Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today on my drive home I decided to stop at some great trails here in FL and squeeze in a turkey day morning ride. Everything was going pretty well during the ride, no bad bails, no broken parts (yet), and I was feeling pretty good. Found an awesome new jump and then stopped to get a picture of my favorite part of the trail.

While taking a picture of my the section of trail a rider came through and offered to take a picture of me riding it. I was pretty glad he offered because I usually ride alone and it's hard to get action shots of yourself. I wasn't expecting a great pic but the guy got a pretty good shot. Many thanks to the anonymous rider.

A little further down the trail while on the last quick downhill chute I heard what I thought was chainsuck. After hearing some crunching/snapping/scrapeing sounds I got to the bottom and took a look at the damage. I was floored. I'm not gonna try to explain what happened because I'm not too sure. Here are the pics.

I think I'm gonna give SRAM a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yea I rode there with my buds in March with my old frame. Screwed up my middle finger on one of the drops cause my buds had to have a community meeting about going down a particular drop. The anticipation killed me and I went otb. I recently went from xt triggers and r der to x-9 triggers and x0 r der and just love the crisp shifting. I never experienced the problems others on this site have had with shimano. I just love the audible click when I shift.

·
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had tons of problems with shimano derailleurs. I started with basic deore, then deore LX on my new bike, which I upgraded to the XT. I could never seem to get the shifting just right on any of the derailleurs, even after the lbs adjusted it. Plus the chainslap was always really bad.

·
Registered
809 Posts
FloridaFish said:
After hearing some crunching/snapping/scrapeing sounds I got to the bottom and took a look at the damage. I was floored. I'm not gonna try to explain what happened because I'm not too sure. Here are the pics.
I think I'm gonna give SRAM a try.
Is it just me, or is there also a crack in your seatstay right above the pivot bolt (3rd pic)?? is that also inflicted by the derailleur ripping off?? That really sucks man...

Arek

·
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Arek said:
Is it just me, or is there also a crack in your seatstay right above the pivot bolt (3rd pic)?? is that also inflicted by the derailleur ripping off?? That really sucks man...

Arek
Yeah, i noticed that in the picture but when I cleaned the dirt out it was just a really big gouge in the chainstay. I'll probably have to replace the chainstay, again, because of the damage. And yeah all the scratches were done by the derailleur getting smashed into my wheel, breaking a spoke, and then rotating around with the wheel almost 360 degrees.

here's another pic of the chainstay damage

Attachments

·
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
keetowah said:
FWIW I've done the same exact thing to SRAM deraillers....
damn, from what I've seen here on MTBR it seems like the SRAM stuff works pretty well, but I guess that crap is gonna happen no matter what sometimes.

I've had so many problems with my Shimano derailleurs that as soon as I saw what happened I said that's it, time to give SRAM a try. now i just need the money :(

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Yea, I'm going with you hit a stick... hard to imagine the derailleur would just fail like that. But don't be disillusioned and think that only Shimano has this problem; while SRAM makes some decent products, their derailleurs have the same problems...

oh yea, and dude, that sucks. At least you were able to get most of your ride in before that happened...

·
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ickyickyptngzutboing said:
Yea, I'm going with you hit a stick... hard to imagine the derailleur would just fail like that. But don't be disillusioned and think that only Shimano has this problem; while SRAM makes some decent products, their derailleurs have the same problems...

oh yea, and dude, that sucks. At least you were able to get most of your ride in before that happened...
I don't think it was a stick, the piece of trail where it happened was loose limestone with some bigger rocks with only ferns on the side of the trail. I'm pretty sure the cage hit a rock and went into my spokes because I have 2 broken spokes and the spring was wrapped around my cassette.

I'm not thinking that SRAM derailleurs are indestructible either. This is my third Shimano derailleur (deore, LX, and XT) that has been mangled, and none of them has ever been tuned right for more than one ride. I'm just gonna give SRAM a try and see how the competition works.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
that happened to me to, though it didn't brake the frame, the derallier got caught in some spokes and launched it over my head, it was pretty cool looking

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.