Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a centralised thread to compile riding info about Ontario trails. A number of threads come up about great riding destinations, but then that interesting and useful information disappears into the archives. Please feel free to add info or thread links about the many spots I'm sure I'll miss.

I'll try to edit in links here and add the info for each spot as a reply. This is a work in progress...

Turkey Point mtbr thread; Turkey Point Club website

Hamilton Trails mtbr thread; Hamilton Cycling Club website

Quinte area trails

Guelph Lake Trail map; (GORBA)

Hydrocut Trails; Waterloo Cycling Club

Albion Hills map

Porcupine Ridge trail map

Puslinch map (google map the coordinates: 43.427757,-80.259247 )
Another Puslinch map (thanks WCC)

Buckwallow map

Ganaraska IMBA Epic map

South March Highlands map; OMBA site

Hardwood Hills Trail map

3-Stage map (thanks VRix)

Sudbury trails (from the Walden Mountain Bike Club)

Northumberland trails

Port Hope

Limerick Forest near Brockville and here

For awesome indoor cycling in Markham: Joyride 150!

Shorthills has a FANTASTIC list of pdfs and (mostly) GPS tracks that they've kindly agreed to share here. They cover the Niagara area, some NY trails and our more well know Southern Ontario trails.

I seem to recall BCD had a thread where he discussed a lot of the riding in the Gravenhurst area, but I'm too lazy to find the link - BCD? Please also chip in with links to other trail systems. This is just a start.

Also a quick link to a discussion (often off topic) of The best trails in Ontario

The mtbr trail review section for Ontario is quite useful and usually has directions to the trailheads, but not usually actual trail maps.

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turkey Point Trails
(originally posted by RatchAttack)

Where is the trailhead?

The best place to start out from the the dead end of Mole Side Road. Easiest way to get there for first timers is to follow Turkey Point Road south past the park entrance, turn left onto Front Road (at the top of the hill before going down into the village), then another left onto Mole Side Road. Follow to the dead end and park in the turn around. Leave lots of room for other vehicles as it can be busy at times.

What are the trails like?

The trails are mostly fast flowing singletrack through rolling terrain with a few short steep climbs, not much of a technical challenge but the flow of the trails is quite amazing. There are two main sections of trail, the East side and the West side. The East side is sandy base soils and drains and dries very well, the West side has more clay based soils and takes a bit more to dry out.

How many trails are there?

The main loops are Turkey Point are made up of lots of smaller trails from 0.5km to 5km in length. Total singletrack is somewhere in the 40km area. Most of the trails are signed, the rest coming soon.

Is there a map available?

The Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club is in the process of making a map of all the trails. I've heard it should be available soon.

Is there a fee to ride the trails?

The trails at Turkey Point are free to ride, they are maintained by the great folks of the TPMBC.

When does Turkey Point open for the riding season?

The sandy trails at TP are spectacular are drying fast, usually as soon as the snow melts the trails are good to go, much sooner than any other trail in Ontario. The trails are also great for winter riding as the area does not see a large amount of snowfall (usually).

I've heard that there might be Poison Ivy and Ticks out there

Before heading out to TP you should familiarize yourself with Ticks and the risk of Lyme Disease as there are lots of ticks out there. More information here: Lyme Disease

There is also lots of poison ivy out there, try to stay on the trails to keep away from it. Remember: leaves of three let if be.

Where can I learn more about Turkey Point?

Visit the Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club's website at Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club. The club hosts a members ride on weeknights once a week, and usually a weekend ride each month / week depending on the time of year. Becoming a member is a great way to meet others who ride the trails and get a good tour of the area from locals like myself.

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hamilton area trails
(thanks to lukey for the post)

There were a few recent threads asking for Waterdown, Red Hill Valley and Dundas trail maps. I did a small project which might help a little. So far, the map has about 300-350km of off-street routes, aka trails. It's still not complete, but I don't think there are any major errors. The area mapped covers Nemo, Waterdown, Kerncliffe, Borer's, Dundas Conservation Area, Beckett Woods, Iroquois Heights, King's Forest/Valley Park, Red Hill, Felker's/East Mountain and various other snippets of trail, along with some bike path and rail trail that form important connectors.

One simple glance at how fragmented the trail system is and you will have some insight into the area's riding. There's quite a lot, but it's really disconnected. Maps help!

There are three parts to this map:

Part one is a GPX file for the whole trail network. On a windows computer, I would highly recommend TopoFusion software if you want to isolate chunks, manipulate data, print stuff or view the entire thing.
Part two is a KML file that is the right format so you can load the whole map into Google Earth. This is perfect if you want to visualize the climbing in 3D or print off a section. Sample here.
Part three is a custom basemap that works on Garmin units, and maybe some other GPS's. It's an IMG file that you can send right into your GPS unit. For the latest generation of Garmins, just copy the IMG file over to your unit's memory as-is. The map set contains only the trails which will automatically transparently overlay your unit's existing basemap...here's how that looks in use:

(Red lines are the trails.)

Download the maps here.

Shoot me any specific feedback. I already know this map is currently missing the Hamilton -> Caledonia RailTrail, Christie Area and some small bits 'n pieces in western edge of Dundas and around King Road in Waterdown. I think most main trails should be shown.

On a side note, I think I have about 4000km of unique trails in other Ontario riding districts in my archives...should I map other areas? Any particular requests?

A point of inspiration is that the Hamilton Trail system blends seamlessly all the way into other systems. You can ride off-road to Guelph (140km), to St.Catharines (90km), to Milton (70km) and beyond. The borders on this map are pretty arbitrary...I didn't dig deep into my files or think too hard about where to cut things off...I just did it an automatic way which got things moving pretty quickly. The limits are not accurately given by this map.

A current major weakness of this map is that the trails are not classified, and no directions are shown. There's everything from stone-chip rail trail to hike-a-bike single track and basically everything in between. I encourage you to think about this as a potential strength...please go explore, ride that bike and blame me later.

·
trail gnome
689 Posts
South March Highlands

Great thread idea! :thumbsup:

Where is the South March Highlands trailhead?
At the intersection of Klondike and Second Line Roads in Kanata (Ottawa). Google Maps link:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=klondike+and+second+line,+ottawa,+ontario&hl=en&sll=45.346276,-75.946319&sspn=0.011974,0.027788&hnear=Second+Line+Rd+%26+Klondike+Rd,+Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario&t=m&z=16

What are the trails like?
Very technical, rocky, and rooty. The area is predominately Canadian Shield and beaver wetland. As a result, trails are routed over exposed bedrock whenever possible, and multiple narrow ladder bridges and rock armouring are used to span the wetter sections. There is very little elevation change over the entire trail network, but the few short climbs that exist are punchy and very technical. Aside from bridges and a few skinnies, there are no wooden features, but there are plenty of natural rock rolls, lifts, and drops to challenge riders. The trails have been described as "Mini North Shore without the hills".

What bike setup do you recommend for these trails?
A 5" or greater full suspension trail or a light all-mountain bike with good bottom bracket clearance. 2.1" or greater width tires with sturdy sidewalls run at lower pressure for maximum grip. Many local riders prefer 2.35 Kenda Nevegals.

Having said all that, some talented riders occasionally ride the trails on fully-rigid singlespeeds, so if you have the skills, bring what you have.

How many trails are there?
15 I think: Bear Tree, Fast Out, Porcupine, Klondike, North Dogsled, South Dogsled, M-Line, Rockhopper, PWT, Outback, Ridgetop, Garter Belt, Cannonball Run, Bailout, and IMBA. Taken together, they comprise in the neighbourhood of 15-20km of trails. That doesn't sound like much, but given the technical nature of the trails, doing all of them in one go could easily take 3 hours or more to complete.

Is there a map available?

Yes, here: http://ottawamba.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/20120605_SMH_MTB_Trails.pdf

Is there a fee to ride the trails?
No, but if you ride them often, we ask that you support the Ottawa Mountain Bike Association (OMBA) by becoming a member. The fee is only $25 and you can join online here: Ottawa Mountain Bike Association | Join

When does South March Highlands open for the riding season?
During the spring thaw, OMBA asks that riders refrain from using the trails until they dry out. An official announcement is made on the OMBA website. Aside from that, people generally ride year-round, weather permitting.

Where can I learn more about South March Highlands?
The OMBA website is the best source. If you want to get to know the trails, OMBA hosts weekly Thursday night group rides starting at 7pm from spring until mid-October. They are free and open to anyone (non-members must sign a waiver).

Reactions: Nerdgirl

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although it isn't up to date (a LOT has been built since this map!), here's the Christie Lakes Trail map:

·
likes to rides bikes
188 Posts

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Northumberland Forest, free to ride.

Take exit 427 of 401. Go north on highway 45 roughly 15k. You will know your close when you see the powerlines crossing the highway. Left onto Beagle Club Road.

Trails are easy with some sandy spots. Be aware that the area has similar soil to Ganaraska and has Poison Ivy.

https://hedney.com/freewheelers/Maps/N_F_Ski_Trails.PDF

Also found this for Port Hope. No clue as to how tech it is. But it will be a future recce ride one day.

https://hedney.com/freewheelers/Maps/Port_Hope_Trails.jpg

Limerick Forest near Brockville.

Maps - Limerick Forest

https://www.limerickforest.ca/en/maps/resources/AREA1.pdf

Limerick Forest Ontario Trail Reviews

Directions,

From Kingston (about 1:15)

• 401 to Prescott (10 minutes past Brockville)
• Make left onto Edward St. also called County Rd #18
• Drive North on #18 for 15 minutes until Roebuck.
• Proceed straight through onto gravel road (Forsythe Rd.) (Limerick Forest sign)
• 5kms to gravel pit. Park

Make sure to stop in Brockville for any food or drinks as there is nothing there.

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
Hey Ms. Monster,

We have set our Maps and Routes Forum so Forum Guests can download the attached files (thanks Lt. Dan!).

SHORTHILLS CYCLING CLUB - Maps and Routes Forum

We have also added to the list quite a bit including GPS route and .pdf map of THE HOOD with trail names and difficulty level.

Tim

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Ms. Monster,

We have set our Maps and Routes Forum so Forum Guests can download the attached files (thanks Lt. Dan!).

SHORTHILLS CYCLING CLUB - Maps and Routes Forum

We have also added to the list quite a bit including GPS route and .pdf map of THE HOOD with trail names and difficulty level.

Tim
This is fantastic - you guys have put together an amazing resource. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks also to the other contributors.

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Sweet!

Excellent idea for a sticky! The Buckwallow map is several years out of date, day pass is $10 and there is now at least 21 single track trails instead of 18. Just keeps on getting better :)
Also next ride at The Torrance Barrens I will see if there are still trail maps in their mailbox. If so I will grab one, mark out best trail combo/flow and post it up. Makes for a much better ride there if you know the " lay of the land".

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
great thread :thumbsup:
i'll see if we can get maps on dufferin forest and mono cliffs

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
The K&P rail trail. Maps are a bit lacking it seems.

http://post.queensu.ca/~ab25/kandptrail/K&P_Trail-Parking.pdf

They extended it up into Harrowsmith this year. And it connects with the Cataraqui trail. Which runs from Napanee to Smiths Falls. I myself haven't been on the Cat from Harrowsmith to Napanee so don't know if it's full rail trail or not. Be for warned about any inviting looking side trails or tracks. Most are rough and full of Limestone rock which is hard on CX bike tires.

Cataraqui Trail

Cataraqui Trail

·
Outdoors Guy
1 Posts
Kerncliff, Ian, King, Havendale & BRUCE

I don't know if anyone's posted about the Bruce Trail but it does go through Burlington. There's also Kerncliff Park that is near:
- Ian Reid Side Trail
- King Side Trail
- Havendale Boulevard Side Trail

Sorry, I would post an image or link but I can't due to the fact that I don't have 10 or more posts

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks 14Stone!
So I just found out I can't edit posts older than 30 days (thanks for letting me know, Circlip!), so the original post may not stay completely up to date, but the thread should...

Thanks to the North Bay thread being bumped, I'll add this (though sadly some of the links are broken):
I've attached the trail map I was given for the trails on North Shore road. It is a couple years old but still accurate, I believe. Most of the newer trails are maintained by Dave Bull. His website is: Webnames.ca Canadian Domain Name Registration and Domain Management Services

The preferred way to access these trails is from the Pipeline access road, 2km past the Nordic ski club, on the left. For driving directions to the ski club see their website at: NORTH BAY NORDIC SKI CLUB - Programs and Services

These trails are all on the side of an escarpment and the map reflects that (trails at the top of the map are at the top of the hill). All of the trails at the top and right of the map are pretty well maintained and in good shape. The others were pretty overgrown and hard to find, last time I checked. I used to ride some of these trails 10 years ago, but when I tried to find them a couple of years ago they were in pretty rough shape. Too bad because there is a beautiful lookout up there.

There are other more advanced trails (bridges, big drops, etc) such as Stupid and Nemesis as indicated on the map. But I've never ventured over that far to find them. There was even an article written about them on NSMB: NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking

My preferred route as recommended by Dave, is to climb up the access road, then take the 1st access into Jaret's Jungle, then Trapper Trail which will take you across the pipeline. Once above the pipeline, I hit Bridge Over the River...Why?, Bull's Loop, Higher Ground, Pearl's Garden, Dann-Don Valley Parkway, then back down to Scott's Hill which leads you back onto Trapper's Trail (even more fun going down). Then I cut into Dave Murray's Downhill and LaFlume. The last 2 sections are especially fun, fast, rough, and end with a nice log ride. For some beautiful scenery, take a jaunt down Waterfall run.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just added Scout valley which is right next to orillia. It's also close to the 8th line, hardwood hills, horseshoe valley and copeland forest.

Scout valley is a pretty good ride. Trails are pretty well marked. I live about 2 km from it so I'm there fairly often.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts