Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
I rode a 2.5 mile trail with my stock '07 Opie.
She felt like she wanted to get away from me a few times.
I chalk it up to my having to learn how to ride that trail with a hardtail.

I'm sure a good rider should be able to ride any trail with any bike.

In my opinion, you'd just have to work your bike to that particular trail and learn all of it's idiosyncrosies.

Take it as a challenge to use an entry level bike to conquer that trail.

:thumbsup:

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
I've got an '07 opie that's been heavily modified and works great as a trail bike, I did ride it stock for a while but the components are kind of low end (great starter bike though). But imho the '08 opie seems to have been modified a little for dirt jumps so it might not perform as well on the trail.

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
Here's a question for any Opie (or any of the other similar Biggns bikes) owners:

I'm toying with the idea of getting an Opie mostly for the frame and upgrading the components over the next several months as they break or as I tire of them. My eventual spec sheet would probably be something along the lines of RS Revelation U-Turn fork, BB7 disc brakes, Bontrager Rhythm tubeless wheels, and XT/X.9 drivetrain. Basically a light duty "all mountain" setup.

My rides are mostly commutes around town and moderately technical XC trails, but I rarely pass up the chance to get air off ladder drops, stairs under 3-4', tabletops, and any other similar bit of interesting terrain I happen to encounter duringa ride. I spend most of the time with my saddle up in an efficient pedaling position, but drop it down often enough to have some fun. I guess I'd classify myself as an aggressive XC rider.

I've been using Fisher Genesis hardtails for the past couple years (Tassajara and Big Sur frames with mid range components and 100mm forks). Both frames were nice, but I've been wanting something with a few more mm worth of travel up front to help out over rough sections of trail and a more relaxed riding position.

Here's what I'm specifically looking for: Good handling so I can rail turns in singletrack. The ability to climb challenging hills even over roots and rocks, but not necessarily at XC racing speed. A geomety that that lets me pedal for a few hours without trouble, but again not necessarily at racing speed. I'd also like to be able to do manuals and get air easily. Basically something I can have lots of fun with on the trail as long as I'm not trying to set speed records.

My question is how well will the Opie work for my purposes? Most reviews I've read including those on this page lead me to believe that I won't have any reason to hate the frame, but I'd like to know some more details. How does it handle, and how does it react to different fork travel (Biggns seem to come with both 100mm and 130mm forks)? How comfortable is it to ride for an extended period (say about 3 hrs)? Is it just slow up hills, or are there other problems with climbing? How does it react to bumps with those short chainstays?

Thanks...

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
I've got an '07 opie and I've been doing the exact same thing you want to do. I've got to say the bike rides great and I don't regret any upgrade I've done on the bike. One thing I've noticed though is that it looks like they've changed the geo up for the current model year so that its more of a dj bike (not sure though) so I would look at getting an older one used.

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
Wow. That was a quick response. Thanks:).

That's good to know (both that the frame should work for me and that there are differences between the model years). But in what way did they change the geo? The pictures look identical as far as I can tell, and the geo specs are identical according to Fisher's website. Tthis wouldn't be the first time their site was wrong though...

Anyways, what travel fork are you running, and how well does it work on your '07 Biggns frame?

2008: https://fisherbikes.com/img/bikes/2008/1600x1200/opie.jpg
2006: https://fisherbikes.com/img/bikes/2006/1600x1200/opie.jpg

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
miniwisejosh said:
Here's a question for any Opie (or any of the other similar Biggns bikes) owners:

I'm toying with the idea of getting an Opie mostly for the frame and upgrading the components over the next several months as they break or as I tire of them. My eventual spec sheet would probably be something along the lines of RS Revelation U-Turn fork, BB7 disc brakes, Bontrager Rhythm tubeless wheels, and XT/X.9 drivetrain. Basically a light duty "all mountain" setup.

My rides are mostly commutes around town and moderately technical XC trails, but I rarely pass up the chance to get air off ladder drops, stairs under 3-4', tabletops, and any other similar bit of interesting terrain I happen to encounter duringa ride. I spend most of the time with my saddle up in an efficient pedaling position, but drop it down often enough to have some fun. I guess I'd classify myself as an aggressive XC rider.

I've been using Fisher Genesis hardtails for the past couple years (Tassajara and Big Sur frames with mid range components and 100mm forks). Both frames were nice, but I've been wanting something with a few more mm worth of travel up front to help out over rough sections of trail and a more relaxed riding position.

Here's what I'm specifically looking for: Good handling so I can rail turns in singletrack. The ability to climb challenging hills even over roots and rocks, but not necessarily at XC racing speed. A geomety that that lets me pedal for a few hours without trouble, but again not necessarily at racing speed. I'd also like to be able to do manuals and get air easily. Basically something I can have lots of fun with on the trail as long as I'm not trying to set speed records.

My question is how well will the Opie work for my purposes? Most reviews I've read including those on this page lead me to believe that I won't have any reason to hate the frame, but I'd like to know some more details. How does it handle, and how does it react to different fork travel (Biggns seem to come with both 100mm and 130mm forks)? How comfortable is it to ride for an extended period (say about 3 hrs)? Is it just slow up hills, or are there other problems with climbing? How does it react to bumps with those short chainstays?

Thanks...
I ride my '07 Opie for hours and hours and hours with no problem.
I'm 5'9" @ 230 (solid) lbs. with a 32" inseam.
For pavement, I lose so much with the stock Bontrager Knobbies,
so I'm switching to Maxxi Hookworkms.

I'm building my OP as a high speed adult S.U.B. (Sport Utility Bicycle).

I can't comment on trail riding much, but I can say that for bombing down the street
and leaping anything that gets in your way, I (and this is my personal opinion as a
former Freestyle BMX'r) love this bike. I keep thinking about upgrading, but everytime
I ride my OP, I can't see any reason to get rid of it. More and more I'm being convinced
to just upgrade "it" (cranks, fork, seat, handlebar, maybe lighter wheels provided that
they are stronger, etc...).

For the street, she's lovely. I got my girlfriend an '07 Tarpon that rides as smooth as
a drop of oil on a piece of glass. But it doesn't feel like one can do anything with it.
It's just for cruising (and cruising quite comfortably),

But when I hop on my OP, it's like a Jeckyll & Hyde thing. Before I pedal, I start
scoping out my path to see how many jumps I can get in between me and my
destination! LOL !

For me personally, it's a blast. From what I've read from all my searches, the frame
is considered worthy to build up for those who don't look down their noses upon
it just because the whole bike costs less than their fork.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
spcarter said:
I've got an '07 opie and I've been doing the exact same thing you want to do. I've got to say the bike rides great and I don't regret any upgrade I've done on the bike. One thing I've noticed though is that it looks like they've changed the geo up for the current model year so that its more of a dj bike (not sure though) so I would look at getting an older one used.
Hey SP,

If you have any pics of your OP, I'd like to see them. I started a thread for OP owners. You could post them there. :)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=426056

I'm sure I can learn from other's who have OP's and who are building them up.

:D

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
lol. I'm exactly the same height as you. Just out of curiosity, what frame size do you have? I've been using 19" for the Genesis frames.

And it really does sound like you're having fun on your bike. Come to think of it, I haven't heard any Biggns owners complain about their frame yet.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
lol

Yeah, I'm 5'9", but I'm dropping to my normal weight (which hovers between 185 & 190lbs) within a couple of months. I just got injured in August of last year (torn calf muscle) which took me a few months to recover from and once I started being able to walk again, I ended up pulling a groin muscle from a slip on some ice that left the comlete inside of my thigh black & blue from my knee up to my torso. It was on the opposite leg which was carrying the weight from my whole body for 3 months. Now, I had to rely on my torn calf side for another 3 months. I've never been down that long. That's how I gained the weight.

Anyway, my frame size is only a 15.5"r (Small) which is fine by me.

Being a BMXr at heart, the low frame is cool because I can drop the seat to get funky when I want to and raise it for distance riding like I used to when I was a kid.

From every review I've read on it, The Frame is highly praised. I like the way the PhD frame looks, but I'm wondering how much it weighs. It looks like it weighs a ton. I'm going to have to give one a whirl some time. I like the uniqueness of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.