Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recovery advice please! I'm riding a local series, 7 races every thursday evening. Only about 9 miles, only about 4 or 500 ft elevation gain. First race was last week, not sure if I should even ride any until the next race. I'm a few day away from 62 years, normally ride fairly hard, but not at a race pace, 3 days a week, 12 miles a day with lots of climbing.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Try riding slower than your usual pace, and without lots of climbing, the day or two after your race. that should help with lactic acid buildup.
Riding for recovery is quite helpful for me.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I agree with Radium. You need to get out there in between races for a few reasons, one of them being aiding your recovery. Also, you still need to keep your legs and lungs fresh prior to the next one.

What's your racing time and how hard is your effort, if you can measure that in some way?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll be doing some easy rides as recommended. Also I'm thinking I should look into a good recovery drink for immediately after the races.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll be doing some easy rides as recommended. Also I'm thinking I should look into a good recovery drink for immediately after the races.
Protein powder or other supplements immediately after racing or hard workouts aid recovery so you can go at it again and keep improving. Easy spins to dissipate Lactic Acid are also proven essential. I'm about half way through "Fast After 50" by Joe Friel which has lots of good info for training of "seniors". I'm 64.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.