21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
I am a trek Fan, but sheesh Specialized went all out

E-Gravel

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/electric-bikes/specialized-turbo-creo-sl-review/

:eekster:
Wow, so accessible. Only $14kUSD for the s-works version, and the evo is only $9k.

The EVO is the same price as this: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fx/

The S-works can be optioned like this: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/

However neither of these will be able to piss off a group of Cat-1 roadies like jumping into their group and riding like a Cat-6 roadie on a bike that costs as much as their cars. I love that we live in an era with this type of thing is business model. Meanwhile I debate whether to spend money on a set of new tires for my gravel bike and where I can get the best deal.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Are people really so lazy they would rather spend this kind of money on a gravel moped, then just put in the effort to actually ride a bike.

·
Human Test Subject
1,426 Posts
TRIGGERED

Why didn't you warn us????? There's nothing worse in the whole wide world than other people doing things I don't like!

Seriously though, it looks like Specialized took every buzzword from a focus group and put them all into the same bike.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
I see this as an awesome solution for people who have legitimate medical conditions that keep them from enjoying a manual bike. I highly doubt that most of the customers who buy them will fit that category though. Whatever, enjoy cheating yourself out of the experience.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Cheating yourself out of what experience, the experience riding one or not riding one? I think everybody has experience not riding one.

They're different experiences and not mutually exclusive.

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
Cheating yourself out of what experience, the experience riding one or not riding one? I think everybody has experience not riding one.
I think he means the experience of paying over $10,000 for a bicycle. Everyone should be able to experience that regret, I mean, experience.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Kinda struggle with these bikes. I ride with my dad as much as i can. He's a life-long roadie in his 70s but on a heart medication that prevents him from pushing. So i like his companionship, but he can't ride a distance or pace that feels rewarding to me. A gravel ebike would let us have a more similar experience, ride longer, and stay off the roads. I rented one for him, and he easily blew me up riding 30' ahead of me (my ftp- 360w, his- 200w, fwiw), and then got in an argument with a ranger about how an ebike is a bicycle and how the rules don't apply to him, even though there were specific ebike rules posted.

I was planning on buying him one if he liked it, but i haven't.

So this thing... why do you need all those gucci weight weenie shock absorbing parts when you have a motor to push suspension and commuter tires along? This device only exists to pretend it's a bicycle. I think this style moped is a response to the current political/legal climate and can't be a sustainable market.

·
Cycologist
10,067 Posts
Kinda struggle with these bikes. I ride with my dad as much as i can. He's a life-long roadie in his 70s but on a heart medication that prevents him from pushing. So i like his companionship, but he can't ride a distance or pace that feels rewarding to me. A gravel ebike would let us have a more similar experience, ride longer, and stay off the roads. I rented one for him, and he easily blew me up riding 30' ahead of me (my ftp- 360w, his- 200w, fwiw), and then got in an argument with a ranger about how an ebike is a bicycle and how the rules don't apply to him, even though there were specific ebike rules posted.

I was planning on buying him one if he liked it, but i haven't.

So this thing... why do you need all those gucci weight weenie shock absorbing parts when you have a motor to push suspension and commuter tires along? This device only exists to pretend it's a bicycle. I think this style moped is a response to the current political/legal climate and can't be a sustainable market.
Geeze, sorry it didn't work out better with your dad. You'd think it would be the older guys who realize a motor no longer makes it a bicycle.

I don't have an issue with someone riding an ebike wherever motorbikes are allowed. I can understand someone like your dad riding one but for someone who could ride a bicycle, they seem pretty silly to me; more a virtual bicycle where you pretend you're powering yourself along solely on your own. The desire for "stealth" like that Spesh just reinforces that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This thread hurt many feelings LOL ,

OPEN AT YOUR OWN RISK --

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.