Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of getting the Gravity Dropper without the remote, so I could simply move it between my Spot and RFX and save a lot of money. But thinking about this during my last ride, it didn't seem like the GD w/o the remote would be too usefull. Taking my hand off the bar and reaching under my seat in hilly, rocky terrain, while shifting my weight, didn't seem like the thing to do.

So is the remote the only way to go?

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I can only say I really missed my GD on my Spot when I moved it to my RFX. It's sort of a downer riding w/o one after you get spoiled with the quick out-of-the-way action.

The more up-down-up-down your trails are the more useful it is.
Having the remote is a big plus. Being spoiled with it, I personally would not be interested in a non-remote version for my kind of riding. I'm at the point I can change my seat height almost as easy as changing gears.

If your climbs and decents are long intervals then you probably could get away with the non-remote version.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Go with the remoye and a multi-position post as well. It will still swap over fairly quickly. I don't zip-tie my cable in the stick-on guides and that way I just have to unbolt the leaver and loosen the seat clamp to take it off so I can pull the trail-a-bike. I can have it off and on in less than 5 minutes total.

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
scepticshock said:
I have been thinking of getting the Gravity Dropper without the remote, so I could simply move it between my Spot and RFX and save a lot of money. But thinking about this during my last ride, it didn't seem like the GD w/o the remote would be too usefull. Taking my hand off the bar and reaching under my seat in hilly, rocky terrain, while shifting my weight, didn't seem like the thing to do.

So is the remote the only way to go?
i got the decender post (the Gravity Dropper without the remote) for this exact reason a few months ago, and cos i couldnt imagine have any more stuff mounted on my handle bars.

so far so good. im sure that the remote would come in handy but i have developed a pretty wicked one hand technique and i use it 10-20 times each ride.

btw, which ever you get go with the 4" multi position model.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
i've got a multi postion descender (non-remote) one both bikes. love them. haven't had any issues with them, in all sorts of terrain.

no need for the remote for me; it would be nice once in a while, and i'm sure i'd use the post even more if i had it, but still don't want more junk on my bars.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I'm with 'Zilla on this one.

I don't like riding any of my bikes without the GD. I'm probably going to get a second one for my other bike. If I don't, I'll devise a method of removing and installing the GD quickly. Even with tie wraps and the bar mount, it only takes a minute or 2 to set up.

There's no way I'd use the non-remote model since I've been using the GD. IT's just too great!

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
Flyer said:
Is there any wobble in the Gravity Dropper? It seems like there would be a little play with any type of the sleeve-like design, no?
There is a wobble. 90% of the time I can't tell it is there even tho I know it is.

Personally, I would never get another GD without a remote

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Flyer said:
Is there any wobble in the Gravity Dropper? It seems like there would be a little play with any type of the sleeve-like design, no?
like mtn hack stated. very little bit of lateral play, noticable when trying to make it wobble. not noticable or annoying at all when riding. rather, if i think about it, i can notice it, but it isn't bothersome whatsoever.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Good choice!

I had the Decender Post and then moved the the GD with remote its way better and you find you use it more because you can, I also havent had a trip over the bars since moving from the decender post cause my hands are always on the bars, I just found sometimes using one hand dropping the post and switching while riding at light speed with oncoming obstacles was not a good idea..

You find this as you have more confidence once having the ability to drop the saddle height!

Just be carful not to over tighten the clamp on the bar its easliy done and you'll crack the mounting bracket!

Enjoy its in the top ten of all time products imo.

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
Q

trailadvent said:
Good choice!

I had the Decender Post and then moved the the GD with remote its way better and you find you use it more because you can, I also havent had a trip over the bars since moving from the decender post cause my hands are always on the bars, I just found sometimes using one hand dropping the post and switching while riding at light speed with oncoming obstacles was not a good idea..

You find this as you have more confidence once having the ability to drop the saddle height!

Just be carful not to over tighten the clamp on the bar its easliy done and you'll crack the mounting bracket!

Enjoy its in the top ten of all time products imo.
trailadvent
did you buy the whole unit or just add the remote after market? from looking at it it looks possible. thanks peter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.