Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a lot of info out there that is current that I could find here or on the net. Maybe I have just missed the updated stuff? Any links appreciated! I've looked at Trailforks, Singletracks, and MTB Project.

I'll be in a rental car that is probably not MTB transport friendly aka compact, so will be renting and riding a FS from Lowe Riders which makes either park a possibility from the looks of it.

Checked out the trails on Trailforks. Per Trailforks, Marsh may have a higher concentration of harder trails, but I am also not against a high mileage flowy day either if Harmony sets up for a nice long single day loop. I am comfortable on black trails and like jumps / features.

I'm leaning towards a big loop in Harmony, but I am open to whatever is going to provide the best one day experience for a solo rider.

Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Harmony is a good bit smaller than Marsh, and you're either going up or down hill. Both of those places you can ride to from town. You can ride up the Struble trail into Marsh Creek and get a decent ride in that way, the paved trail to get to Marsh is about 3-4 miles. If you're really feeling a long ride you can ride both of them in the same day. Theres around 20ish miles of trail at Marsh and around 7-8 at Harmony.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harmony is a good bit smaller than Marsh, and you're either going up or down hill. Both of those places you can ride to from town. You can ride up the Struble trail into Marsh Creek and get a decent ride in that way, the paved trail to get to Marsh is about 3-4 miles. If you're really feeling a long ride you can ride both of them in the same day. Theres around 20ish miles of trail at Marsh and around 7-8 at Harmony.
Thanks J,

If you only had a day, knowing what you know, where would you go? From reading between the lines, I get the sense Marsh?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well if you want a longer ride I would say Marsh. Both are fun, I prefer Harmony, but I ride there 3-4 times a week. Marsh Creek State Park - Maplets that link shows a map that is mostly recent. Take struble trail up to Dorlan Mill road. Make a right, ride up the climb for a bit and you'll see a dirt lot on your left. There is a fun trail off to the left of the dirt lot that takes you down to the bottom of the dam. You can climb up the gravel or a trail to the right to the top of the dam. Theres a trail that runs along the lake to the west side boat launch and there are some trails further north of that. The stuff on the east side of the lake is called the "bonus loop" pretty fun in either direction.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone is interested in how it went. I posted below in NorCal regional forum:

Out for business trip. Rained last night pretty hard, but only for a little bit. Made reservations at LoweRider Bikes in Downingtown for a Felt Compulsion FS. It was a nice bike but almost as heavy as my fat bike, I swear! There are two trail systems in Downingtown, Harmony Hills and Marsh Creek. Given the rain, I dl'd a loop from Trailforks for Harmony and confirmed that was the better call at the shop.

Started off on an easy green which faded to a game trail to nothing pretty fast. Multiple trails split off but they weren't on Trailforks and I had already mapped a 15 mile plus loop, so I didn't want to stray too far.

Turned around then started some really rooted up stretches that had tons of man made / log type features. Super fun! After that, hit Harmony proper for more good stuff. I rode their black trail, it isn't, and the extension as an out and back. Threw in a mini loop on the yellow loop (that's the name).

Ended up at the bike shop about 15 minutes after it started pouring. Had to walk to a nearby Planet Fitness to buy a towel to protect the rental car seat as I was covered in mud. Ended up doing 18 per Strava, but since my Fitbit lost GPS for a good stretch, it was more like 20 miles / 2K climbing Legit ride, I am tired!

Natural environment Forest Old-growth forest Woodland Soil

Air time!

Vegetation Natural environment Plant Plant community Soil

Rolling a cool log bridge over a creek.

Natural environment Plant community Soil Forest Old-growth forest

Cool banked turn / half pipe section just before entering Harmony Hills proper.

Vegetation Natural environment Trail Forest Nature reserve

Harmony had lots of cool stuff like this over logs and rocks. Just take it with some speed and all good!

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Mountain bike Bicycle frame

High speed turn in the last DH out.

All in all a great day and the cheap folding tripod I bought off of Amazon worked great. It's a keeper!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Harmony is a lot of fun, they're my local trails. Not a lot of mileage but if you do a few loops it's good. And you're right, the black isn't really a black, but I think it's the most fun downhill there along with the orange (furthest north trail). Glad you enjoyed it & nice photos.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely not a knock on the black. It was a very fun ride, I just kept looking down the trail for the hard stuff and it never materialized! Some of the off camber rooty stuff after the little well / foundation thing before the end at Sugars Bridge Rd was probably the most technical I found.

I was stoked on the ride and *almost* beat the rain back!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad you found the fun stuff. That side isn't part of Harmony proper, but I think its the most fun stuff in the area. Good call on Harmony after a rain, it drains pretty well especially compared to Marsh. Stoked you had fun. Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.