Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
troubled economist
591 Posts
Don't own one...

...but OG's main guy (David) is located in Portland, OR. I've seen a couple of the demo bikes at Black Rock before, but never rode. Take that back, I pedaled and bounced around on their big bike once in a parking lot. I'm not sure if they have any non-prototype frames in production, but I've been impressed w/ the finish/machining in person.

I'd say if you have a question, hit up the One Ghost Industries site or blog and email David, he's usually a pretty responsive guy.

·
OneGhostIndustries
5 Posts
Cheers!

We are in production on our Tanto frame now as well as the Proletariat Belt drive bike from our Stop Cycles brand (www.stopcycles.com).
We are ready to go into production on our Longbow and Genken frames also.
We are testing a second DH frame named the Musashi which will be available late 2010 as a 2011 frame. Our Katana DH frame in on a diet currently and will be available by summer this year. The Wakizashi is undergoing some minor changes to lower the travel and putting a bend in the down tube to allow for a piggy back shock. With the help of pro slopestyle rider Nick Simicik, the new bike will be ready by spring this year also.

hit us up any time:
[email protected]

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
oneghost said:
We are in production on our Tanto frame now as well as the Proletariat Belt drive bike from our Stop Cycles brand (www.stopcycles.com).
We are ready to go into production on our Longbow and Genken frames also.
We are testing a second DH frame named the Musashi which will be available late 2010 as a 2011 frame. Our Katana DH frame in on a diet currently and will be available by summer this year. The Wakizashi is undergoing some minor changes to lower the travel and putting a bend in the down tube to allow for a piggy back shock. With the help of pro slopestyle rider Nick Simicik, the new bike will be ready by spring this year also.

hit us up any time:
[email protected]
your bikes did really caught my attention at I-bike. didn't get a chance to talk to you guys but would like to know more of the suspension platform. looks to me like a smilar DW or Maestro/vpp type of parallel linkage of a bike. is the axle path a rearward?

·
OneGhostIndustries
5 Posts
nothing like a DW or Maestro set up. the geometry and link movement are way different and thus creating a different wheel/axle path for sure. the bikes have a rearward path at the first part of the stroke (the travel depends on the bike) followed by a vertical axle path and finally the axle comes closer to the center of the BB shrinking the wheelbase at just before bottom out. this is for when you g-out through a berm or landing and the short wheelbase and BB height will allow you to accelerate the bike like a hard tail. All the while the floating shock keeps the travel bottomless feeling and glued to the ground.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
oneghost said:
nothing like a DW or Maestro set up. the geometry and link movement are way different and thus creating a different wheel/axle path for sure. the bikes have a rearward path at the first part of the stroke (the travel depends on the bike) followed by a vertical axle path and finally the axle comes closer to the center of the BB shrinking the wheelbase at just before bottom out. this is for when you g-out through a berm or landing and the short wheelbase and BB height will allow you to accelerate the bike like a hard tail. All the while the floating shock keeps the travel bottomless feeling and glued to the ground.
So with the Katana And Musahi (sp) what are the difference there besides weight. And also what suspension charateristics do they have and also any more rider input detail on the bike in the Original Post. Apologies for all the question. Just quite intersted in bike line up. Any way to demo these bad boys?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Very interesting looking lineup. Visually, the suspension setup looks very similar to Iron horse's DW lineup from the past few years. However, I suppose the manipulation of the links would result in a completely different axle path and ride characteristic.

I really like the katana. Awesome to see some rad looking new designs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So let me get this straight, the axle path goes backward, then vertical, and finally forward? Crap, I gotta get myself one of these.

And the floating shock makes it feel bottomless and glued to the ground? Could you explain the science?

I'm sorry, but they could use to cut some of the marketing bs out. They do look like pretty nice bikes though.

·
OneGhostIndustries
5 Posts
doodooboi said:
So with the Katana And Musahi (sp) what are the difference there besides weight. And also what suspension characteristics do they have and also any more rider input detail on the bike in the Original Post. Apologies for all the question. Just quite interested in bike line up. Any way to demo these bad boys?
The shock placement on the katana with its forward rotating links helps to pull the wheel forward during the last 1/4 of travel. and the placement keeps the weight at the BB and provides a degree of forward kinetic energy to the bike. The Katana was designed to be a WC level rig with the Musashi being more of a lighter weight privateer or domestic racer. The Musashi is expected to come in at about 10 lbs for a 17" frame with an Elka coil shock. The Katana should weigh in at about 13 lbs. Current build on the Katana is 43 lbs with stainless steel pivot axles and a no-nonsense parts package. The final bike due this year will loose about 4 lbs from the frame by going to a hydroformed tubeset, more CNC machining and aluminum axles (we are also adding a sliding dropout to allow 1" of wheelbase movement so stay's will be adjustable from 17" to 18" and anywhere in between that. We are using the same type of system we developed for the Tanto for this.

here is a review from mountain bike magazine during a test they did for an upcoming issue... the bike they rode was one of the prototype frames.....

.."This bike is big, burly and not to be toyed with. It likes to go very fast and will consume all gravity given the slightest provocation. This bike, other than being hella strong, has two unique performance features that I really liked.
The first is air. I found the bike a little difficult to catch big air on dirt-jump style ramps. I assume it is due to weight and suspension absorbing the face of the jump (and my non-DJ skills). But drops, on the other hand, are like nothing I have ever ridden. I found launching off drops and wood ramps to be easier than ever and I flew farther than normal. Landings were amazing smooth. I can't explain how the rear suspension feels different but it does. It almost felt like the bike had endless travel. However, on at least 2 drops I did feel the rear "rub" or "grind." Johnathon heard it and thought I bottomed out the rear but it didn't feel that way. It just sounded like the tire rubbed against something but there was no accompanying "brake feel." So I'm not sure what that was about.
The second feature that I loved was cornering. We were running on some awesome tires, Muddy Marys, and the dirt was a mixed hard/soft/wet. Basically the trail surface was unpredictable. But that didn't seem to bother the Katana. When we got the bike from Rob he explained that it should be driven like a Porsche; "Haul ass into the corners, brake, turn and let go." That is so right. Given the slick conditions we were in the corners wanted to slide. This was no problem. The above brake, turn and go technique combined with a little purposeful slide ate the corners like cake. This was the closest I have come to drifting around a bermed corner. The bike held a solid line while having the rear kicked out in a slide.

I'd love to write more but apparently have to go. "

Hope some of this was not too full of marketing hype. I just design and build what I think is the coolest thing out there. Been riding for over 20 years and racing 16 of those 20 years so I have a small idea of what works and def. of what I like.

Floating suspension helps keep the rear wheel glued to the ground at all times by giving a variable spring rate and movement to the shock. it is like having negative travel built in where the bike (not just ours but all bikes with a floating shock...Mondraker, Trek, Pivot....) the suspension pushes into the ground rather than pushing away from the ground.

think about it like this.. a statically mounted shock only allows a static movement for the suspension, a dynamic shock mount will allow the rear wheel to track the ground under any condition. With a static shock mount the wheel and rear moving parts are at the mercy of the ground and they just want to bounce when the wheel hits a bump. A dynamic shock mount will allow the rear wheel to move with the terrain giving it true suspension. We just use a different type of link to achieve a different axle path, something I felt was lacking in any bike out there today.

·
OneGhostIndustries
5 Posts
Pslide said:
So let me get this straight, the axle path goes backward, then vertical, and finally forward? Crap, I gotta get myself one of these.

And the floating shock makes it feel bottomless and glued to the ground? Could you explain the science?

I'm sorry, but they could use to cut some of the marketing bs out. They do look like pretty nice bikes though.
I try to not be too marketing heavy, I know it gets annoying (it does to me with other companies at least!) I was a marketing guy for a hand full of other companies and went to school for it so it is in my blood. I'll try to tone it down a bit more.
Thanks for the though and fairness!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.