Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lock on Grips on Carbon bars-

My apologies first if this has been discussed, but i've not found any satisfying answer.

I just got a MAXM mx-5 riser bar and my LBS recommended the Odi rufian on it but he wasn't sure if the "Lock on Grips on Carbon bars" is a good idea; he is not saying its bad...
Any comments please?

Or if anybody can help me find a link discussing this issue.
i'm just a little tired if i have to peel of the grips everytime if i want to do some cleaning or tune up.

thx

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
I have used that combo for over 2 years no problems... just don't overtighten... tighten only enough for the grips not to move (you will see that very little force is required to do so).

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
^^^Me Too^^^

crisillo said:
I have used that combo for over 2 years no problems... just don't overtighten... tighten only enough for the grips not to move (you will see that very little force is required to do so).
Yep. I have two bikes (Retrotec SS and 5-Spot) with CF bars and ODI lock ons. I've been riding both bikes with this combination for several years.

Ken

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm also using ODI lockon's with a carbon fiber bar. I have RaceFace Next riser carbon bars on my bike and they took a normal amount of tightening to secure the grips from rotating. Just don't overtighten.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Maybe scuff the clear coat of the bar to help the grips grab. I had a few problems with needing to tighten mine more than I felt comfortable. I roughed up the clear coat and the inside of the grip and it was much better.

JMH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.