Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was one of the saddest days of my life.

God had blessed me with my soon to come (next Aug 1st.) marriage and a baby coming next january.

Aside from that, I'm going thru a hard time regarding money. As I'm completely out of money due to my wedding and some other stuff that happened on the way I had to sell my beloved Giant Warp DS1 2003.

It had just 350 miles with me... but I loved the stuff. It was a piece of my heart. It was really painful and I'm not making this up. Not being sarcastic or trying to be funny.

Sorry to bother you with this but I had to spit it out.

Trying to see the shiny side, a new bike will be in my stables as soon as I can. But it won't happen at least until middle of next year.

Happy trails... for those who can ride.

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
Somebody give this dude a bike!

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
yes, it seems that every marriage in this country (USA) is pressured to become something like a Royal Wedding, and usually people overextend their abilities to comfortably afford the wedding. I don't understand it either. Why all the pomp and circumstance and expense? keep it cheap and spend the money on YOURSELVES, not on your one-day party. that's just like pi$$ing the money down the gutter.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my defense....

I gotta say a couple things...

This is a very simple wedding. The wedding "per se" is not the problem. The problem comes from expenses not associated with the wedding. It was the combination of events what put me thru this situation.

You may think... "oh, a giant Warp would not take me off a serious problem even if I get a nice deal" and you may be probably right... but in Mexico for sure a Warp can take you out of shift.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry about your lose brother, one positive though, your family is lucky to have you considering you gave up something your passionate about. I'm sure it was a no brainer but alot of people would'nt have been as responsible. Gotta give you props for that. Anyways I'm sure good karma is coming back your way. I'll ride extra hard tomorrow in tribute to your lose. :)

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
congrats on everything else!

I have no upcoming marriage or children or anything along those lines, but I do have my dream bike. Lost my job immediately after I purchased it.

When I look at the bike, I try NOT to see the six months' rent that it represents. So I can relate to how you feel- if I should reach the point where it must be sold, I would be a basket case.

Luckily I've always been frugal, and the bike is the most expensive thing I've ever purchased for myself. I should be able to hang on to it.......but one never knows.

I feel for your loss, as I'm sure we all do. But we're also confident you'll be back in the saddle with a suitable replacement very soon. :)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Don't give up riding...

...find yourself an old rigid for a hundred bucks and keep pedalling til you can upgrade. I just put my vintage Rockhopper back together and I'm having a blast with it! Might be tough to find one down in Mexico though. Good luck and congrats on the marriage.

·
YRTRNRSHVY
556 Posts
My bottom bracket is bad and tooth is chipped on my big ring. My dog died, my wife left me, and I lost my job. Will everyone send my $10?

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Weddings are freaking expensive. We saved for years, & were lucky enough to get some $ from family... and all of it gone in one night. $20k+ (*gasp*) It hurts to think about it.

We'd have a better house if we did things differently... (but it made her happy).

Get your @$$ a cheap, used beater bike and ride. An old steel hardtail should be easy enough to come by and it will probably outlast all of us.

*You can always post a sob story on the web asking for donations. I've heard some people have made some cash doing this...

·
Nervous Descender
717 Posts
Locoman said:
Weddings are freaking expensive. We saved for years, & were lucky enough to get some $ from family... and all of it gone in one night. $20k+ (*gasp*) It hurts to think about it.

We'd have a better house if we did things differently... (but it made her happy).

Get your @$$ a cheap, used beater bike and ride. An old steel hardtail should be easy enough to come by and it will probably outlast all of us.

*You can always post a sob story on the web asking for donations. I've heard some people have made some cash doing this...
Aww, come on- my wife and I got married for less than $5,000- nice ceremony in a 200 year old historic house/grounds, wedding reception w/ live jazz at our favorite local brewpub with 9 microbrews on tap, and honeymoon in Cape Cod! There is no reason any wedding should HAVE to cost $20k, unless thats what you want.

·
10,112 Posts
I totally agree, but it's what she wanted. I made a point that I thought it was crazy, but it made her happy. With that said, I also told her not to ever make a point that I spend too much on my bike -ever. Now we're both happy.

·
They say I have a problem
460 Posts
steve3 said:
I can never understand how weddings put people on hard times. If it costs so much, wait or get a cheapie Town Hall marriage until things are on a better footing.
I hear ya...

That's why were only inviting immediate family to ours....We didn't want to get into the dilemma of having to juggle all kinds of things just to get the big fancy wedding in...Instead we are having a small intimate affair for the most important people in our lives...

Plus we get a wicked mountain biking honeymoon in North Carolina and Tennessee and we'll still have some cash left over to splurge on a few choice bike parts...

Rich

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all....

For your support and patience by taking the time to read and reply.

I can borrow a ride quite easy. I even can borrow a road bike just to get rolling. The thing was the loss of my Warp... I'm still sad, but I'll compensate by riding longer and stronger no metter what bike I would ride.

Really, Thank you all for your support. You're the best crew out there.

I should've clarified. My marriage is gonna be cheap to be true but the couple (a co-worker and his wife) with whom we shared the apartment (we work for the same company) was reassigned to somewhere else. The contract was on his behalf and now is on mine but obviously I had to pay for three months of rent (two as a kind of warranty). Aside from some other expenses which left me some more debts.

As I was "fund-less" I borrowed money from my sister who got it from (duh!!) her credit card (Mine is still on its way, negligent me). So, just to avoid my sister to get to pay interests and all that crap, I decided to sell out my ride.

I still owe some money but at least is my money what I owe and it's not my sister's money (which eventually would go up and up and up, you guys know how banks operate and Mexico is far worse than in the US).

I feel good for that. My fiance (almost wife now) feels confident and trust me some more and generally I feel good. She even promised me to help me get a ride (not complaining about the price tag - which is a lot of help IMHO!!).

You guys are the greatest!!! Thumbs up especially to ADDICT and his $10 bucks motion!!!!

·
10,112 Posts
Good luck :- )

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wedding in 3 days?

Is your wedding this Sunday and then a kid due in January?

If so, I did the same thing as you. In fact, my 9th anniversary is today. July 29th. Had our first kid Feb 5th. You do the math. Best decision I've ever made! Had a quick wedding but still very nice. Just do what is necessary to make your bride happy. Typically, a wedding means quite a bit more to the woman so make it memorable.

About the bike....don't sweat it. You'll get a new one before you know it. Just a small speed bump right now. Look forward to the exciting times ahead! Here is that first, second and third kid.......... 8, 6 & 3 years old now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yepp.....

You nailed it perfect! That is exactly what she does! Very talkative and may know more than she should. Parenting her has been much more exciting and creative than the other two!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts