Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i usually run 32:16 on my 26 wheel mtb ss
i have recently taken purchase of a 29er mtb ss and it has come with 32:16 which is a little tough going at the moment.

is 32:18 a similar gear to run ?

any help much appreciated

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
mavis8 said:
i usually run 32:16 on my 26 wheel mtb ss
i have recently taken purchase of a 29er mtb ss and it has come with 32:16 which is a little tough going at the moment.

is 32:18 a similar gear to run ?

any help much appreciated
Yes, add 2 teeth to the cog to approximate the same ratio on the 26".

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
This question will probably stay on every page of this forum till eternity...has some added it to the FAQ yet? Bet it's there though...

If you care enough for your gearing to play with numbers, at least use 26.5 and 29, much more accurate, there's 2.5" rim difference.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Gear calculators are fun for gear-nuts like myself, but the simple answer is: yes, add 2 teeth to your cog (make it 32x18), and you'll have the same gear you had on your 26"er.

The slightly-more-involved answer is that 29" wheels are very close to 10% bigger than 26" wheels. Gear down by 10% and you'll get the same overall gear. Going from 16t to 18t is pretty close to a 10% reduction in gear.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Now it makes sense

I've been running 32:16 on my Niner. Guess since I didn't know any better I've just gotten that much stronger over the past 3 months!

·
Registered
356 Posts
depends on where you are

Ride what you can ride, depends on where you are. Here in the mtns around SLC, most 29er riders are running 32X20 or 34X20 and we're talking former top expert racer dudes when they rode 26" geared bikes. (not wussies by any stretch) So as a rule, go 2 teeth bigger, but you don't have to be ashamed if you go to an easier gear.
http://www.panix.com/~jbarrm/pcgi-bin/c41strt.cgi is the best gear inch calculator I've used online. You can even input cadences for given gear ratios and it'll tell you how fast that is in MPH. Pretty cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.