Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think? I pulled this from an email I recieved today. If you want to voice your opinion please contact Danny or Jim. through http://www.btcmarin.org

"One Way Direction? Input Requested

If you have ridden the camp on a sunny Saturday afternoon you will probably notice how popular the trails are with mountain bikers. We have had a couple of suggestions for making the trails "one-way" on weekends.

The "one-way" directions would just be suggestions and not a requirement. For example there might be signs saying "Saturdays suggested direction is clockwise". Or, "on even days suggested direction is counter-clockwise".

What do you think about that idea? Do you have other suggestions about this or other ways to deal with congestion on the trails on the weekends?.

Again, at this time, nothing is planned. But we would like your input."

Would this cause stryfe between riders when they meet? Or is this just a safer way of riding. I don't really care either way I just wish more people would call out or ring a bell coming around a blind corner. (in general)
What about a "Yield Day" rather than a one way day. Bikers going CCW Yeild on Even days and CW Yield on Odd days.:thumbsup:

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Not a fan of the subtle direction suggestion or yield days. Follow basic trail rules and courtesy. Many times I usually do a CW and CCW loop to keep it interesting. Last weekend we did this, and while we ran into a few more people during the CCW loop against the "flow" everyone was friendly and people yielded to the uphill rider. It is fun to clear Wagon Wheel in the opposite direction and other times it is fun to bomb it.

I suggest doing a CCW loop before the crowds get there which is most times after noon.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ryan G. said:
I suggest doing a CCW loop before the crowds get there which is most times after noon.
Ahh must be why I don't see many riders, I am usually there between 8-9AM.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Not a fan of the one way suggestion. I think it will make people going clockwise feel entitled to ride fast around blind corners and blame people going counter clockwise. Keep it open both ways and don't let people think they are going the "right" way if they go clockwise. Making it a hard and fast rule or just a suggestion will both have the same effect.

-slide

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
agree with keeping it as is. This favors the one-loopers, and not the two-loopers (one each way).

Right now the problem is minimal. They would be creating a bigger mess per what Slide describes.

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
Buzkil said:
Or is this just a safer way of riding. I don't really care either way I just wish more people would call out or ring a bell coming around a blind corner. (in general)
Buz, I like this idea better. More cowbell! Seriously if we whistled or rang a bell on just the few blind corners there would be less conflict. Most riders I've met are courteous to a fault.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
As an out of towner, if that were the rule I could only ever go one direction. That reduces the fun enough I'd reconsider buying my annual pass. Edit: oops, I didn't read the OP very closely. If Saturday were one way and Sunday the other way, my first sentence is totally false. D'oh!

I've only had an issue once when going CCW, when someone going downhill didn't yield to me going uphill, and even they apologized.

G

·
Making the trails directional on alternating days is a good idea! At the same time, I'm fine with the trails the way they are. I haven't encountered any issues with the trails being multi-directional. I do think beginner riders may benifit from directional trail, and yes I know the trails aren't recommended for beginners :D

·
ventanakaz
294 Posts
i think signs should be put up at all trails saying use common sense when riding and prepair to stop or slow down at blind corners. i got slamed into years ago by some dumba** there coming around a blind corner.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Ditto that

slide mon said:
Not a fan of the one way suggestion. I think it will make people going clockwise feel entitled to ride fast around blind corners and blame people going counter clockwise. Keep it open both ways and don't let people think they are going the "right" way if they go clockwise. Making it a hard and fast rule or just a suggestion will both have the same effect.

-slide
Good call slide.

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
slide mon said:

-slide
Totally agreed. It will only further entitle the cranky old ladies who scream "RIDING UPHILL!! I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!" when you're coming down Serpentine... this actually happened to me a few weeks ago. I can't imagine that woman had a positive experience that day... probably should have gone to China Camp...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.