Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A set of three new Onza Porcupines in white just went for $242.50 on eBay. They originally retailed for $16.99 (BikePro). That's a 475% increase in value (or is it a "375% increase"...forgetting my math skills/phrasing at moment?).

Are there other VRC parts with appreciation that high?

Syncros Crank O Matics?
How much did the Bradbury Manitou that Laffeaux purchased retail for originally?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
It's a good point.

I think anything else in a similar category could only hope to keep it's value the same as when it sold new. I think part of the reason they sell for so much is that they didn't hold up for sh!t....making new ones harder to come by. Glad I bought a brand new one for $1 at a bike swap. :D

If there was ever a tire to reproduce in a 2.1 kevlar bead with a little longer tread life and at the same price point....it'd be that tire. It'd kill the value of the originals, but I'd run them on everything! :)

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,439 Posts
Porcs

That's a lot of coin for heavy, old tyres that are prolly perished, and will wear out after 6 good rides. Jeebers, someone needs to tool up and make them again - but bigger - I always thought they were more like a 1.9.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Not Really

I think those...the ones I was paying attention to anyway...only went for a few % over original retail.
A Uni Klein or especially a Strata cost more than the suspension forks people were replacing them with.

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
that onza porc price was for 3 tyres. 2 NOS white onza porcs made £122 in the UK a few months back... when I think back to how many of those tyres I got thru..

wtb/ king headsets & wtb brakes have also made noticeable increases. last wtb/ king headset I saw sell made £242UK, what was the previous new RRP on those?

as a FAT fan, yo eddy rigid forks that used to retail for £350 have made over $600 very recently.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The white ones are 1.95.

What's really ridiculous is that I bought a brand new set of porc 2s (recently manufactured) from the UK for $60 including shipping. While not quite as sticky they are really a better tire overall as they are wider and last a lot longer.

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
Wow

holden said:
A set of three new Onza Porcupines in white just went for $242.50 on eBay. They originally retailed for $16.99 (BikePro). That's a 475% increase in value (or is it a "375% increase"...forgetting my math skills/phrasing at moment?).

Are there other VRC parts with appreciation that high?

Syncros Crank O Matics?
How much did the Bradbury Manitou that Laffeaux purchased retail for originally?
These prices are tempting. Here are my NOS never touched a rim White Porcs.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
hahaha, onza white porcs the de beers / fort knox of the retro tyre world :)

we'll have to set up a sticky thread on here, kinda timetable of whos selling when so as not to flood the market... hahahhaha .. ah dear ;)

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Local Pork

I was in a local shop the other day, and there was a used black pork in the 1/2 off bin. If anybody's interested, I will probably have some spare time to swing back over there. Would be happy to help somebody out if they're looking for one. Drop me a PM or email if you're interested, and I'll go find out if it's still there.. Didn't seem to have much wear..

Plum

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Plum said:
I was in a local shop the other day, and there was a used black pork in the 1/2 off bin. If anybody's interested, I will probably have some spare time to swing back over there. Would be happy to help somebody out if they're looking for one. Drop me a PM or email if you're interested, and I'll go find out if it's still there.. Didn't seem to have much wear..

Plum
PM sent.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Sideknob said:
That's a lot of coin for heavy, old tyres that are prolly perished, and will wear out after 6 good rides. Jeebers, someone needs to tool up and make them again - but bigger - I always thought they were more like a 1.9.
Onza said:
Also, fans of the original Onza Porcupine tyre may be surprised to learn that they are still around in the form of the Porcupine II, a kevlar beaded folding tyre with the same unique tread. Available from all Onza dealers.
https://www.onza.com/site_files_flash/spares_oldskoolonza_flash.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.