Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Destroyer of Worlds
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So interestingly, there isn't a single video or set of instructions on how to actually use the EDC pump with a CO2 cartridge. At least not that I've been able to find so far.

The OneUp site shows the green head insert available separately as a co2 inflator, which seems sensible, except that it's quite impossible to unscrew the green insert from my pump. I'm reluctant to get a set of pliers and just giv'er, since I'm as likely to break it as anything.

The entire head also unscrews, and much more easily, but there's nothing that looks like you could screw the cartridge into it.

My current guess (and it is a guess, since there's no video or instructions) is that the green insert comes out somehow. Any help?

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,611 Posts
It unscrew from the pump head. Standard right hand thread. Once out, you can screw a threaded cannister onto the back side, it'll pierce the co2 and fill.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does unscrew, but only with the help of an 8mm hex key. That thing wasn't coming off using finger pressure.

Fun fact: there's no 8mm hex key in the EDC toolkit.

This just feels like a project that never quite got finished.

·
NJ Gator
133 Posts
Completely unrelated to the CO2 question but I was informed via mtbr that a dart metal cylinder with a preloaded dart can be used in the tool. You can swap out the tuning fork/bacon strip for the dart one. I just prefer darts over bacon strips.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When using the head with a co2 cartridge is there a trigger to release the air? How does that work?
You crank the cartridge all the way in to pierce the tip, then back off the threading a little to let gas through. Re-crank to stop.

I guess cartridges are essentially single-use, though, unless you have somewhere to store the cartridge with the dispenser attached.

·
Magically Delicious
14,188 Posts
For me personally, Co2 isn't worth the hassle or weight. For many years I carried Co2, pump, patch & bacon strip kit. I found it was nearly as quick to use the pump (One Up EDC). WTF to do with the empty cartridge, but carry it and (hopefully) properly dispose of.

I don't carry Co2 anymore

I understand Co2 for racing, but for me, it's a hassle and an unnecessarily expensive item to replace them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.