Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Onyx rear hub service

29K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  happyriding 
Tore down second hub and that one has all Verinent brand hybrid bearings, non-drive side bearing in the second one is the one causing the rough feeling not horrible but noticeable, now the choice of replacing or run it more. Outer axle etc are in good shape on 2nd hub.

The first hub probably has 1000 miles or so on it, second a couple of hundred maybe. I'm a clyde(north of 225# suited up) so maybe factory bearings not durable enough.
In my two sets of Classics, I've also had the non-drive side bearing out of my older set get that not-so-fresh feeling. Replaced it with a spare I had laying around, but I have since purchased a SKF MTRX that I plan to swap in there one of these days. That seems to be the most vulnerable bearing. I've also done the MFU retrofit to run MicroSpline on that hub, it eliminates the axle and cap threads on the drive side.

Bumping this thread as I would like to convert a classic hub to micro spline.

As I understand it, there is no need to regrease the sprag clutch? Bearings appear to still be in good condition.
When I did the conversion, I just put a light bit of fresh grease on the new driver, everything came apart looking good so I didn't touch the sprags. It's been a while but as I recall the only tricky part was setting the preload, I think it needed to be done under full installed axle clamping load.

What kind of grease did you use on the driver?
I should have specified, I used the Kluber Isoflex LDS 18 Special A grease as required by Onyx. I believe they include some with the kit, but I bought a tube of it years ago when I got my first pair of Onyx hubs. It's pricy but that tube will probably last me forever. The sprags need a pure grease with no added friction modifiers to function correctly.

How often do the center bearing need to be serviced?
Pretty rare to never. It's the most well protected and lightest loaded bearing in the hub. I've had a couple of sets for years and I have never had to touch the center bearings. But I would definitely figure out how to replace it myself before sending it away if I ever have one go bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.