Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Onyx rear hub service

29K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  happyriding 
When I emailed Onyx to find out:

Hi Tim,

That hub has the following bearings

6804 – center bearing, replaceable here at Onyx only.

On the non-drive side there are two different variations. The 6804 version has be serviced here – that’s the red hub in the attached picture. The 6902 version is field replaceable – that’s the Antifreeze Green hub in the attached picture.

Thank you,

Dan Peterson

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Just curious if anyone has done any maintenance to their hubs. I'm going on 2-years and they still are still silent with no play (I haven't touched the bearing pre-load).
Yes. I had to replace the drive side bearing. Pretty simple, but it was years before I had to do so (4, I think). Because of this, the axle shaft was slightly corroded, making it a bit tough to get the bearing off. You can only service the outer bearings. You'll need to send in your hub to replace the internal one or the sprag clutch.

Does anyone know what size bearing is used in the Onyx Boost rear hub? I just received some of the magic grease, and I've got a blind hole bearing puller with a slide hammer, and a bearing press with various sized drifts, but I wanted to check if I have a the correct drift for the bearing in my hub before I get started.

And, if anyone else is considering servicing their hub, according to this

Full text:
Did you ever find out the size? I need to replace my hub bearings and would like to order before I pull the old ones out.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.