Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Can I suggest you spend a little time getting your seat in the right spot? Start off with the clamps in the middle of the rails or just a little towards the front (seat pushed back.) You may also want to look at some flat bars to keep your bars down. Lower bars improve climbing and especially out of the saddle leverage. Salsa, FSA and Bontrager make some nice wide and swept versions.

Otherwise you got yerself some nice parts. Good spec.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Thylacine - maybe he wanted that stuff that way on purpose. The bars on my WW are level with my seat and I have no problem climbing. This ain't your nancy-boy 26" bike, you don't have to have your bars 4" lower than your seat, thereby ruining your chances of ever having an erection ever again, to climb. The 29" tires and longer chainstays take care of that for you. The climbing, not the erection thing. That's your own responsibility.

·
artistic...
7,621 Posts
mward said:
Thylacine - maybe he wanted that stuff that way on purpose. The bars on my WW are level with my seat and I have no problem climbing. This ain't your nancy-boy 26" bike, you don't have to have your bars 4" lower than your seat, thereby ruining your chances of ever having an erection ever again, to climb. The 29" tires and longer chainstays take care of that for you. The climbing, not the erection thing. That's your own responsibility.
real men ride w/ seats clamped all the way forward meaning ill fitting long top tubes.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
colker1 said:
real men ride w/ seats clamped all the way forward meaning ill fitting long top tubes.
I had a similar thought, but it was reversed. I was thinking "real men ride w/ seats clamped all the way BACKWARDS meaning ill fitting SHORT top tubes."

Although, the above bike appears to fit more into your capturing of the manliness.

I am betting that Walt wouldn't build a guy an illfitting bike (unless the buyer dictated the exact geometries. I would further guess/bet that the owner simply hasn't dialed in the fit/setup yet. I know it takes me 2-3 rides to get all my stuff set up right (layback/straight post, saddle fore/aft, saddle nose angle, stem flipped up/down, which rise of bar, amount spacers above/below the stem, the angle of my dangle of levers/shifters, etc).

Bottomline: great looking bike, great parts selection, ride it, get it dialed, report back... :thumbsup:

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
z0s01 said:
Got it in Monday...just got finished building.
I love baby blue... When I was a real racer (well, a wannabee real racer), I had a blue bike and everytime I was hurting and dropped my head I saw that soothing blue... I'll bet it goes fast too!

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
looks great! although I would say that is more of a 'little boy blue' as opposed to 'baby blue'. Baby blue is more of a pastel, lighter blue... like the frame I am waiting on.

I chose that color months ago, after seeing two bikes that color ('Timo' and 'sslos'), since then I have seen a bunch up here on mtbr! i was ahead of the fad, i swear! i saw that band in an empty pub in liverpool in 1911!!!!

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Thylacine said:
Can I suggest you spend a little time getting your seat in the right spot? Start off with the clamps in the middle of the rails or just a little towards the front (seat pushed back.) You may also want to look at some flat bars to keep your bars down. Lower bars improve climbing and especially out of the saddle leverage. Salsa, FSA and Bontrager make some nice wide and swept versions.

I would point the seat towards the sky, jam the post all the way down, and get some roadie drop bars, but flip them up.

try chewing betel nuts and swearing at your women while riding steep singletrack. and keeping an erection. much more difficult than it sounds.

·
artistic...
7,621 Posts
ncj01 said:
I had a similar thought, but it was reversed. I was thinking "real men ride w/ seats clamped all the way BACKWARDS meaning ill fitting SHORT top tubes."

Although, the above bike appears to fit more into your capturing of the manliness.

I am betting that Walt wouldn't build a guy an illfitting bike (unless the buyer dictated the exact geometries. I would further guess/bet that the owner simply hasn't dialed in the fit/setup yet. I know it takes me 2-3 rides to get all my stuff set up right (layback/straight post, saddle fore/aft, saddle nose angle, stem flipped up/down, which rise of bar, amount spacers above/below the stem, the angle of my dangle of levers/shifters, etc).

Bottomline: great looking bike, great parts selection, ride it, get it dialed, report back... :thumbsup:
i totally agre.. it was the "nancy boy 26er" retarded cliche that inspired the joke. i wouldn't waste a joke..

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
Nice bike. You'll love it. I was blown away when I first rode my Walt, I'm sure you will be as well. It still really makes me smile.

As a note, I'm still messing with my seat. Not due to fit, just trying some different saddles. Take your time with the fit and get it right.

Then, post a ride report!! Enjoy!

·
2,856 Posts
z0s01 said:
Jeez...I haven't even ridden it yet, I just slapped the seat on there so I could snap a photo.
Heh-heh, I was thinking the same thing "Cut the guy a break. He probably threw it all together to post some great pics and in his excitement and haste he didn't make everything look just perfect!"

Beautiful looking ride and enjoy the Walt - I have loved mine for 13 months and counting.

Ed E

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
makes me laugh when someone posts a pic of their new pride and joy, and BANG, people start saying you should do this, you should do that. :madman: :madman: I had the same thing two weeks ago, just built it. Always do the final adjustments out on the ride, and man alive, they were into me, your seat is this ya seat is that........................Sorry a little rant, but it aint amusing, and yes I am having a good day, about to go ride, so cant get bertter..:thumbsup:

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Thylacine said:

Uh...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.