Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I got my Opie, I thought it would just be for a transitional bike, just for me to get my bearings again. But, I'm starting to fall for it.
Now, more and more, I'm thinking about keeping it and upgrading it so I'm starting this thread for Opie Owners who have built up Opies.

Note, I'm a former BMX Freestyler who's now into Urban Assault, minus all of the tricks...just aggressive riding, jumping, hopping.
I'm going to build it up for speed and for it's ability to take a hard jump onto concrete with max 5' drops.

Occasionally, I'll take it for some trail riding (swapping out the Hookworms for the stock Bontrager trail tires on a spare set of rims).

First upgrade
Tires...2.5 Hookworms

Next Upgrade Considerations:
Crank: Race Face or Shimano sub-$100. range with WTB BMX style pedals
Fork: 100mm Marchozzi Fork sub-$200. range

Looking for any suggestions and experiences out there with Opies.

If (big "if"), I decide to go further, next will be rims, handlebars/stem, seat, shifters, etc...
But I'd like to ask how good are the Bontrager Alloy front,/Shimano RM30 rear hub; Camino rims on it?
I read that while it's components are no good, that it's frame is a great frame.

I'm kind of liking the underdog status of the bike. I want to build it now out of spite! :D

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
The Camino rims came stock when I got my Fisher Tassajara. I killed the rear wheel within a year, and that was before I got into jumps and drops. I was sent a Maverick rim as a replacement, and busted that too. I finally upgraded to the Bontrager Rhythm Comps, and had no more difficulties. They stayed perfectly true for several months of hard riding.

I'd recommend those or one of the Earl wheels for any hardtail that will be ridden aggressively.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
miniwisejosh said:
The Camino rims came stock when I got my Fisher Tassajara. I killed the rear wheel within a year, and that was before I got into jumps and drops. I was sent a Maverick rim as a replacement, and busted that too. I finally upgraded to the Bontrager Rhythm Comps, and had no more difficulties. They stayed perfectly true for several months of hard riding.

I'd recommend those or one of the Earl wheels for any hardtail that will be ridden aggressively.
How are they weight wise?

:)

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
The Rhythms are listed as 1920g for the pair with a QR front hub, and are 28mm wide. King Earls are listed as 2276g and are 32mm wide and impresively stong. The Camino wheels are supposed to be in the vincinity of 2200g.

In other words, the King Earls are the same weight as your stock wheels and much stronger (good for FR). The Rhythms are a good bit lighter and still pretty strong (good for AM).

Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.