Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get a group text last night about 8pm from a guy who I've done group rides with before. He had extended an invitation for a group ride at one of our local spots. I quickly confirmed, because the weather has finally broke and I'm ready to hit the trails. No one else confirmed, so I made sure we were good just the two of us riders. He confirms and says I will see you at 8 am at the trail head. So I'm up at 630 to be ready to go and wouldn't you know I have a text from the guy who coordinated backing out for the most lame reason. Pissed me off enough to post this.

When end I ride I just want to ride get out there and go. To many people I ride with always have excuses not to ride or to cut a ride short.......and this is just one of the many reasons why riding alone is better.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Meh. That's not that bad. At least it's enough notice that you can make other plans. I've had guys text me ten minutes after we were supposed to meet. To add insult, they were coming from half an hour away, so they knew at least forty earlier and could have saved me twenty minutes of hanging around the trail head since I always show up ten minutes early. Oh, then there's the time I took a day off work just to meet up with someone. They show up late saying their bike has been broken for a week and don't know if they can ride. Thanks!!!

Needless to say, I now ride solo almost exclusively. If someone asks to ride together, I tell them I'm leaving my car at exactly this time. If you show up late, text me and I'll tell you where I am on the trails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks. I guess my point is that your either a rider or not. Stupid excuses to not ride drive me nuts. I suppose what really pissed me off was I got up early on a Sunday to accommodate his meet up time. Then he bails. I'm honestly to the point where I just have more fun riding alone. You cut out all the BS.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Everybody has their priorities in life. It sucks getting up early and having them bail, but shut off the computer and go hit the trails! It is refreshing riding solo. Go hit the trails you want, at the pace you want and don't stop until you're completely exhausted. Get moving!

·
9 lives
18,218 Posts
I'm fortunate that I have a riding partner (my husband) who never bails on me.
I think it's only happened once when the person calling a ride didn't show up. It's bad manners yes, but we did our own ride and it was glorious.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
I have a pack of friends who ride every Sunday. Sometimes everyone shows, sometimes its just me. The ride happens either way, having people bail out is hardly gona sour me from group rides. Im honestly a bit surprised to hear that people flaking is enough to drive people to stop trying to ride with others.

Worse (as mentioned already) is the guy who shows up unprepared and unready. Our Sunday ride is an advanced group that rides at a good clip, im always amazed when someone decides to bring a friend who just got a bike or some friend of theirs from work who "rides". I would feel bad doing that to someone, i will ride one on one with someone new and wont bring them along on a Sunday unless they show me they have the legs to not hold that group back.

Even when someone brings a noobie on Sunday, its not gona sour me... i just feel bad for that poor rider. I ride because i like to ride. I like when my friends are there to share the experience with me, but ultimately a ride is a ride either way.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,906 Posts
Flaking isn't a big deal most of the time, if we're setting up a shuttle and it changes plans than I can see an issue, but other than that I don't care that much, I will ride alone if others bail.

What annoys me and stops me from riding with other people sometimes is their inability to stop worrying about **** and enjoy the ride. I'm getting older and friends have wives and kids, sometimes they are on a very short leash and they try to get home asap to avoid trouble with the SO. One guy in particular always says he can be out until 7pm when we go ride DH, then during the day mentions how much better it would be if he were home by 5 and if we could be rolling by 3:30 at the latest that would be great. Yeah, awesome.... I won't ride with him anymore.

·
Registered
276 Posts
One of the guys that I have ridden with on a regular basis (in the past) had a record of saying yes he would ride 29 times last year. We actually rode together 4 times. I even told people a few times that they couldn't car-pool with me, because I didn't have room, only to have him back out at the last minute.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Learned this thing the hard way.
I was all set and was on my way to the airport to go to India and 2 of my friends ditched me.
That was the day I decided I will never ever plan anything in a way that someone else's decision would bother me.
Now I say, "If you want, you are most welcome but your decision will not affect mine".
Recently made a trip to Peru to catch some un-described fish alone.
Riding, again, if someone wants to join, please. If not, I have my bike and that's what it all needs :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Never have met anyone at the TH, it's always at someone's home.

That said, I live in a rural mountainous area with lots of trails and VERY few local riders.
My only riding partner now is my brother and he never backs out.

When he's working I ride solo and have no issue's with it :) .

·
Registered
436 Posts
I do like to ride with others, and alone at times. Friends is a term thrown around alot. If a friend of mine said they are going to do something, they do it. If they don't they are not real friends, just other bikers you roll with now and then. Meet at trailhead, no big deal, we roll at 00:00 and that is it. If they late or dont make it, no big deal. If you and your buddies cant meet without bailing that is pretty jacked.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
I have a friend who routinely either bails via text, doesn't answer his phone or calls me 20 minutes into my ride after waiting 15mins for him. I finally just stopped asking him if he wants to ride and I just tell him "I'm hitting the trails up tomorrow, it's going to be sweet". It's super annoying, but it doesn't ruin my ride. I also recently got a few other friends into riding and they never bail.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,906 Posts
Learned this thing the hard way.
I was all set and was on my way to the airport to go to India and 2 of my friends ditched me.
That was the day I decided I will never ever plan anything in a way that someone else's decision would bother me.
Now I say, "If you want, you are most welcome but your decision will not affect mine".
Recently made a trip to Peru to catch some un-described fish alone.
Riding, again, if someone wants to join, please. If not, I have my bike and that's what it all needs :)
Good 1st post and I agree.

I stop making plans with people that flake, mt biking or otherwise, that solves the problem... :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've never been flaked on, or flaked. I always shoot out a text and tell guys when and where I'm riding, and they are welcome to join. I did have a buddy come out with no water, snacks, tools, or spares. That was a little irritating since I had to share my water, but he was new to riding at the time. I chalked it up as a learning experience.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah that's why I ride alone too.
Besides that, I prefer riding alone so I can go when I want, where I want, as fast as I want.

Sometimes I'll go 11am, in the tropical heat just because I feel like it. Or sometimes I'll go on a short 30 min ride at 4pm and go as fast as I can. Or tackle a climb on a hard gear (big ring).

I've ridden in groups before and I find the experience largely overrated. Until you get to the rest stops and talk bikes snd stuff but you can do that at night anyway.

I feel the same way about motorcycles as well. I always ride solo.

If I wanted the whole social thing I'd bring a car, you know what I mean?

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.