Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on running one disc brake on a Pugsley? I was thinking of running a front disc only. How much stoppping power does one need at 8-10 mph. I was thinking front because of the shorter cable, better stopping power (I'm guessing), and ease of alignment when going in/out of the horizontal drops.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
why?

I've run one brake for short periods on various bikes. things are fine in normal conditions. a couple panic stops or just regular stops on ice made me realize that two brakes are a good thing for staying healthy...

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
You see alot of snow bikes built with a rear only brake, not front only. My guess is to prevent the front wheel from washing out on slippery surface. Also maybe tire clearance when running a 100mm axel front fork.

I'm running front and rear brakes. Those wheels have a ton of rotational mass to stop. Front and rear brakes give me the warm and fuzzies. I wouldn't discount the speed of the pug in dry conditions. I've seen some guys on PUGs rival AM bikes through rock gardens.

Give it a try and let us know how it works for the type of riding you do. The one thing I've learned from these forums are there is no wrong config for you PUG. Just ride it. :)

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I think it varies front to rear to both with snow bikes. I tend to run front disk only on my snow setup. It works fine and i've yet to have it wash out on slippery surfaces due to braking.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've never ridden a Pug, but on my Sandman I do need a 3x9 gear setup and definitely two brakes. For the moment Avid Code's with 180mm disks.
But I need to upgrade to 200mm disks because those brakes just can't handle the speeds the bike is capable of in combination with the bigger rotational forces.

Does anyone know if the Maverick SC32 is strong enough for such a big disks ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
i ride my pug as a do it all, yes i commute daily on it... i use bb7's with 203mm (8 inch) rotors, and it stops.5-10mph is easy to say at first, but trust me once you get "used to it" you will be thrashing that thing, my pug is a purple winged beast, the most fun i have is flying through traffic, then detouring through a random park and hitting some rock garden diagonally at high speed before dropping off the edge of the park to high tail it through backstreets its unstoppable. At first i thought: "this will be a great single track bike that i can cruise to and from the milkbar with aswell".... which is like saying "ill try crack once it might help me study and then only on special occassions".

also, slam on a front brake to avoid an unexpected obstacle like a fast moving car, or a stubborn dog and your going over the bars for sure, slam on a rear only and your going to eventually stop after a long ass skid, slam on both and you just stop.

your going to love the pug...post some photos?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Age said:
At first i thought: "this will be a great single track bike that i can cruise to and from the milkbar with aswell".... which is like saying "ill try crack once it might help me study and then only on special occassions".
hahahaha. can't wait to get mine on the frickin road! aggg!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts