Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy Lars hangs with all the hip cycling crowd, is almost 6'3, and has never properly ridden a 29"er. My race bike once yes, but only very briefly.

Yesterday was the day of the 6th annual Dutch Singlespeed Champs. The first I ever missed out on. Busy working in my new house, being out of shape. But my bike (a proven contender) was there, hurried around the private property course by its new friend Lars.
No prior SS experience either, not really a racer, so let's throw him into a crazy race, shall we?

Aaah, the unmistakeble first 29" SS experience grin...

He says he's saving up for one of his own now.

Bike : first year Redline Monocog, Surly KM fork, and a mix of cheap and necessarily expensive parts.

When did you last take a rider's 29" cherry? Post proof here!

Happy trails,

J

Attachments

·
surfer w/out waves
613 Posts
29" inch wheels??? ha!
Rigid fork??? Pansy!!!
losing all the gears??? do you want a hug?
psychotic looking Dutchman named "Lars" and a anti-aerodynamic, multicolored picnic plate with a "9" drawn on it???? Holy f%$#@ng balloon animals Batman!!! You're outta your mind!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah Marty, you were there too? Quite international then this event. And large, despite the many regulars who could not make it.

Lars placed 6th, not bad for a non-racer on a new-to-him bike concept. A very dirty and creaky bike, I might add. Surprised he got it to the finish.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stevereeneo said:
I went through all the pics... looks like a fun event!
But where are the podium girls?
S
The cutest girls tend to win their own category. BTW, the organisor is rumored to prefer to kiss all the podium winners himself. j/k JJ...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Cloxxki said:
The cutest girls tend to win their own category. BTW, the organisor is rumored to prefer to kiss all the podium winners himself. j/k JJ...
I agree - but where are the pics of said women's categories? ;)
S

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stevereeneo said:
I agree - but where are the pics of said women's categories? ;)
S
Maybe that says something about the photographers more than about the ladies? :)
I know what I'd be shooting...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Ah Marty, you were there too? Quite international then this event. And large, despite the many regulars who could not make it.
Yeah, I got my @ss handed to me by a bunch of you tall, fast Niederlanders. It was a pretty fun, flat course.

Marty

PS Did some chick break her collarbone there in the twisty tree section a bit after the the clubhouse?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In case of Lars I think the condition is called being a marathon biking enthusiast.

I read read a girl had her shoulder dislocated. She was leading at the time, but DNF.
Leader in the "men's" race crashed out too. Like he did 2 years earlier at the champs, almost promoting himself to a jumping ramp for me, twice. I helped him repair his bike once or twice and then went my own way. Anyway, he (wictor on MTBR) DNF'd, but his bike was ridden to the finish by MavErik (the photo site guy) who had incidentally just bent his seat post, but escaped unhurt himself. Lessen learned : no low-end seatposts in frames a size too low.

Mind you, they rode 11 laps around that course, it was supposedly really brutal with all the tall grass and hidden bumps.

·
kabouterclan member
501 Posts
havnmonkey said:
29" inch wheels??? ha!
Rigid fork??? Pansy!!!
losing all the gears??? do you want a hug?
psychotic looking Dutchman named "Lars" and a anti-aerodynamic, multicolored picnic plate with a "9" drawn on it???? Holy f%$#@ng balloon animals Batman!!! You're outta your mind!
you're damn right. Jealous? :D
rollinon29s said:
skinnyass legs is right, good lord. i dont think mine came that thin out of the womb
and probably not as tall and good looking either ;)
Pabs said:
Lars needs a sammich . . . with extra mayo.
Deme Moore said:
Yeah... what's up with that? I didn't know the Netherlands suffered from malnutrition. You'd think with the spacecakes everyone would be fat from the munchies...
Okay, THIS is where i draw the line. Skinnyass legs, that's fine with me. But don't you EVER, EVER question of what i'm capable of at the dinnertable...
(Eric Wictor on the foreground by the way)

And yes, that's homemade pastasauce in my hair... :D

Now, back on topic :D
Cloxxki said:
In case of Lars I think the condition is called being a marathon biking enthusiast. Mind you, they rode 11 laps around that course, it was supposedly really brutal with all the tall grass and hidden bumps.
I've done some XC in the waaaay past, and have also been doing some marathons. The last few years i less than I used to, but the fun's still there. :D

The course wasn't that hard, really. There were hardpack singletrails in the grass, and the bumps... well it's mountainbiking istn't it? And hardly any uphill.
But a there were a lot of singletrack hairpins. The bike felt really BIG there, don't now if it was the wheels or the sheer size of the bike (my own bike is an RM Element Tribal with 615 toptube and 180mm cranks)).
And I do think my 34-18 was a tad too big, would rather have spun a 19. But what the heck, It was fun. And i got used to the 185mm cranks after ~10 rev's ;-). I would really like to try even longer cranks!

I did some futher "research on the trail" today by the way. "Rondje Posbank" with the same setup. Loads of fun, singletrailbattling with eric Wictor. :)
Uphill is okay, but it get's harder and harder when you're getting tired. There's no downshifting to bail you out uphill.
But that's the point: the "stupidness" and simplicity is what i like about it so far:)

The bike is really stable in corners (it feels somewhat like my road tandem, actually :) ), rolls well, and goes down pretty well.
And, don't tell anyone, I might even be starting to like the freakin' Jones Bar. :D But I still think i could be just as happy with a wide flat bar.

Well, we'll see. It's really cool of Cloxxki to lend me his bike for a while :thumbsup: (even if he's a brainwashing 29er fundamentalist ;) ;) ;) .
I will be using it a lot as long as it's here. See if i like it enough to buy one of those freakbikes myself. Might be cool or winter training! Hell, it might even bring me thicker legs... :D

Happy trails! Larsmussen:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.