Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first bike after a Decade off of two wheels. I pretty much aiming for a good all-around bike and have narrowed my selections down to 2 bikes.
I live in Fremont and Work in Cupertino so I have access to nice rides. So, IYO...

07 Cannondale Prophet 4 - Mostly Shimano LX with XT Re Der. Shimano LX Hydro Brakes

or

Mountain Cycle San Andreas - Similar Component set to the Cannondale

Both are nice bikes and Unique in their own right so I just wanted to capture some feedback before I put down the Plastic.

Thanks Y´all!

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Good all around trail bike?

I might throw in there the Specialized Stumpy 120, the Giant Trance, or one of the other myriad of 4-5" travel trail bikes. Keep in mind you have to pedal that thing up a hill, and there are a lot of hills around here.

Cannondale makes great bikes, but just be sure you aren't going there because you recognize the name from 10 years ago.

Since you've been off the bike, I would suggest going out and riding everything you can throw a leg over. See what sings to you. Listen to the bike shop rats, but keep in mind they are trying to get you to drop cash with them. When I went bike shopping for the first time after a long break in riding, I bounced between a few bike shops before my BS detector stopped going off. There are a lot of folks out there with bad info. Take it all with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check out the Stumpjumper fsr. Most bike shops that sell Specialized will let you take one out for demo so you actually get to ride it on the trail. Just make sure it's set up for you. They'll probably charge you like $50. for the demo that will go toward your purchase if you buy a specialized though. I agree with pimpbot too. Do your research, ride everything then pick the shop that feels best. When I think of buying a bike I feel I'm buying the shop too. Those are going to be the people you go back to when you have those scratch your head repairs. I agree too to listen to the shop rats, most of those guys aren't working there to get rich, but keep in mind they're definitely going to push some brands harder than others because of the bottom line. Anyway, I ride a Stumpjumper expert and my wife has the stumpy comp. and we both love them. We do a lot of climbing and I constantly leave one of my buddies on a hard tail in the dust. He's always commenting on how it doesn't bob. Also, we took em up to Downieville last weekend and they were buttery smooth on the downhill. We've had em for about 4 months now but this is my second Specialized. Hope this helps. Good luck

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
There are many other "all around" bikes out there. Just wondering why you aren't looking into them? Never heard of Mountain Cycle.

Also check other forums "What bike to buy?".

What about price range? 1500-1900?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Graduate

Buy a Hard Tail and learn how to ride it first. Then graduate to an FS.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Decisions, decisions...

I feel your pain. I am in the market for an upgrade and all the choices are spinning my mind. Do your research and then get on those bikes to get a good feel on how they match your riding I rode 4-5 bikes that I "liked on paper" and then bought the one I felt most comfortable on. If you like more than one bike and can't make up your mind, pick the one with the shop you felt most comfortable with and that has good factory support to back thier product.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to answer some of the Q´s that popped up.

-My budget is up to about $1700
-I have looked at other bikes and have kinda put it down to the Cannondale & Mountain Cycle because I´ve lusted after them for so long, especially the San Andreas. (Been Looking since January and checked out Iron Horse, Kona, Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc.)
-I do have riding experience but that was a decade ago and then I lost the passion for it. I also Ride MC´s on the Street and the Dirt but I´ve given up the Street because of too many Distracted drivers and close calls.
-I´d Love an NSR500, but I don´t have the cash or the connections to get one. Although, the NSR250 I briefly rode was awesome. If I could, I like to get another NSR250, or maybe an RVF450. I just Love them smaller bikes because of their character and the fact I´m not too big on big HP. I like to cruise around a and spook big bikes through the twists even though they pull away on the straights!
BTW... I´m an Aquarius, so I guess that explains why I like weird looking bikes like the San Andreas and Lefty forks on Cannondales.

·
another bozo on the bus
1,244 Posts
NSR500 said:
-I´d Love an NSR500, but I don´t have the cash or the connections to get one. Although, the NSR250 I briefly rode was awesome. If I could, I like to get another NSR250, or maybe an RVF450. I just Love them smaller bikes because of their character and the fact I´m not too big on big HP. I like to cruise around a and spook big bikes through the twists even though they pull away on the straights!
RD350 are relatively cheap thrills as far as tweaky 2 strokers go. Here is my latest giant killer project with RZ swing arm, CBR shock w/ custom linkage and ducati/ R1 braking.

I sold this little rat bike about a year ago which was pieced together for about $800...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
washedup said:
RD350 are relatively cheap thrills as far as tweaky 2 strokers go. Here is my latest giant killer project with RZ swing arm, CBR shock w/ custom linkage and ducati/ R1 braking.

I sold this little rat bike about a year ago which was pieced together for about $800...
That´s awesome Man! I just Love throwing up clouds of Blue Smoke and the Raspyness of a 2 Stroker!
Your bike is going to be a Screamer...

·
my body breaks the falls
1,456 Posts
Ahhh... the sweat memories of my first head injury - brought to me via my old, beloved RD400. Those things were such a kick in the pants. Maybe it's time to build another one. I do have about 8 cubic feet of garage space left for another toy ;)

·
weekend worrier
562 Posts
NoBalance said:
Never heard of Mountain Cycle.
The Mountain Cycle San Andreas was one of the pioneers in the use of monocoque frame design and, I believe, one of the first bikes to come with disc brakes--way back in the early 1990s. The San Andreas is the ancestor of modern day all-mountain and freeride bikes.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
There is a Mountain Cycle in the Sf MoMa!

have you though about the SC Heckler, in your price range, great bike can be built up light XC or heavy AM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts