Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i need some advise, im 5' 7" 135 lbs, and am looking for my first new bike, i want a bike that comes stock with alright components and the best bang for the buck"im a college student, under 600$". heres a list of what i am already looking at what do you all think?

Gary Fisher Marlin
Ibex Alpine 550 or 650
Marin B-17
iron horse Mavrick disk
Haro v4

Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.
-Austin-

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.......................

springera1 said:
well i need some advise, im 5' 7" 135 lbs, and am looking for my first new bike, i want a bike that comes stock with alright components and the best bang for the buck"im a college student, under 600$". heres a list of what i am already looking at what do you all think?

Gary Fisher Marlin
Ibex Alpine 550 or 650
Marin B-17
iron horse Mavrick disk
Haro v4

-Austin-
Austin,
>>My vote goes for IBEX..The ALP 550 is a nice bike IMO, has a good drive-train and at $499 its a good gang for the buck deal..I realize your trying to stay under the $600 mark..But for the extra $100 that the 650 cost. you get a better drive-train, brakes and fork..I'll put up the specs on both bikes so its easier to compare:

(CLICK>) 07' ALP 550 $499
Frame: 6061 Aluminum
Fork: Manitou Axel Super Lockout w/ Air* 80mm
Shifters: Shimano Alivio
Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Crankset: Shimano Alivio (42/32/22T)
Cassette: Shimano HG50 8-spd (11-32T)
Chain: Shimano HG40
Brakes: Hayes MX-4 Mechanical Disc Brakes
Levers: Hayes HML
Rims: WTB SpeedDisc Double-Wall
Hubs: Formula
Tires: WTB VelociRaptor - 26" x 2.10
Headset: Aheadset STS-2K
Cockpit Set: UNO Alloy
Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
Pedals: Wellgo Platform w/ Toe-Clips
* shock pump required

(CLICK>) 07' ALP 650 $599
Frame: 6061 Aluminum
Fork: Manitou Slate Super Lockout - 80mm Better
Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapidfire Better
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore Better
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX Better
Crankset: Shimano M442 Better
Cassette: Shimano HG 50 9-spd (11-32T) 9spd up-grade
Chain: Shimano HG53 9spd up-grade
Brakes: Avid BB-5 Mechaincal Discs Better
Levers: Avid FR-5 Better
Rims: WTB SpeedDisc Double-Wall Alloy
Hubs: Formula
Tires: WTB VelociRaptor - 26" x 2.10
Headset: Aheadset STS-2K
Cockpit Set: UNO Alloy
Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
Pedals: Shimano M505 Clipless w/ Cleats Better

(CLICK>) Shipping Info

As you can see that extra $100 is well spent..Think about it and give others a chance to chime in and give their opinion..:D

Happy shopping..:thumbsup:

>>>>>>>>>>>>:ihih:>>Jake

Attachments

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
First bike...LBS is best

springera1 said:

Gary Fisher Marlin
Ibex Alpine 550 or 650
Marin B-17
iron horse Mavrick disk
Haro v4

-Austin-
Since this will be your first "real" bike, I would highly advise you to purchase it from a reputable Local Bike Shop (LBS). Yes, you probably won't get as much "bang for your buck" as with the Ibex. But what you will get by going to a reputable dealer is a proper fiting bike and at least one (if not several) free follow-up tune ups. An ill fitting bike will be no fun to ride, regardless of the level of componentry.

Of the list you proposed, I would lean towards the Haro or Iron Horse as they both come with disc brakes which are nice. The Marin would be a good choice if you think your going to do some aggressive trail riding as its built up more stoutly (and also is heavier) than the others listed. I would also highly recommend you check out a Specialized dealer if there is one near you. The Hardrock Comp Disc is in your price range and is an excellent bike for the all around riding.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.