Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been MTBing regularly since 2009 -- when I got my first HT MTB. I rode a couple times a week, then eventually bought a road bike, then a FS MTB. I'm now in my first year of competing in MTB Marathons (popular here in Europe) -- Masters Division I, as I am 48. As a result, the old HT hasn't received much love or attention over the past two years.

Over the winter, it dawned on me that as part of my now much more serious training, I could ride the old HT as a SS once/twice a week to work on my out-of-saddle climbing or use on gentle recovery rides.

Some hi-qual lurking on this forum resulted in a happy camper. I skipped work today and knocked out the conversion by 10:00 AM. The maiden voyage of my new SS earlier today resulted in a PR for my 10-mile training loop (used on light days). Again, the PR was the result of forced out-of-saddle climbing in a gear higher than I would normally select.

:thumbsup:

Bike: 2009 Cannondale F7 (originally 3x8)
Chainring: RaceFace Narrow-Wide 34T
Spacer Kit: Wheels Manufacturing
Cog: Steel 16T
Tension: Surly Singleator
Chain: KMC 3/32" for 8-speed

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

Thanks to all for this inspirational forum!
_Matt

·
Registered
421 Posts
I did this to my first bike, '91 Trek 830, a few years ago. Year later I had Civilian Luddite and rode only ss for a few years. This past August did get an El Mar HT to mix it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts