Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm riding Avid SD7 V brakes, and I'm pretty happy with that setup. My front wheel is due for replacement soon, but my back wheel is fine. Would it make sense to upgrade to disc in the front only? Disc up front only is a common setup for cars, so why not bikes?

I do almost all my riding in dry conditions, and can easily apply enough force to lock up the back wheel with my V brakes at any speed. I guess I'd have to retrain myself to apply less pressure to the front brake lever, but I've already learned to apply more, so maybe it would feel natural to back off the front a little.

From what I've heard it's certainly worth the extra half pound or so to put disc up front. But why bother with the extra weight and maintenance in the back where braking force is plentiful anyway?
G

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
geeride7 said:
Hi!
I'm riding Avid SD7 V brakes, and I'm pretty happy with that setup. My front wheel is due for replacement soon, but my back wheel is fine. Would it make sense to upgrade to disc in the front only? Disc up front only is a common setup for cars, so why not bikes?

I do almost all my riding in dry conditions, and can easily apply enough force to lock up the back wheel with my V brakes at any speed. I guess I'd have to retrain myself to apply less pressure to the front brake lever, but I've already learned to apply more, so maybe it would feel natural to back off the front a little.

From what I've heard it's certainly worth the extra half pound or so to put disc up front. But why bother with the extra weight and maintenance in the back where braking force is plentiful anyway?
G
No no, you got everything perfect. I can't comment on why more people don't use a disc front/v rear setup, but at any rate myself and others have used and/or are using it now and personally I see now problems with it. Great way to save those few extra grams (i'm a WW, so it means something to me - especially at the back of the bike) and ultimately the brake modulation comes from you. Plenty of other pro's to it, as far as i'm concerned, but you have the brunt of it figured out already. :thumbsup:

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I agree that it's a good intermediary step when upgrading. I did the same thing.

But good braking is more that just locking up the wheel and "stopping power". It's about applying the exact amount of braking force to put you at the right speed. Locking up the brakes makes you skid and once you start to skid, you lose control. Disc brakes have far superior modulation that give this control.

So a front brake gets you 75% of the way there (at 1/3 of the cost) but there are advantages to discs front and rear.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
my next bike will likely have v-brake rear and disc front. having said that, i would probably do disc in rear as well.....but frame will likely not have disc mount and it will be fun to try something new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts