Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Not surprised since the ones over here by us are also slated for demolition soon.

Consider visiting the ones in San Francisco, Fort Funston's are falling apart badly, the one above the Presidio is right where they're doing the new flyover. That along with the old Commissary, ala SportsBasement are also all slated for demo.

IMHO it sucks that because it's still technically Gov't property it will all one day face the big yellow tractors touch.

It's a big part of the Bay Area's history that is slowly being wiped away in the name of progress.

It wouldn't take much to preserve things, not everything, but some for future generations to learn about and be able to experience and touch.

:madman:

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
why do we need to preserve the history that is represented by these silos? Are these silos so important historically that every single one must be preserved? IMO, no, they are not.

I would rather have the land reclaimed for nature.

Patty

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
There is still easy access to the one at the top of Coyote Hills in Fremont. It's 'fenced off' but there is a trail that you can ride around the perimeter and see the site.

Cheers

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
0gre said:
Reclaiming the land would be nice... mostly I just hope they find an inexpensive way to get rid of them... Heck I'd be willing to buy one :D I hate seeing the government spend tons of money filling a hole.
*Party at Dennis's Spot!!?? :D

cmdrpiffle said:
There is still easy access to the one at the top of Coyote Hills in Fremont. It's 'fenced off' but there is a trail that you can ride around the perimeter and see the site.

Cheers
There's more than the one thing to Coyote Hills though. :eek:

Underneath the Ranger's Offices is another humongeous cistern, and there is a network within the hill itself.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Now, with that said, I'll say my full piece here and be done with the topic...neener-neener-neener. :)

*Patty, I appreciate and understand that you may not feel as I do here. FWIW I come from a family that has served in every generation, way, way back in this nation's history and founding, as in you can find my family's name in this nation's highest levels of service. I am proud of it, and of those that served and are serving, whether in my blood family, or my bigger "Family".

I'm all for the conversion of a facility to natural surroundings, but it would be nice to actually have a little of the facility available, even if serving as an office or whatever.

I have had to see the buildings my Grandfather and his brother stayed in get demolished, wiping away pretty much all remaining evidence of the surroundings their fellow Officer's lead their day to day's in, excluding one specific spot.

Now add to that the few remaining vestiges of where they were initially, Pearl Harbor, yes, both were on the base that day, and in my opinion, something is being lost year by year.

You can find a happy medium.

I guess like I said, it's called "Progress". I will miss the places. I will miss the time I spent hiking with family all over these hills around here, learning about each spot.

**I don't know what happened to the rest of the post..stupid server.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The Nike site above China camp is where the old IFC tracking radars were. Typically the radar would be perched on top of a hill or mountain top, and the missile silos were at a lower elevation. The old Nike site at China Camp was the radar connect to the Smith Ranch Nike missile silos- the ones they're about to demolish.

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
I dont know, now that the Russians are getting uppity and the ChiComs are trying to establish a blue water navy.....maybe we should consider keeping the missile sites...

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
cmdrpiffle said:
I dont know, now that the Russians are getting uppity and the ChiComs are trying to establish a blue water navy.....maybe we should consider keeping the missile sites...
Don't forget the N. Koreans working on ballistic missles and already having nukes;)
Plenty of reasons to keep our country well protected.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cmdrpiffle said:
Being that we are the PRC's biggest customer and owe them the most money, they aren't about to destroy the golden goose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.