Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropping off kid for freshman year next week. I'll have one morning to myself. Please give suggestions for a loop or out/back medium trail near Boulder. I'll have a car. I'll need to rent a bike, too. I'll be able to ride from 6 am to noon.

Thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Keep in mind that the Canyon is closed to bikes for construction during the week. Times and days change but as of now you can't do that ride without driving up. Other options are driving up Flagstaff and doing Walker (much harder and more technical) or driving up to Nederland and renting a bike at Tin Shed Sports.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Drive down to Golden, go to Golden Bike Shop, rent a bike, ride White Ranch. Or North Table Mountain. Or Apex. Or Matthews Winters/Red Rocks/Dakota Ridge. Golden Bike Shop lets you rent for 24 hours, so you can pick up the bike the evening before and not pay for two days rental. No shops open until 10 AM around here.

The trails in Boulder generally suck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What about Hall Ranch? You can rent from Redstone Cyclery and ride from the shop. You could throw in Heil/Picture Rock as well for a bigger ride. Both rides are in Lyons which is a short drive from Boulder.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Out-of-towners sort of assume there's real close riding in Boulder and a few hours in the morning are enough to find a shop, rent a bike, pedal some loop and be done.

Which as we know just isn't the case. If the OP could schedule a couple of days here his options would be far greater than a few hours one morning.

·
Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
2,706 Posts
Please give suggestions for a loop or out/back medium trail near Boulder.
Where are you coming from and what are you used to riding. What we consider medium (ie blue rated trails) are often rated black in other parts of the country.

Because of the technical variety of trails and the extreme nature of many of them our ratings tend to be pretty skewed...

Also most bike shops won't open until about 10am so renting a bike in the morning,riding and returning by noon is not really feasible. Can you rent the evening before? That'll give you some options.

You can always head to Golden and demo a Pivot or Spot bike direct from the factory. Then you can ride Apex/White Ranch etc. Though as others stated it will be hot so look for a crack of dawn ride so again, you want to see if you can get a bike the night before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
Where are you coming from and what are you used to riding. What we consider medium (ie blue rated trails) are often rated black in other parts of the country.

Because of the technical variety of trails and the extreme nature of many of them our ratings tend to be pretty skewed...

Also most bike shops won't open until about 10am so renting a bike in the morning,riding and returning by noon is not really feasible. Can you rent the evening before? That'll give you some options.

You can always head to Golden and demo a Pivot or Spot bike direct from the factory. Then you can ride Apex/White Ranch etc. Though as others stated it will be hot so look for a crack of dawn ride so again, you want to see if you can get a bike the night before.

Pivot has a demo/manufacturing facility here? I was not aware, or is that a typo? I was aware of Spot, Alchemy, Commencal, Yeti, GG, and Lenz as being the local manufacturers or at least ones with local brick + mortar representation.

·
Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
2,706 Posts
Pivot has a demo/manufacturing facility here? I was not aware, or is that a typo? I was aware of Spot, Alchemy, Commencal, Yeti, GG, and Lenz as being the local manufacturers or at least ones with local brick + mortar representation.
Sorry, mistyped. I meant to say Yeti.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Specialized has a demo center in Boulder.

https://www.specializedboulder.com/

Their prices for demos are quite reasonable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.