Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Okay I've been searching these forums for a while now and can't find it... Anyone here know some good trails (beginner/intermediate) on the Bruce Peninsula closer towards Lions Head? Me and three buddies are taking a trip from Michigan to that area and spending about 3-4 days and I want to bring my bike. I've never biked the area or been to that area even. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hoping not to take a long drive to get to trails.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Okay I've been searching these forums for a while now and can't find it... Anyone here know some good trails (beginner/intermediate) on the Bruce Peninsula closer towards Lions Head? Me and three buddies are taking a trip from Michigan to that area and spending about 3-4 days and I want to bring my bike. I've never biked the area or been to that area even. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hoping not to take a long drive to get to trails.
Trails - Mountain Bike the Bruce

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Wow... How did I not find that? Thanks CptSydor. Anyone have personal experience on these?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I've ridden the MTB Adventure park, which doesn't have the adventure anymore, but the trails are still pretty rocky and technical (from what I recall). I rode with a beginner and they got through, but it wasn't ideal. I've also ridden the Brant tract, much faster, flowier type trails. I really enjoyed it there (not that I didn't enjoy the MTB park) and was much better for the beginner. Unfortunately I haven't ridden the others.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Awesome. Well that's all I need to convince me to pack the bike. Even more excited for this trip now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Backroad GPS Maps

I was just gifted the Ontario edition of Backroad GPS Maps. I have had their book for sometime, but found it to be next to useless for what I mostly use it for which is scoping out lakeside boon-docking sites. The maps are so small that only very general info and impressions can be gleaned from them. The GPS version on the other hand has an impressive level of info and detail that you can zoom in to!!! Also, their computer maps along with Garmin MapSource or Basecamp let you look at an area in great detail on a big screen. I was quite surprised this morning to find the Buckwallow Trails to be mapped in considerable detail! I haven't looked yet if other trail locations are too..ie Copeland, Hardwood, Albion etc

Ontario [978-1-897225-96-7] - $150.00 : Backroad Mapbooks, Recreation maps, GPS maps, Topo maps, Fishing maps, Digital maps for BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Canada

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi there thank you for your great thread on ON trail maps. I cannot open the Waterdown map in any Browser, could you post it up on here or send me a hyperlink to the maps? Many thanks, H

=Nerdgirl;9681698]Hamilton area trails
(thanks to lukey for the post)

There were a few recent threads asking for Waterdown, Red Hill Valley and Dundas trail maps. I did a small project which might help a little. So far, the map has about 300-350km of off-street routes, aka trails. It's still not complete, but I don't think there are any major errors. The area mapped covers Nemo, Waterdown, Kerncliffe, Borer's, Dundas Conservation Area, Beckett Woods, Iroquois Heights, King's Forest/Valley Park, Red Hill, Felker's/East Mountain and various other snippets of trail, along with some bike path and rail trail that form important connectors.

One simple glance at how fragmented the trail system is and you will have some insight into the area's riding. There's quite a lot, but it's really disconnected. Maps help!

There are three parts to this map:

Part one is a GPX file for the whole trail network. On a windows computer, I would highly recommend TopoFusion software if you want to isolate chunks, manipulate data, print stuff or view the entire thing.
Part two is a KML file that is the right format so you can load the whole map into Google Earth. This is perfect if you want to visualize the climbing in 3D or print off a section. Sample here.
Part three is a custom basemap that works on Garmin units, and maybe some other GPS's. It's an IMG file that you can send right into your GPS unit. For the latest generation of Garmins, just copy the IMG file over to your unit's memory as-is. The map set contains only the trails which will automatically transparently overlay your unit's existing basemap...here's how that looks in use:

(Red lines are the trails.)

Download the maps here.

Shoot me any specific feedback. I already know this map is currently missing the Hamilton -> Caledonia RailTrail, Christie Area and some small bits 'n pieces in western edge of Dundas and around King Road in Waterdown. I think most main trails should be shown.

On a side note, I think I have about 4000km of unique trails in other Ontario riding districts in my archives...should I map other areas? Any particular requests?

A point of inspiration is that the Hamilton Trail system blends seamlessly all the way into other systems. You can ride off-road to Guelph (140km), to St.Catharines (90km), to Milton (70km) and beyond. The borders on this map are pretty arbitrary...I didn't dig deep into my files or think too hard about where to cut things off...I just did it an automatic way which got things moving pretty quickly. The limits are not accurately given by this map.

A current major weakness of this map is that the trails are not classified, and no directions are shown. There's everything from stone-chip rail trail to hike-a-bike single track and basically everything in between. I encourage you to think about this as a potential strength...please go explore, ride that bike and blame me later.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Reminder on Woodstock Trails. You need to be a member of the club to ride the trail. $30 for outside Oxford County riders. Great deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lindsay Tract just north of Ferndale/Lions Head on Hwy 6 is a gem of a place. Rocky and technical but with beautiful natural rock shelves and some truly impressive trail building with rock bridges made of cut and shaped slabs of rock.

It's super techy in placea but there's still flow to be found too with plenty reward for going aggro on the tech stuff. The trails are well laid out and signed with a good mix for all ability levels.

I'm up that way a couple of times a year and I always make sure to drop in. I always leave with my arms gassed out too!

The MTB The Bruce website already posted here has more information but I can attest to Lindsay Tract being well with checking out.

·
likes to rides bikes
188 Posts
Re-host trail maps?

Can someone re-host that map of 3Stage that I had? And the detailed map of Puslinch trails? The old image host went from free to @$%#-you in the last year or two, needless to say the links on the first page are dead.

But I still have the original files! Please shoot me a Message if you can help :thumbsup:

·
2,015 Posts
Can someone re-host that map of 3Stage that I had? And the detailed map of Puslinch trails? The old image host went from free to @$%#-you in the last year or two, needless to say the links on the first page are dead.

But I still have the original files! Please shoot me a Message if you can help :thumbsup:
Map images re-hosted and original post fixed!

·
trail gnome
689 Posts
Reactions: cyclelicious

·
upclever
28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The park was closed in March 2020 due to covid 19. Have to wait and see...
Gatineau Park is now open for the season, however some parking lots are still closed.
P7 near Kingsmere is the one we parked at a few days ago.Black bears are also out, adding to the excitement...but they are vegetarians!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts