CNC, 45-50mm Extension Adjustable, Laser Logo
Saddle Sette Strike DH Saddle - Black
Seatpost Kalloy SP - 601, 31.6mm Shot-Peened Black
Rims Mavic EX729 32H Black, Schrader Valve
Front Hub Sette 20mm Thru Axle, 6-bolt Disc Brake, 32H black, heavy-duty cartridge sealed bearings
Rear Hub Formula DHL-150 9-Speed Disc, Alloy Black, 12mm Axle by 150mm, 32H
Spokes 14G straight, black stainless spokes and black Brass nipples
Pedals Wellgo B103 Platform Pedaless
Front Tire Kenda Nevegal 26" x 2.5, Black, 60TPI, Steel Bead 2 Ply
Rear Tire Kenda Nevegal 26" x 2.5, Black, 60TPI, Steel Bead 2 Ply
Color(s) Flat Black
Warranty 5 Years
Weight 43.5lbs/19.73kg (w/Pedals, Small Size Avg.)

The Vexx is not for sale yet :( I was told it would be very soon, yesterday was in fact the earliest they would be on sale. The price is estimated to be about $2600.00.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think its a good entry-level bike and spec'd out fairly decent. A bit on the heavy side for me and the wheelbase looks shorter than I would like personally.
Definetly a good budget racer.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tedman said:
I think its a good entry-level bike and spec'd out fairly decent. A bit on the heavy side for me and the wheelbase looks shorter than I would like personally.
Definetly a good budget racer.
What is more of a preferred DH Wheel Base in your opinion?

Geometry if any one is interested.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well now that you posted the spec's I'd say that's ok on the medium sizing.
It just appears shorter to my eye in the pic..
I like a near 46 wheelbase for stability of crusing thru sweepers. But it depends on the track too. All courses are different and a frame that has adjustability is better for adapting to the changes. But the downside is there aren't many building these type of frames and the price usually goes up.
One other thing to consider is the HT angle. Its a little steep. I would say most of the top notch manufacturers are going with 64-65 degree on the 8+ inch travel frames.
You could always run a 24 inch rear wheel to relax the HA angle some for a lot cheaper than a more exspensive frame. I used to run a 24 inch rear wheel on my MARIN TeamDH and it made all the difference. It accelerates quicker but spins out a lot faster unless you get your gearing correct on the rear. In 99 the 24 was catching on but died out quickly for some reason. But hey, it worked well for me. I was on the podium every race in 99 on the 24 wheel. So its a cheap fix to the HA dilemma.
But not a bad choice if you're just getting into this.
You may not like DH so don't dump your wad all at once. Try it out first and make sure its your thing. Besides you'll get a new bike again anyway. We all do!

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
The vexx is available, check pricepoint for example (frame only).

There is a dude on here that has/had one a while back, did a full custom paint/build with one, do a search for it.

Oh and I don't think there is a problem posting in multiple forums if you mention it as a x post, its only spam if you're trying to sell something!

Asking for advice from the DH forum on a DH frame is totally cool. :)

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
essenmeinstuff said:
The vexx is available, check pricepoint for example (frame only).

There is a dude on here that has/had one a while back, did a full custom paint/build with one, do a search for it.

Oh and I don't think there is a problem posting in multiple forums if you mention it as a x post, its only spam if you're trying to sell something!

Asking for advice from the DH forum on a DH frame is totally cool. :)
I know about the frame its been out for a few months, its the whole bike that is the big news. I know who are referring to the Fiero/Vexx all done up with Orange.

Not asking for advice personally, more like a critic of the setup of the bike. Things that could be done better, that sort of thing.

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
Dremer03 said:
I know about the frame its been out for a few months, its the whole bike that is the big news. I know who are referring to the Fiero/Vexx all done up with Orange.

Not asking for advice personally, more like a critic of the setup of the bike. Things that could be done better, that sort of thing.
Why is the whole bike "big news"??

Its just a company offering a build kit on a catalog frame.

Are you working for/with the company to help them develop a better build? (I see the "vested in sette" in your sig.)

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
essenmeinstuff said:
Why is the whole bike "big news"??

Its just a company offering a build kit on a catalog frame.

Are you working for/with the company to help them develop a better build? (I see the "vested in sette" in your sig.)
Not working for or with, just wanted to see what DH guys thought of the bike.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I dig that bike! Its actually pretty good looking the specs are good aside of the HA but if its more parallel or rearward arch on the rear suspension it will work good and you can drop a boxxer down and a zero stack HS to get another 1/2 degree usually king is 24.5mm stack there are ones that are 12 + and 12mm (1/2") is generally 1/2 a degree.
Like stated above a 24" rear would slacken it up a bit as well.

Good looking bike though, I think is great they came out with a dh/fr rig finally. Good for them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I personally think that it's pretty awesome for the price. Nothing that most beginners would need to replace immediately, but in the long run could upgrade to lower rise handlebar and parts to shed weight. Geo is a little bit steep with high BB - better tight quarters / east coast bike.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
I would think that if you are interested in resale value, you would not get the Sette. Lots of good/great bikes you can get right now USED, for the same price or less.

PS There was a dude at Northstar last year, decked out in Sette gear (clothing/armor), with a Sette bike. He didn't get too much "love" from other riders to say the least.

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
I think it's a sweet rig at a great price, My fiance' rolls an XC model Sette and I've been impressed with the quality for the price; a lot of value for sure. The design of the Vexx is pretty well proven, think Tomac, and who cares if you don't get love from other riders.....that's a silly reason to buy anything........are we still in highschool or what?

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wasea04 said:
I think it's a sweet rig at a great price, My fiance' rolls an XC model Sette and I've been impressed with the quality for the price; a lot of value for sure. The design of the Vexx is pretty well proven, think Tomac, and who cares if you don't get love from other riders.....that's a silly reason to buy anything........are we still in highschool or what?
Its a fairly widely used frame.

http://www.fezzari.com/products/index/Widows_Peak_-_Deemax/17/36

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have to agree with wasea04. It doesn't matter what "love" you get from other riders (unless another rider is your girl!)
This sport is too exspensive to worry about that. I was getting plenty of love from other riders whose bikes cost twice what my MARIN did because I was kicking their a**es in points! Skills, dedication, and passion are what win this game.
You have to ride what you can afford.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Cable0guy said:
I would think that if you are interested in resale value, you would not get the Sette. Lots of good/great bikes you can get right now USED, for the same price or less.

PS There was a dude at Northstar last year, decked out in Sette gear (clothing/armor), with a Sette bike. He didn't get too much "love" from other riders to say the least.
I wouldnt want to ride with those guys anyway :skep:

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Cable0guy said:
I .

why is that??

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
why is that??
I guess you had to be there. I should have taken a picture. It wasn't the bike necessarily, but more of how he was dressed like a racer. All matching in black/white, in almost like a skin-suit type of outfit with armor, top to bottom, with the logo "Sette" everywhere. Kind of like how racers dressed for the World Championship before they outlawed skinsuits. Plus he had a XC/AM Sette bike with his seatpost all the way up. Just looked ridiculous, more so at Northstar. We asked him whether he worked at Pricepoint/Sette, and he didn't; he just liked the brand.

My main point was that Sette is a in-house knock-off brand. I rather get a good used bike for the same price. In fact, a couple of months ago I saw a Cove Shocker with a Boxxer WC and all high end parts being sold for $2300 after being used for a season by a Canadian pro. If I didn't already have a DH bike, I would have grabbed that one for sure. And as you posted before, M3/M6 deals can be found on eBay as well. If used Cove and Intense bikes go for those kind of prices, I hate to think what the resale values of Sette bikes are.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.