Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Administrator
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I think I remember seeing this fork in MBA back in the day. Leading link type thing with anti dive from the looks of it.

Cool piece of history. (Clipped for posterity). Cool parts with the sachs shifter bits and freewheel stuff.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Wheel Crankset Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Automotive tire

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant

Bicycle Plant Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle fork Road surface Asphalt

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset Bicycle tire

Plant Bicycle hub Bicycle tire Tire Crankset

Plant Terrestrial plant Font Urban design Tree

· since 4/10/2009
37,517 Posts
really cool, but holy cow the proprietary parts on the front end.

if you bought that patent, you'd better have some chops to bring the whole design up to modern standards - or know someone interested in licensing it and doing the work to modernize it. That's assuming the patent isn't already expired, or isn't about to.

· Administrator
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
really cool, but holy cow the proprietary parts on the front end.

if you bought that patent, you'd better have some chops to bring the whole design up to modern standards - or know someone interested in licensing it and doing the work to modernize it. That's assuming the patent isn't already expired, or isn't about to.
It is an interesting design with the linked brake. I could be really an amazing performing XC fork, especially with the anti dive but I suspect, much like the trust fork, it would be so expensive, even if you updated it to current brake standards, that it wouldn't be worth pursuing. I feel like standards for suspension are firmly ensconced in the dual slider fork world that breaking into any other paradigm will require cubic dollars and a planned loss per unit MSRP.

Maybe if early linkage forks had been better, AMP, Girvin, and leader, and had provided substantially better performance vs. the simpler slider forks then we would occupy a future in which sliders and linkages were both options but even looking at how few upside down forks are available indicates that it is hard to beat the standard fork. With the Red Bull Rampage being won by a dude on a single crown standard leg fork, it is hard to imagine how far they have come since the RS-1.

· EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,372 Posts
yup....it worked amazing 'back in the day' because we didn't have anything else decent back then

· Administrator
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just saw this today: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-greeves-tfs250-trials/

Fork is totally the same idea except just mirrored. You can see the floating brake linkage and then the suspension linkage. I am kind of surprised that the bike one didn't do the spring in the leg like this idea. Maybe they couldn't get the stiffness or the geometry correct.

I feel linkage designs come around every so often, people talk about them, try them, but the benefits never outweigh the negatives.
Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.