Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for bike fit changes when you frequently get one hip flexor very tight after a ride? It's also hard to relax my hip. I do some serious yoga poses - and it doesn't help. Any advice, much appreciated. :D

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You should verify your legs are the same length. Stop sitting on your wallet all day. Ride standing up more and switch to flat pedals maybe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hadn't thought of the flat pedals - I'll try that. I thought my left leg was shorter, but I'm still getting hip tightness with a shoe shim. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Since you didn't totally hate the flat pedal idea, check out bikejames.com and --saving the craziest for last --sign up for a martial arts class. I did because my son wanted to and man are my hips strong and flexible now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my left hip. After yoga, foam an pvc rolling, physical therapy and a chiropractor, I was told to see a sports physical therapist. Turned out to be weak hips. I would see a sports phys if you can or look up hip strengthening exercises.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Week hips, interesting. I did start a bike muscle building routine - but stopped the leg work outs because it seemed to irritate my left leg hip flexor. Hadn't thought to do the opposite - will consider. Thanks for the idea.

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
How long have you been using a shim in your shoes? I've been receiving treatment for a similar issue and my right leg is shorter. After installing a shim, it took more than a month, almost 2 before I balanced out. My Chiro still does myofacial release therapy which really helps a great deal.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
This is an instance when a visit to a bike fitting professional would be advantageous.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear from someone else with a similar situation. Two months - I guess our bodies take a while to adjust. But I'm surprised to hear you still need myofacial release therapy! I was hoping this would end with the shim. Let me know if it gets better, maybe you need 6 months to adjust to the shim. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts