Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at both the wahoo and an opie for an all around bike. I live in Florida and will be riding trails, around town and want some opinions from you guys on what I should go with.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Depends on your riding style....

an "all around bike" doesn't describe the way you intend to use it very well. The Opie is designed for some heavy duty action, Trail, dirt jumps, street/urban assault, etc. It's designed to take drops to flat, hard botched landings etc. and come away wanting more. It's a heavy duty (and heavy) frame designed to take a beating.

The Wahoo on the other hand is an entry level cross contry/trail bike. Not designed for a steady diet of jumps or drops. It's lighter, faster, climb better, and will handle more quickly than the Opie. It'll be fine for the occasional 2 to 3 foot drop and/or mild air now and then, but it won't handle em as a "normal" everyday part of the ride.

As I said, your riding style is the key here. If you keep your wheels on the ground 90% of the time and don't do anything big, then the Wahoo would be fine. But if you like air, drops, jumps, etc. Then the Opie would likely be the better choice.

Good Dirt

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
I've used my '07 Opie for both types of riding (street & trails).

I also have an '07 Tarpon I use.

The Tarpon will see all stree use from now on, but if you're going to go off-road even for a little bit of trail riding, I personally would get the Opie. It'll take a whole lot more punishment than the Wahoo (which IMO is a really nice bike).

In other words, with the Opie, you can definitely ride a trail and get buck wild on it.

With the Wahoo, you'll go on the trail and baby it. Not saying it's a bad bike at all, but if you take it off-road, it'll be best suited for just flat Cross Country riding.

I'm with Squash on this.

The Opie is the more "all-around" bike when compared to the Wahoo.

I like to jump and not worry about anything breaking.
My Opie gives me the ultimate confidence.
I have no worries on it.

My 2 cents.

PS
Plus, the Opie (or any Biggin's Series bike) just looks so hard core. I've ridden with guys who ride uber-bikes and they love my little Opie. It makes such a great impression and when you ride it, it "makes" you want to jump things.

I'm of the mind that it's better to have more bike than you need than to have need and not have enough "bike".

But ultimately, if you ride overwhelmingly street, get the Wahoo.
It's a good bike and it'll be much more comfortable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.