Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please...if your horse is not healthy (read: has the runs), leave it home. It will appreciate you more as will all other trail users.

At least, if you hear/feel some rumbling below the saddle, can you move off the trail a bit?

Oh, and BCT is great, even in 31-degree weather...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,523 Posts
Don't you know, horse enslavers are gods gift to this earth.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Ugh!!!!

Jayem said:
Trail 307 in Prescott is a Horse dropping obstacle course and then there are the rocks, but they don't stink, stick to tires or attract flies!!:thumbsup: :) People that are on the trails with their dogs not on a leash can cause some pretty horrific crashes as well. Love dogs, but most of their owners need to be dope slapped.:nono:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
CactusJoe said:
Please...if your horse is not healthy (read: has the runs), leave it home. It will appreciate you more as will all other trail users.

At least, if you hear/feel some rumbling below the saddle, can you move off the trail a bit?

Oh, and BCT is great, even in 31-degree weather...
You may be talking about the cow poo. There is a few sections the cattle have decided is better to walk on than their old cow trails and they leave slick spots:eek: They're great when the piles are dry, they're like mini table top jumps :D

Yup, BCT is good stuff! Can;t wait till we can ride from New River Rd. up to Black Canyon City!

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AKA Monkeybutt said:
You may be talking about the cow poo. There is a few sections the cattle have decided is better to walk on than their old cow trails and they leave slick spots:eek: They're great when the piles are dry, they're like mini table top jumps :D

Yup, BCT is good stuff! Can;t wait till we can ride from New River Rd. up to Black Canyon City!
Gotta love our hoofed friends.

Yeah, the connections will be great when they are done. I've done some solo exploring up off the table mesa loop, and I live off Carefree Highway and I-17, so presumably when it's all connected I'll have a nice epic I can hit from my driveway. I should be up there for the 2/10 trail building day, looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
som of you have heard me rant about this before. yet we have to worry about access. these things weigh hundreds of pounds have shovels attached to their hooves and crap everywhere. they should have to clean up after their crap factories if i have to yeild to them as my 200 pound bike/person ROLLS along. if i crapped that big i would clean it up if i went in the middle of the trail. nothing like a blind corner and a puddle and some horse crap in it to make a nice green slushy splatter across the face. memories like that one are great.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Jayem said:
When are the animal rights freaks going to get up at arms over the kicking and whipping of horses? Do what a rider does ot its horse, to a dog and you will spend life in jail.

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
Don't get me started...

But now that I am...

The previous poster about "god's gift..."... yeah. No matter how you look at it, equestrians are a valuable ally in the fight for open/public trail use. Likely because they are 100 times more vocal than most mtb'ers (or at least that's part of it). Despite the fact of published information citing horses do substantially more damage to trails than hikers, and even cyclists.

That said - the crap problem is indeed substantial - and I find it just plain rude. Sure, our country - especially Arizona - has a long history of raking horses akin to India's view on cows... but that's no excuse. I have, for a long time, wanted to print up plastic signs saying "pick up after your pet" to plant in piles. As a matter of fact, does anyone know the standard city statutes in this regard? I'm sure it's not exclusive to dogs. These trail mashers should be required to wear Depends, a hanging bucket (like some city police horses do - I've seen somewhere), or require the damn rider to carry a pooper scooper and a bag...

And while we're on the topic... down here in Tucson at least, at least two trail systems (if not more) are constantly being "cleaned" by equestrian riders - both 50-Year and Starr Pass. I'm not talking about the "cleaning" that rookie cyclists do so they can clear a rough section... I'm talking about smaller rocks right in the middle of a trail that most of use ride right over... they get pulled up and discarded, leaving gapiong holes, and adding to erosion problems.

I'm all for "shared use"... but as defined, others *do* share these trails... we shouldn't have to dodge horse crap.

Now... the cattel crap (usually of the sloppy, runny, type) is yet another story... only thing that will change that is changing the grazing laws... which will happen about the same time as horse poop is restricted on trails.

Grrrr...

Hank

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its the Beefareeno....

But seriously, where I live, it is legal to ride horses on sidewalks, so there is horseshit everywhere. I have given up complaining about it.

As destructive as people think bikes are to trails, horses are far worse.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
wuensch said:
Now... the cattle crap (usually of the sloppy, runny, type) is yet another story... only thing that will change that is changing the grazing laws... which will happen about the same time as horse poop is restricted on trails.

Grrrr...

Hank
Maybe it's the cattle's only way to say FU. Do they know they're going to end up lunch? :skep:

I can't speak of the other trail systems but the horse riders have been very helpful in making of the BCT and maintaining it. As long as they're on our side I'll bunny hop the poop or wheelie over it and smile. When they're not on our side, I'll throw the poop at them :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sorry, I think they are more vocal and active in the trail community....and they were here first. I'm not an equestrian, but I understand our place in the "yield chain".

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
filtersweep said:
Its the Beefareeno....

But seriously, where I live, it is legal to ride horses on sidewalks, so there is horseshit everywhere. I have given up complaining about it.

As destructive as people think bikes are to trails, horses are far worse.
Aww Rusty!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.