Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
artistic...
7,636 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Where does it say GF invented the bicycle in that article?
everytime GF is mentioned i can hear: "i invented the mountain bike". that is enough.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
I don't see where Gary Fisher ever claimed to invent the mountain bike nor have I ever read anywhere that he has ever claimed to have built frames. You have to give Gary Fisher credit where credit is due. In large part he is responsible for marketing mountain bikes to a larger audiance. If it wasn't for his early efforts would they be popular today? Maybe, maybe not as much.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
IF52 said:
I don't see where Gary Fisher ever claimed to invent the mountain bike nor have I ever read anywhere that he has ever claimed to have built frames. You have to give Gary Fisher credit where credit is due. In large part he is responsible for marketing mountain bikes to a larger audiance. If it wasn't for his early efforts would they be popular today? Maybe, maybe not as much.
He no doubt deserves his credit. He's done tons for the sport and the development of 'mountain biking'. Though it seems at times that he gives himself more credit than he deserves...or at least should be including some other significant names in the same breath as his own.

Though take a look at my quote...saw it in a (sh!tty) auction and thought it was pretty ironic. :p

·
artistic...
7,636 Posts
IF52 said:
really? i have seen it all over the place but mostly in trek ad campaigns.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Rumpfy said:
He no doubt deserves his credit. He's done tons for the sport and the development of 'mountain biking'. Though it seems at times that he gives himself more credit than he deserves...or at least should be including some other significant names in the same breath as his own.

Though take a look at my quote...saw it in a (sh!tty) auction and thought it was pretty ironic. :p
Gary's the only guy in the bike business that's ever had his passport expire while he was in Taiwan on business. Make's you wonder what else isn't attached?

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
colker1 said:
really? i have seen it all over the place but mostly in trek ad campaigns.
I can not speak to those since I haven't read them, but does he make the claims or do ad writers. Big difference. I have hung out with Gary Fisher and in talking to him he not once made a claim to have invented the sport and did give a lot of the credit to others.

He did make fun of Tom Ritchey for being really square though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.