Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i broke my scott ransom 10 frame again. Last year was the rocker arm this year the chain stay. the bike is a 2007 and has been road hard. the funny thing is the carbon has never broke, just the metal alloy. For the most part it has been a good bike but has had some issues. But i have loved the versatility from big backcountry rides like 7 summits in rossland. To 23,000 vert in one day at silver mt ski resort here in north idaho.

But i keep wondering if i should get a 4 inch trail bike and a full on downhill bike. I only do the ski resort thing a couple of days a year. and the ride the frame broke on was a 12 mile fire road climb (2 1\2 hour climb) followed by a 7 mile single track ridge ride with a 3 mile single track downhill. I was 2\3 of the way thru the ridge ride section when the chainstay broke. So i do like the all mountain side of things. long grunt followed by trail than bomb's away. Most of my after work rides around here are a hour climb followed by a good dowhill.

What do you think? 6 inch all mountain or 4 inch trail and a downhill bike?
If if matters i am 6'1 210 and ride aggresively. I reside in north idaho with alot of rooty rocky, mountain terrain, not to many flowy, flat trails.

thanks
tim

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
For your size and terrain get a Knolly Delerium and call it good!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
If you can afford it, by all means go for two bikes. One 'in between' bike will do both, but not as well as two task specific bikes. Myself, I'd get a 5 or 6" (built lightish for a trail bike) and a DH bike. I don't think a 4" xc bike would be enough for me and the way I like to ride on the way down.

·
Big Test Icycles
1,480 Posts
I just got rid of two bikes (5" and 7") and replaced them with a Firebird. I was very surprised at the performance of the bird. It may not be a WC DH racer but I bet it will hold it's own during my next Whistler trip. My 7" bike was sitting more often than I liked so the Firebird fits the bill for more trail than shuttle days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
If you can afford it, by all means go for two bikes. One 'in between' bike will do both, but not as well as two task specific bikes. Myself, I'd get a 5 or 6" (built lightish for a trail bike) and a DH bike. I don't think a 4" xc bike would be enough for me and the way I like to ride on the way down.
I agree, I don't think most 4" bikes would fit what you like to do with your "every day" bike so get a 5-6" bike and a DH bike.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I was in the same boat as you somewhat and geuss what,my name is also Tim and im 6-2 210Lbs...:thumbsup:Lol...I read many threads like this and reviews and finally ended up with a SC Nomad and I could not be happier,especially now since I ditched the air suspension and went coil.With XT components,Mavic tubeless and Fox RC4/Van 36 im just over 32Lbs,perfect for a bigger guy like me.This thing climbs excellent (dual ring front) and bombs down even better.The geo is spot on and cornering/jumping is a blast!Good luck in the search,who needs two bikes!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you only do the dowhill thing a cuople times a year, then just rent a DH bike for that. IMHO, they are waaay too expensive to buy if you're not going to ride it very often.

If you DID ride DH a lot, I would say get a Specialized Pitch and a Specialized Demo, or maybe a Kona Dawg and a Kona Operator or something like that.

Otherwise buy a Cove G-spot.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
For your size and terrain get a Knolly Delerium and call it good!

Have FUN!

G MAN
Given your size, I think Gman is onto something. If you don't need all the travel you could just go w/ the 6" Chilcotin. I doubt you're gonna break a Knolly frame!

I think you could consider some other beefier AM or FR bikes that can pedal like the like the Transition Bottlerocket, Cove Gspot, Trek Slash air, and Specialized SX Trail.

The Firebird sounds like an awesome long travel trail bike- but there's a few stories out there of broken frames when people tried to ride them like Nomads : P

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
If, for financial/ space/ marital harmony/ whatever reasons you're limited to 1 expensive bike or 2 kinda OK ones, I think you can build a pretty damn good do-it-all around something like a Delerium, an SX Trail, etc. If you can afford it though, multiple bikes is the way to go. I've got 5 mountain bikes at this point, and while that's a bit more than I "need", I'm glad I at least have a dedicated AM bike and a DH bike.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
I tried to go the one bike route last year (knolly delirium) and while it was fun I really missed having 2 bikes. The delirium was great at most things but when you started to get to the extremes (pure XC or nasty DH) I realized im a 2 bike guy.

Now I have a slackened out blur lt2 and a Banshee legend mk2 and am completely happy with my decision.

I will say though that I ride DH at least once a week and the guys I usually ride with all ride their DH bikes on every trail so that played a big role in my decision.

If you go the one bike route then get something like the Nomad, Enduro, Firebird, Chilcotin, Rune, or any other of the 6" travel bikes that are popular right now. They will handle the uphill good and the DH pretty good too.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Considering your weight, I would go with something a bit heavier than your typical 6" AM fame as a one and only bike. I love my Nomad but I think you'll kill it @ your weight unless you also own a DH bike. Most 7" (frames around 8lbs) with a 180 fork should fit the bill nicely.At your weight, I would think you're asking for trouble if you buy a 6 to 7lbs AM frame and pound it like a DH bike. Here's a few bikes I like that I think would work for a big guy as a one bike: Bullit, VP Free, Morewood Shova LT, Banshee wild card, Turner High Line....

A cool thing you can do with the VP Free is "short Shock" it. Run a 8.5x2.5 shock, it slackens and lowers the BB and reduces travel to 160. With a 150x12 rear, slack geo, with the ability to climb, you've got a real do anything machine! Head Angle with a 180 fork is around 65. Really feels like a mini DH that you can still xc with. Frame weight is only 1.5 to 2lbs over a nomad I think?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Slim,really?When have you heard of Nomads being "killed"?Im about his size & weight and beat the $hit out of mine and it is showing no signs of anything!As for the OP,a freeride bike is not what hes looking for,although those are some nice bikes you have mentioned!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
i agree with slim. I weigh 215 geared up and I ve broken several 6" frames without even going all that big (most recently a Rune-within warranty period though). Now I use a Bullit with a single-crown 7" fork as a do-it-all bike and really enjoying it, no problems climbing and utmost confidence on the descents (though i think the bullit pedals better than many 7" fr bikes). Rune is relegated to lighter-duty riding with tons of climbing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I tried for several years for the one bike setup and it simply never worked. If you're doing less demanding downhill and ride where the climbs are not severe you can get away with it but try pedaling a 35 lb AM rig over the Lenawee in Colorado or riding a 29 lb 5" travel trail bike down High Speed Dirt or Jam Rock at Keystone. Alas I'm back to one bike for going up and one for going down albeit my going up bike has a hint of DH geometry in the Banshee Spitfire.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I tried for several years for the one bike setup and it simply never worked. If you're doing less demanding downhill and ride where the climbs are not severe you can get away with it but try pedaling a 35 lb AM rig over the Lenawee in Colorado or riding a 29 lb 5" travel trail bike down High Speed Dirt or Jam Rock at Keystone. Alas I'm back to one bike for going up and one for going down albeit my going up bike has a hint of DH geometry in the Banshee Spitfire.
Love my new Spitty!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Slim,really?When have you heard of Nomads being "killed"?Im about his size & weight and beat the $hit out of mine and it is showing no signs of anything!As for the OP,a freeride bike is not what hes looking for,although those are some nice bikes you have mentioned!
Don't get me wrong, I'm a nomad lover. I've pounded mine for 2.5 years and have been very happy with it. I weigh 150 though. The nomad is light and tough, but most heavy guys just kill stuff. Reason I don't recommend the nomad is because he said he maybe wants one bike that can sub for a DH bike at times. Heavy guys and regular DH on a nomad is probably asking for trouble. I'm glad your nomad is solid for, but you may be super smooth. Some guys kill stuff others don't. I have marks on my non drive side chain stay from it flexing into my crank arm! Just think if weighed 200lbs or more. I've owned a bullit, and vp free, I think they are better options for heavy guys that kill parts, and you have 150 rear options on those bikes unlike the nomad, and they are both rated dual crowns. Nomad is only rated for a 180 fork. Depending on how much DH a guy wants to do, I would want a dual crown option for my one do all bike.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Looks like we ride the same trails! I just got back from riding Trestle DH on my morewood Izumi, no lift ticket. I have it set up with a 32t and 11/34 cassette so climbing the rd is no big deal. My nomad is out of commission with a busted lower link, so I'm using my DH bike as an AM right now. My nomad will handle everything at WP and Keystone but I like having a DH bike because they are fun. I've done Lenewee with add on local's trails around montezuma making a long epic xc loop including out of bounds keystone stuff, but my nomad weights 31.5, that's with a 8" front rotor 2.5 tires and 36 180. Very capable bike that I feel is the perfect do all bike, but not necessarily for heavy guys that have a history of braking stuff. A guy can def have one bike that they can do anything on including epic xc and gnar DH. If I had to sell my DH bike, I would still ride the same lines at our resorts as well as epic xc stuff on my nomad.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts