Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the trails were wet and the snow was rapidly melting, I left the bike home and went to the remote north side of Lassen Peak to ski. The video is of a rather old guy telemarking down the Devastated Area to the just plowed out parking lot.

The weather was perfect - blue skies, warm enough to soften the corn snow but cold enough to be fast. There are lots of trees visible that are generally under 15' - 20' of snow in mid March.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,241 Posts
fail

nothing beats mountain biking...BUT if your heel is free on the ski, you get a pass...

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,241 Posts
^ telemarking is the 'only other thing' acceptable to build sweat if it ain't an MTB

·
On wuss patrol
5,074 Posts
Why is the area Devastated? Looks fine to me.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,305 Posts
Isn't it when you call people all day long on the telephone and try to sell them stuff they don't want or need?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,241 Posts
Isn't it when you call people all day long on the telephone and try to sell them stuff they don't want or need?
you call them on the phone and yell "Free Your Heel, Ski For Real!!" then hang up.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I love skiing and think that mountain biking and skiing have a lot in common. But there are these minor differences:
+ Mountain biking doesn't start at $1000 a weekend but is mostly free
+ Can mountain bike the entire year where I live
+ No waiting in lift lines
+ No crowds
+ It's actual exercise
+ See real nature rather than bulldozed slopes
+ Rare to experience white outs
+ Little risk of frost bit
+ You can mountain bike for 3 hours without repeating sections
+ No $12 hot dogs and $10 beers
+ Knees are aided by air/hydraulic hi-tech shocks
+ Ski edges are replaced by hydraulic brakes
- Crash on ground not snow
- No $10 beers

I really do love skiing and realize if one lives by a slope then many of these differences go away but not for most of us.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Lassen is so beautiful. Ten years ago my wife and I backpacked Lassen 4th of July. I was surprised how man glaciers and how much snow was on the ground. The foliage hadn't started budding out yet. We had so many deer come into our camps looking for food. By the looks of them. It had been a long winter. One of my favorite backpacking trips ever.

BTW......bacon cook on an open campfire is up there with "best things ever"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts