Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. There was a time we didn't even have a power toter. We did rent a Bobcat for a month, but that's gone now.

We're well into the second year now and progress is amazing.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
It's actually pretty cool to be a part of it and my kids and I now have what we call, "our corner" after we spent a day together out there. Wish it was closer and wish more people would get out and help get it done....

Major kudos to those that have spent a LOT of time out there. Yep, it's only going to get better.

·
m0un#a!n 8ik3r
251 Posts
VERY nice pics, Skookum!!! :thumbsup:

And them sword fern look damn good! .... always have been one of my favorite of woodland shrubs. I gotta make it out there for another work party, one of these days.

And um, to speak to something that was asked in another recent thread. Yes, Colonnade is currently open for biking to the general public, whether or not you do a work party there (of course, they would prefer you DO help out with the work goin on there, but, bottom line, they want people to ride it, so that more will ride it, and therefore even MORE will ride it... etc etc. (I learned this from one of the "head honchos" of the park/project... who will remain nameless, simply cuz I never did ask him if I could quote him on that.)

·
Registered
333 Posts
For the first time in a year or so I have a proper mountain bike. I rode to REI this afternoon so I stopped by Colonnade to have a look and a quick ride around the trails.

I came to two conclusions from my ride there;

1. That's a whole lotta rocks and dirt you volunteers have been moving.

2. My technical riding skills SUCK!

Guess I'd better keep practicing.

Big thanks to all the folks for past and future work there!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
That looks like it took many hours of slave labor to build.
The biggest problem I'm having so far is materials. It takes a lot of wood to build just one stunt.:eek:

I had to check out the park when I was last over in Seattle. Can't wait till you have more log rides and where was the pump track? I never found it.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The pump track is probably still unfinished. It's up on the hill just south of the beginner trail.

Been a while since i've been out there, but ideas are spinning in my head on what i'd like to contribute out there. Just can't find the time lately...

Anyways, i'm glad people are getting out there and using the trails. i remember when i first rode Tapeworm i couldn't believe people could do some of the stuff on a mt. bike. And that's what i try to bring to the table when it comes to something technical. It's a fun aspect of mt. biking, learning how to clear obstacles. Wouldn't be as fun if their wasn't much challenge to it.:)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Don't know if the pump track is "done" but you can ride it and it's fun. I've never been on one before so I don't have anything to compare it to.

·
Wierdo
3,198 Posts
Double E said:
And them sword fern look damn good! .... always have been one of my favorite of woodland shrubs. I gotta make it out there for another work party, one of these days.
Are those ferns and small trees going to make it? They are planted under cover...where are they going to get water from? Just wondering...have not been out there yet, so maybe I am missing something? :confused:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave_schuldt said:
Don't know if the pump track is "done" but you can ride it and it's fun. I've never been on one before so I don't have anything to compare it to.
It's complete when it's a loop, so you can repeat indefinately.

·
Registered
263 Posts
woodway said:
Are those ferns and small trees going to make it? They are planted under cover...where are they going to get water from? Just wondering...have not been out there yet, so maybe I am missing something? :confused:
Sword ferns like shade and can live on ground water! If there's no ground water, then their as good as dead.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
woodway said:
We've placed drain culverts hidden under the trail, and as a result we're diverting the water to the plants. From all the rain it was apparent where the water was coming from and where it wanted to flow to. The main reason for the drains wasn't to feed plants however. There is quite a bit of water flooding off the hill (Capitol Hill, all pavement, poor soil) and when it drains through the trail system it destroys it, undermining the soil and compromising the rock reinforcement.
Over a year ago Art and i discussed making a more complex drainage to a bird bath rock feature. Good idea but alot of work and kinda silly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.