Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thanks to all for the feedback on my earlier post on my fork/control issues. Based on that feedback I think I am just going to just buy a new fork that is shorter than the one I have now.

I was looking at the Manitou Black Elite 100mm/120mm. I have a Manitou Black Comp 80/100 on my old back it has treated me very well. I found a smokin' deal on this Elite (which is part of the reason I am considering it, money is a bit tight) http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18068&subcategory_ID=5231

Any opinions on this fork with a Turner Burner? The product reviews section had mostly good things to say about it.

On a related note, I am selling a 2004 Marzocchi MX Pro w/ETA 120mm for $200. Only be used for about 30 hours of riding. I am selling it b/c it feels to tall for the Burner and doesn't feel right for it. If interested let me know by reply to this post or sending me a private messsage. The fork is in like new shape since I have only had the bike for 5 weeks now.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
I had the 80/100 2003 black elite with TPC+ damping on my Burner and I ride the trails you ride (Colorado) - Had it for a year and wasn't very happy with it at all - long story short, it never used more than 3" of travel except on 3-4 foot to flat drops. Turns out the bushing were too tight, so I had it fixed and then I sold it. I have a 6" Sherman Slider with TPC+ on an Afterburner and I love it, but I just have my doubts about the Black. Seem like it could be a good fork for certain condition, but kind of sucks in Colorado. But then again mine was sort of broken.....

Replaced it with a 05' Fox Vanilla (you can get them for $409 with a free king HS = $309 for the fork). The Vanilla is a lot better and you can set the travel anywhere 80-130 (just not on the fly).

If you do go with the black, check out greenfishsports.com - they were selling them for $189. Make sure you get one with the TPC+ damping.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
PuraVida said:
I was looking at the Manitou Black Elite 100mm/120mm. I have a Manitou Black Comp 80/100 on my old back it has treated me very well. I found a smokin' deal on this Elite (which is part of the reason I am considering it, money is a bit tight) Any opinions on this fork with a Turner Burner? The product reviews section had mostly good things to say about it.
Hard to beat that price, but I found my Manitou Mars to be really flexy. I now have a Reba Team U-Turn on my Burner and am very pleased so far. Light at 3.6lbs, variable travel 85-115, really tunable. Universal Cycles cut me a deal ay $415. It's more than the Black, but it's also more.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the Reba for $288 at Alfred E Bike. it's not adjustable though. It's 100mm
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FK4873

the mechanic at Over the Edge in Fruita recommends it but the reviews on mtbr didn't seem that great. it seemed real finicky to dial it in. i am not one that really likes to spend a lot of time trying to constantly tweak things. i would rather ride. For $288 though it might be worth it.

I was also looking at an 04 Psylo http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FK4150
and a Manitou Black Super Air 2004 http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=607

I don't know what to get. Damn I just wish that my Marz would get along better with my Burner so I didn't have to deal, but such is life right.

Thanks again for your feedback. Let me know if you have any other fork suggestions.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
If it were me I'd go with the Reba SL at that price. The fork is actually adjustable between 85, 100 or 115 by using internal shims. It requires disassembling the fork though so you have to pick. It comes set at 100mm. I have the Reba SL on my Turner O2 and I run it at 100mm. Basically it's a set and forget type thing, and it performed beautifully at that height 95% of the time. I was very happy with it when it was on the Burner - seemed like a good fit. The set up is not difficult at all, just start at the suggested settings as printed on the fork leg, take a pump with you on your first few rides (a pump is included) and play with it by varying the pos. and neg. air in 5lb increments. Once you hit the sweet spot, take a note and ride.
I had a 2004 Psylo on the O2 last season. The fork worked well for me, but I wanted to shave some weight. It is very plush with the coil, but not as tuneable as the Reba and heavier and flexier. I do really like the ability to change the travel settings and used the Psylo U-Turn all the time (hence my decision to spring for the u-turn reba). Overall I think the basic Reba is a better value for you with more rigidity and tuning options. If adjustable travel is not high on your list of priorities then go Reba for sure. If travel adjust is important and some added weight doesn't bother you - consider the Psylo. I Can't vouch for the Manitou as I have no experience with it other than my wife's Trek Fuel that sports the Black Diva - she loves it. The mixed reviews on the Rebas were due to some problems with seals on the first production run. I understand those problems have been fixed. I have had no issues with mine, 300+ miles on the Team U-Turn and about 200 miles on the SL. Despite the aggravation, the Burner deserves the right size front end to get the best performance out of it.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
So is the consensus that the $200 '03 black is not a good option? I was thinking of grabbing one and have had good luck on cheap deals in the past but if its a bad design, maybe I should forget it.

Otherwise, I would just get another fox which I love to death...OR a zokes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was also looking at the Duke http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FK4130 after a conversation with tech support at Rock Shox. He was saying that the only reason to go for the Psylo over the Duke was to get that extra 3/4 inch travel out of the psylo. The Duke was selling for $215 versus the Psylo at $253. As you can tell money is an issue for me right now. The Reba is enticing but not sure it's worth the extra $$$. Especially since I wouldn't have the U-Turn on it. So I am leaning towards the Psylo to get that extra travel. Basically is it worth $54 to get another 3/4 inch of travel? Probably.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
PuraVida said:
I was also looking at the Duke http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FK4130 after a conversation with tech support at Rock Shox. He was saying that the only reason to go for the Psylo over the Duke was to get that extra 3/4 inch travel out of the psylo. The Duke was selling for $215 versus the Psylo at $253. As you can tell money is an issue for me right now. The Reba is enticing but not sure it's worth the extra $$$. Especially since I wouldn't have the U-Turn on it. So I am leaning towards the Psylo to get that extra travel. Basically is it worth $54 to get another 3/4 inch of travel? Probably.
The Duke's travel is 63-108mm. On the Burner you'll never use travel lower than 85mm (or I can't see why at least) however you will likely use the full 125mm all the time for big descents. If you err on the side of travel adjustment, err towards getting more travel not less for a bike like the Burner. The extra $38 (not $54) is money well spent. As I said, the Psylo was a pretty nice shock, and for that price you should love it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just bought the Psylo for $255. The extra travel made sense. And it's still lighter than the zocchi i have on now. Thanks again for all your help.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
So what is consensus on fork travel on a Burner? I am considering moving the Black 80/100 I am running now over to a Burner. I use it exclusively in 100 mode on my NRS - and get all of the travel - but I don't know what feels right on a Burner. The 100 seems about right for the trails I ride now (Southeast) and I'd guess it's a good match for the Burner's travel. Something closer to 120 seems like it would be on the long side though.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
lidarman said:
I'll let you know since I'm putting a 90-120 mm black on mine.
you'll love the ability to change the height, should look nice on that red frame.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.