Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be grateful to anyone who's ridden both enough to offer some opinions on how they compare. I'm considering upgrading my XL Rig-my primary gripes are weight and slow handling.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
According to Madre... the Niner is lighter, more comfy and more fun. Hope that helps. =)

According to my good buddy who spent 2 years on a Rig and just swapped to a One 9....swapping over all the same parts.

the One 9 is a Porsche (handling wise) while the Rig is more of a lowered truck...(it handles better than a non-lowered truck...but it's still a truck)

the One 9 is more resilient in the saddle.

the One 9 feels like a race car.

YMMV

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Padre said:
while the Rig is more of a lowered truck...(it handles better than a non-lowered truck...but it's still a truck)

YMMV
A Pig would be more accurate, A big, friendly pig. A kindly pig.

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Maybe that 29'er epiphany I've been waiting patiently for is just a frame change away.......

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Get a longer offset fork for the Rig. The Rig frame is fine, and not a pig at all. Maybe the color of an angry pig, but the weight is not worth upgrading to another frame for. Frame weight is overrated anyway. This is coming from a weightweenie that will never fully recover.
You can save more weight in parts, if you really need to boost the economy that way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Buy the niner

riden them both, I have also owned a 2002 MT Tam 29er and have an EMD along with the one-9...(obviously didn't go with the fisher's) One thing to consider as well - frame size, my small One-9 is probably the best handling bike I have ridden, I am 5-9, 170 lbs. I bought the EMD about six months before getting the One-9, EMD is a medium...EMD is a point and shoot bike, one-9 is fantastic in technicals, twisties, switch-backs, jumps and stuff. Never thought there would be that much difference between the two...but there is, EMD has nice coat of dust on it, One-9 has nice coat of mud on it. (set up is almost identical between the two bikes, stem, wheels, tires, seat post, brakes, etc...crank length the only difference between them) that is my two cents for your post...buy the 0ne-9;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
f' Gary Fischer

Gary Fischer (trek) has no sole, sell it, and buy a niner.

The niner guys are doing a wonderful job on pushing the 29er's. GF is simpling making money for TREK.

Your better off not dealing with the bike corporations.
(yes I have ridden the rig, i like the tire size the frame is not very smooth which what I expected form TREK, GF.

KFORUM.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Have not ridden the RIG so not gonna comment on that BUt my Niner SIR9 is close to a flawless bike within its intended uses. The Niner guys don't do anything else. 29 inches all the way... you better bet that makes a difference.

That said I think GF deserve some props for bring the 29er thing into the mainstream at a reasonable price point. The GF 29ers are the only ones the LBSs around me carry as complete bikes. I'm having a hard time thinking of other non-boutique manufacturers who have shown the same amount of commitment.

Overall I think compariing Niner to GF is like comparing a good single malt to a blend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
niner bikes update, deals, etc...

Thought I would pass this on, it was in my in-box today:

Hello everybody,

Here is an update on what is happening at Niner Bikes.

M.C.R. 9 is here now!

We've been paying attention, and as a result, here's the newest member of our Niner family: The M.C.R. 9 (magic carpet ride) is a geared only version of our hugely popular S.I.R. 9. The M.C.R. 9 features Niner's proprietary Reynolds 853 tubeset with the reduced weight of a standard bottom bracket shell. Other changes include top tube cable routing (the S.I.R. 9 will continue to have downtube cable routing for that minimalist look), and new cast drop outs with more material shaved away and a replaceable alloy derailleur hanger. Check out all of the details on the SHOWROOM page:

http://www.ninerbikes.com/mcr9.html

Dealer Locator

Our web site is now equipped with a "Dealer Locator". As our dealer base gets stronger and stronger, we wanted to make it easier for you to find the closest one. Punch in your zip code and find the closest dealer to you. Stop in and hassle them for a Niner test ride.

Welcome 2007 Team

For 2007, we're expanding our team a little bit. We've added riders Dan Jansen and Heidi Volpe. We're excited to see both of you join Niner bikes and welcome back Leslie Williams, the first ever sponsored Niner rider, and Dejay Birtch.

Dan Jansen

Dejay Birtch

Leslie Williams

Heidi Volpe

Catalogs available

If you would like a Niner catalog, please email us at [email protected]. This is a full color spread of all of our models (the current catalog does not have the M.C.R. 9 in it yet).

EBB available to custom builders

As a reminder, we offer the Niner EBB build kit to custom builders. The kit includes everything you need to put the Niner EBB in any steel frame (EBB shell, Niner superlight EBB, titanium set screws and set screw bosses). The kit costs $80, so if you're considering having a custom frame made, be sure to ask them if they can build it with a Niner EBB.

Cogs available in 17 -18 tooths!

Our Cogalicious proved to be so popular that we decided to make a few more teeth options. We now offer both a 17t and 18t version and they're available now. Features include single speed specific tooth profile for more chain bite. The Cogalicious also has a wide base for more stability on the cassette body while not gouging into lighter weight aluminum cassette bodies. In addition, the wide base is offset to one side, allowing for even more fine tuning of the chainline.

New Build Kits

We are pleased to announce we have full build kits for most of our frames.

You can see details here:

http://www.ninerbikes.com/ninerparts.html

Ordering pages show the pricing for frame with respective build kit.

http://www.ninerbikes.com/ordering.html

We have a build kit for each frame except for the 4.5 inch full suspension R.I.P. 9. We recommend using a long cage rear der (the new kits come with a med cage der) and the front der will not work on the R.I.P. 9. Also the build kit forks come supplied at 80mm (but can be internally adjusted to 100mm)

One 9 Sale

We have some of the older style Easton Scandium single speed One 9's available for $500.00

The difference between these and the newer model One 9 is the chainstays have less tire clearance and they have the gusseted headtube versus the new bent downtube. We have these sizes and colors available:

XL Godzilla Green

XL Hot Tamale

XL Tang

Large Tang

Med Tang

Scratch and Dented Frame Sale

Yup we make some mistakes around here as well. We have a few frames that got dinged or the paint has some defects in them and we are selling them at a discount. Below is a list of what is available.

s.i.r. 9 Small Godzilla Green Dented headtube $699

s.i.r. 9 Med Tang Weld pinhole in chainstay $699

s.i.r. 9 Med Tang Paint defect $749

s.i.r. 9 Med Tang Paint defect $749

s.i.r. 9 Large Tang Paint defect $749

One 9 Small Tang Sloppy weld on EBB shell $699

One 9 Med Hot Tamale Chip in paint $749

One 9 Large Tang Chip paint headtube $749

E.M.D. 9 Med Licorice Tiny scratches (display frame) $449

Air 9 Large Tang Paint chip on BB shell $699

All frames come with factory warranty. All damage has been inspected by us and is considered cosmetic defects.

Current Frame Availability-

s.i.r. 9 - Most colors and sizes in stock (Limited Edition Kermit Green frames are being discontinued - 2 size Med left)

m.c.r. 9 - All sizes and colors in stock (Matching rigid forks also available)

E.M.D. 9 - All sizes in stock

One 9 - All colors and sizes in stock

Air 9- All colors and sizes in stock. (Except XL sizes - sold out till April)

R.I.P. 9's small in stock

Med sold out till March

Large in stock

XL sold out till March

Thank you for all your support this year. It has been a great year for 29er's in general. We're constantly pushing the envelop of 29ers and have more product on the way. If there's something that we don't make, that you think we should, please let us know.

Chris and Steve
Niner Bikes

If you would like to be taken off our update list please reply to this email with Remove in the subject heading and you will be taken off. We will NEVER sell or share your email address with another person or company.

--
Niner Bikes
www.ninerbikes.com
877-NIN-ERXC
(877-646-3792)

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
I'd go with a niner for multiple reasons which have already been stated here. I'll second one, Niner is a hell of a company.

·
Registered
419 Posts
kforum said:
Gary Fischer (trek) has no sole, sell it, and buy a niner.

The niner guys are doing a wonderful job on pushing the 29er's. GF is simpling making money for TREK.

Your better off not dealing with the bike corporations.
(yes I have ridden the rig, i like the tire size the frame is not very smooth which what I expected form TREK, GF.

KFORUM.
and your Klein is....?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.