Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few posts stating how much the old brain shocks weighed but I never found a verified weight so I decided to pull mine off and check...not good. 465g, I'm curious how much the new mini one cuts off of that weight.

Bottle Glass Glass bottle Drinkware Barware

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ya, but.

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle frame Musical instrument accessory Metal

Even with the brain, this bikes sits race ready at 20.9lbs.
Sorry I don't have a complete pic.

·
West Chester, PA
4,970 Posts
rockyuphill said:
I've never been so happy to have a brainless shock... :D
The weight aside, just not having to deal with all of the BS specialized makes you go through just to get their shocks serviced or repaired is a blessing.

- former Brain rider

BTW - the one the OP posted is not only the heaviest brain shock they made (because of the big bracket on the end of it) but also the poorest functioning one. The new epic posted a little lower has the new for '10 fox-made shock; lighter and apparently much better performing. Hopefully fox will make it easier to get them serviced too.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
Epic?

92gli said:
BTW - the one the OP posted is not only the heaviest brain shock they made (because of the big bracket on the end of it) but also the poorest functioning one.
nah, the brain shock on my 04 S-Works Epic is even more of a lummox AND it has even shorter travel

i win! my Epic is even less errr, "epic" than the OP's

...the brain shocks on the newest S-Works is night & day compared with the unfinished prototypes that came with the Epics only a few years ago

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My understanding(no proof) is that the older fox made brains were heavier than the specialized ones on the original epic design.

·
Registered
104 Posts
russya said:
My understanding(no proof) is that the older fox made brains were heavier than the specialized ones on the original epic design.
Not very much, 2007 Fox Brained is 490g.

Best
X.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
92gli said:
Hopefully fox will make it easier to get them serviced too.
WRONG!!!

Fox Shox are dick heads, we've waited over 6 weeks for them to turn around shocks before, and we could
do it ourselves if they'd sell us the tools, but those Pricks refuse to let anyone buy tools to work on them.

I've worked with Fox alot over the 8 years as a sales manager, and they are the worst company to deal with.

·
bike rider
5,567 Posts
Gezzza said:
So you got a heavy frame and shox

Just think what your bike would weight with a light frame and shox
4.9lbs is pretty light for any FS frame. I'm particularly impressed that it's the alloy model, though I assume it must be a small or medium. Specialized sure did improve the Epic for '09!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Lelandjt said:
4.9lbs is pretty light for any FS frame. I'm particularly impressed that it's the alloy model, though I assume it must be a small or medium. Specialized sure did improve the Epic for '09!
Um, that there is a full carbon frame, not alloy.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Lelandjt said:
4.9lbs is pretty light for any FS frame.
That weight is pretty good considering the brain unit on it, I doubt is much lighter than mine. Add in the weight of the hose that runs to the back. I'm sure overall the new shock with brain is lighter than what I have, but that bike would be even lighter, call it 200g maybe.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way an epic rides(I'm one of the few if not the only one who prefers the feel of the old one). I just wish that they didn't hold onto the FSR so tightly, forcing them to use a brain to band-aid an inherit flaw in a design that has been surpassed by more modern designs. If someone (ahem Ibis), would make a 4 or 4.5 inch travel dw link that was around 4 pounds flat for weight I'd be in heaven...here's hoping

·
Registered
215 Posts
Full Carbon

My epic pictured above is an med. 09 in Full Carbon. The black and red one is probably lighter, and based on the road forums I'm gussing about 100 grams. (comparing weights of full painted Tarmacs vs. clear on carbon Tarmacs)
It also has the Bottom Bracket adapters installed. I have no idea what they weigh. Anyone know the weights on the specialized BB adapters?

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
Merida "epic"

your not alone, i still really like the ride characteristics of my 04 SW Epic with its vintage 100mm Terralogic fork + considering how much i'd get for it on Craigs now its 6 years obsolete i really don't mind keeping hold of it "forever"

but the old Epic's suspension on the rear triangle design is not dead!

saw this Merida on the "Post Your XC Rigs; 2010 Edition" thread (on the XC Racing and Training forum) it might be an 09? model as its not on the Merida .de website

........typo.........

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Thats the old Merida FS before the 96'er - a few years ago now. I think it won the award for 'suspension that looks most like a brain without being one'.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts