Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could spend a week in any one place to ride for a week where would it be?

Looking to take a vaction with a group of friends and Im having a hard time deciding where to go.

Thanks,
Evan

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
mntbikr15 said:
If you could spend a week in any one place to ride for a week where would it be?

Looking to take a vaction with a group of friends and Im having a hard time deciding where to go.

Thanks,
Evan
Having visited Durango, CO, Moab, UT, and I have lived in So. Cal., but currently live in OR, I would do Durango in a heartbeat. I would also travel the 2 hours to Bend, OR to ride for a week.

You looking to camp, or credit card camp? Purgatory has a nice little condo dealie. From there you could go lower into the city of Durango.

I would love to try AZ, and the east coast. There are so many rad places in the states. Forgive my bias. :thumbsup:

I envy your situation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Durango was pretty high up on my list of places. Been there twice but havent gotten much riding in either time.

I also was considering BC but Im unfamiliar with the XC world up there and most of the group would be doing mostly XC. Maybe me and one or two other people would be the only freeriders.

I live on the east and have rode all over out here. The only place Id consider for a trip like this would be Pisgah NC...but I love the west to much so if we stay in the states its prob gotta be west.

Id love to do fruita/grand junction as well but cant find much in the way of lodging.

Looking for a house to rent for the week that sleeps at least 10. Right now Durango or Whistler look to fit that bill the best.

Thanks for the replies

Evan

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
mntbikr15 said:

Thanks,
Evan
I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with a trip to BC - but if a transcontinental trip is beyond your reach and you're looking for someplace you can drive to (w/o using up your entire week in the car!) go here:

http://www.kingdomtrails.com

About 8hrs from me. Being in Allentown, you've got a head start. So, probably just over 7 hrs for you. Trust me when I say that it's worth the drive.

If a week of kick-ass XC singletrack is what you crave - KT won't disappoint! And, you can either camp within spitting distance of the trail system, or do what we did last summer and rent a cottage. Burke Cottage Rentals is within a mile or two (easily rideable to & from trails), and very reasonably priced. Each cottage sleeps 4, and iirc, was something like $85/night (Total. So, ~ $21 per person, per night).

Plenty of trails to keep you busy for a week. Some of the most fun, well-signed, well-maintained trails I've ever seen.

Go. Go. Go.

I can't wait to go back... just waiting for the snow to melt! :D

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
first, I'd drive down to blackrock, spend a day there. then drive home, then head off to whistler/vancouver in the morning. it was the most amazing place I've ever been. not only (when I went) got to play on the mountain on my DH bike, I took my DJ hartail on this amazing singletrack run with a buddy up there. smooth and fast, great trail. a lot of different typed of riding, I loved it.

so thats whare I would go, Blackrock/Whistler/Vancouver/Kamloops

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
mntbikr15 said:
Id love to do fruita/grand junction as well but cant find much in the way of lodging.
Here are some possibilities from the "Fruita point of view":

La Quinta in Fruita "new" - 970-858-8850

Westgate Inn - at I-70 exit just east of Fruita - 970-241-3020

Stonehaven Bed & Breakfast - Local, hot tub, great landscape - B&B - 970-858-0898

Balanced Rock Motel - Local, close, small and clean - 970-858-7333

Serenity B&B . Newly re-opened Grapeland B&B, now the 'Serenity B&B' Just minutes from downtown Fruita and a whole new feel. Accupressure treatments, singletrack tours and more.

On Horizon Drive just 10 minutes East

Holiday Inn - off I-70 exit at Horizon Dr - 970-243-6790

Adams Mark Hotel - 970-241-8888

Camping

Colorado River State Park at Fruita - close, nice, showers, reservations - 858-9188
Highline Lake State Park - close to Kokopelli's Trailhead, nice, showers, reservations - 858-7208
Fruita Monument RV Park - right here in Fruita - RV, tents and cabins - 970-858-3155

·
MrT
119 Posts
mntbikr15 said:

Thanks,
Evan
Colorado and Utah...and make it 2 weeks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Lake Tahoe

I spent a week at Lake Tahoe with my boyfriend. Amazing!! I feel like we barely touched on the mountain biking! The Tahoe Rim Trail (http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/) is almost a week alone. Then the Flume trail, it is technically pretty easy, as long as you don't have any fear of heights, but the views are amazing! There is a ton more riding a bit away from the lake as well if you ask locals or the shops, but we used up a week easily just riding near the lake.

If you have Southwest Airlines flying out of anywhere nearby (Baltimore is one option if I understand you are in PA, but maybe somewher closer as well), they fly into Reno pretty cheap, which is only about 45 minutes from Lake Tahoe.

If you don't want to ship your bike, you can rent at Flume Trail Bikes (www.theflumetrail.com), Olympic Bikes (http://www.olympicbikeshop.com/) and probably others.

There are TONS of camping options in the area that are quite reasonable. We stayed at William Kent (http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/ca/wilk/newindex.html) and found it a little crowded, but quite nice and a good location. We rode from there to a section of the Tahoe Rim Trail. Plus there is an AMAZING breakfast place right near the entrance (Fire Sign Cafe - get there between 8 and 9 for the best coffee cake ever.)

Some photos:

Vegetation Nature Sky Natural environment Natural landscape

Vegetation Natural environment Plant Plant community Mountain

Nature Tree Wilderness Biome Cumulus

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My girlfriend an I have decided to buy a truck and take a month or two driving XC and riding along the way.

There will still be a wks house rental somewhere. Right now the list of possibilities is something like

Durango
Tahoe
Whistler(if we want to make it that far)
Crested Butte(altitude maybe an issue for just a week?)

New Zealand is on my list of places to hit...but most of the group couldnt afford it so that will be later.

Thanks for the input all

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
mntbikr15 said:
I realize this...my friends and I were hoping to rent a whole house for the week though. Cant find anything in the way of that really.
Make a deal with Kristy at http://www.stonehavenbed.com/

Maybe she would let you have the run of the house for cheap if it didn't require her to cook breakfast.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
mntbikr15 said:
I realize this...my friends and I were hoping to rent a whole house for the week though. Cant find anything in the way of that really.
I would do Fruita & Moab... Had a blast there in November... Talk to Troy at Over The Edge Sports.............I have been trying to find it for you, but cant, there is a house there that can be rented in Fruita, setup for Mountain Bikers... Am sure Troy will know at OTE

http://www.otesports.com/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.