Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've recently checked out a used 2009 Cannondale Rize One. It would be my first full suspension bike, and I absolutely loved how this bike felt compared to my F600. However, one specific spot concerned me enough to turn the bike down until I further researched. One of the cables running on the frame below the seat obviously has been rubbing pretty bad, and appears to have exposed the layer of the carbon under neath the paint and clear coat. I read a lot on how to prevent this issue, but couldn't really find how bad this issue is when its to this extent. I was thinking of just layering it with 3M clear apoxy, or doing several coats of clear nail polish and applying helicopter tape or one of the other options I saw available, but figured some opinions would be more helpful than my assumption. So my question, how bad does this look, and is it worth worrying about any weakness it may have caused to that spot. Thank you!

Attachments

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Cosmetically, it does look bad. Structurally, not sure from this picture if the wear is 'to the carbon' or started to go 'through the carbon'. If the carbon itself isn't worn, it's probably safe and the wear can be used to deal a lower price. If there is a risk that some of the fibers are worn through, I'd stay away. It could still be fine and hold but, better safe than sorry. Of course, this can be repaired but at the price I'm guessing this bike would go for, the price of a typical carbon repair might not be worth it, might as well use that budget to get a bike that's in better shape to begin with IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input man. Id say it definitely got into the carbon. Based off of that, the guys knowledge on his own bike, and a few other spots that questioned me, really turned me away. I ended up picking up a very well taken care of Rize 4 instead and I love it. Again, thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts