Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd start this thread so folks can post rim/hub combos that require only one spoke length. It makes it easier for beginner builders, and makes parts ordering easier.

I just build a 24" wheelset using DT Swiss 236mm spokes for the front and rear wheels.
Rims: 24" Sun Ringlé Rhyno Lite XL 36h
Front hub: Shimano XT 20mm TA (HB-M776)
Rear hub: Shimano Deore Disc
The spoke lengths were all within 1mm of the recommended lengths.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,678 Posts
Most wheels need two spoke lengths that are generally 2mm different.
So, use the middle length and adjust accordingly as you build.

Or just get the correct spoke lengths to begin with. Not sure how two different spoke length adds ANY complexity to building a wheel? If you're competent enough to build a wheel, two spoke lengths should not be a problem at all to wrap your mind around.

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
Hadley builds their hubs to run the same spoke length for both flanges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most wheels need two spoke lengths that are generally 2mm different.
So, use the middle length and adjust accordingly as you build.

Or just get the correct spoke lengths to begin with. Not sure how two different spoke length adds ANY complexity to building a wheel? If you're competent enough to build a wheel, two spoke lengths should not be a problem at all to wrap your mind around.
Aside from your condescension, you make a good point. But the truth is, if you are a BEGINNER builder (we all have to do something the first time before we are "competent"), keeping track of your spokes may add complexity. And if you work at a bike shop, or need to order your spokes, one spoke length can make things a lot easier, not to mention cheaper. If you've ever ordered from QBP, you'd know that you get quantities of 50 or 100, depending on the spoke manufacturer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts